Tell us your get healthy story- I am starting to eat healthy and want to hear it!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Tell us your get healthy story- I am starting to eat healthy and want to hear it!

(I know this is long - if you get tired, read the end and kindly think on answering my questions? Thank you!)

I recently realized just how bad my family was eating. I have read up on things like fast food and prepackaged before, but never took it seriously. I knew it was bad for us, but how bad could it be, everyone eats it, right? HA!

So just before New Years, we gave up fast food completely. I had been eating it "only once a week or when we are out at mealtimes." What a way to rationalize. Because I was eating it less than "mainstream america" I was healthy, right? LOL anyway, since we gave it up, we are all feeling better. My stomach has been settling much easier, and some of my kids behaviors are less. Also, my mom, who has many medical issues says her stomach feels better, too.

So I decided to take it further and look at the processed foods in my house. I was under the assumption that because I only used boxed foods once in a while, I must be healthy. Not realizing that even "ingredients" can be processed. Peanut butter and jelly. Bacon (which I am not sure I can give up!), syrup for goodness sakes. The "maple syrup" I have on my counter is apparently not maple syrup at all, but a blend of sugars and corn syrups mixed with maple flavoring. Gah!

So - I have been reading the ingredient lists on everything in my house. Aside from milk (which we can't buy raw here), eggs, pasta, staples like flour and sugar, and some canned goods - everything seems to have other ingredients in it. I assumed (like - well, you know what assumptions do) that pancake mix had flour, sugar, baking powder, etc in it. It also has HFCS, preservatives (I guess I should have known that) and some other stuff I don't know what it is!

I guess what I am saying is:
    1. When did you learn - how long have you been eating healthier
    2. What did you learn - what about foods caused you to do this (for those of you who have been eating this way your whole lives - that's awesome, but maybe what did your parents know that they taught to you.
    3. What are the MAIN foods others might consider ingredients that you insist on making yourself (insist being a good word here, no negativity). So I just realized I will be making my own pancake mix and syrups. We have been making our own bread because I can't find a healthy brand we can afford. Etc. What are yours?
    4. What has eating healthy done for you! I wanna know all the good stuff!

Thank you!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am 55 years old and take large doses of blood pressure and cholesterol medications. I KNEW I needed to change my habits, but it always got put on the back burner. December 8 the doctor told me I had to go on diabetes medication.

I told him to give me 90 days. I have a friend that was in the same situation and with diet and exercise he lowered his blood sugar in 90 days. That was over a year ago and he is doing well still.

I came home that day, signed up for myfitnesspal.com, went on a 1200 calorie a day diet, and vowed to use the treadmill AT LEAST 5 days a week. I am constantly researching healthier choices and tweaking what I eat. I am consistently under my allowed calories and carbs. I am doing very good with my cholesterol, protein, and fat. I am still working on my sodium intake. It is improved, but needs more improvement.

It has been a little over 45 days and I have lost 15 lbs.! I am feeling better, have more energy, and am wearing some of my smaller clothes that I haven't been able to wear in several years!

I go back to the doctor in early March. I am hoping to have lost 30 lbs. by then. I am on track for that number! I am now out of the obese range on the Body Mass Index and in the Overweight Range. I need to lose a total of 35 lbs. to get into the Normal range.

THIS is a life long change that I am determined to stick with for the rest of my life. I also should be able to get off of the cholesterol meds completely and lower or do away with the blood pressure meds.

Not paying for all those drugs will give me more money to spend on ME and my Harley!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations, Mary!!! That is wonderful. I have full confidence that you can meet your goals

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well a few years back three people in three weeks had asked me if I was pregnant and I wasn't! That was enough for me to start eating better.

I had joined ediets.com and that really really worked for me. It was easy, you choose your meals for the week, print out your shopping list and you're done. I stuck to that plan like glue for about 6 mos. After that it was second nature to not eat fast food or processed food.

I stuck with that for a few years but have to admit I slipped back to my old ways.

BUT I saved all of my recipes from when I was on ediets and this past weekend I made up a menu for the week and I've already made the dishes so all I have to do is stick to it.

Exercise will be next, after I get my food in place.

Clean eating is what "they" call it. If its not clean, don't eat it!

Registered User thesightofoneself's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frugal is fun View Post
    well a few years back three people in three weeks had asked me if I was pregnant and I wasn't!

been there

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I'm not model of perfect eating. But...

I gave up fast food when I watched Super Size Me. Right now we stop at McDonalds/Burger King/etc. less than once a year - mostly when we can't avoid it (like it's the only place to eat on the highway on a long trip). I feel healthier - I can't quite explain it.

I also found it easier to eat more healthily since we started grocery shopping at Trader Joe's. Now, they do have plenty of things that aren't healthy, but they also have a good selection of food that isn't overly processed. Ingredients on the peanut butter jar: peanuts, salt.

They also don't have all the salty stuff that I personally find really tempting - I really like those rice/noodle and sauce mixes, box soups - the stuff that is basically all salt and preservatives. I LOVE that stuff. But since they don't have that stuff at Trader Joe's, it's easier not to eat it.

I think that other than Super Size Me, the book The Omnivore's Dillema (sp?) really made me think it through and try and change my ways.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I saw that movie recently as well. What a wake-up call, huh?