anyone ever make yogurt? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    It looks easy enough.... with the right equipment. Would someone who's done this before like to tell me about their experience with it?

DH likes yogurt and it's one of the healthy snacks he can have, but at $1+ per serving (for the good ones) buying him enough snacks for the week is going to get expensive. I thought I'd look into making it, so we can control the sugar and keep costs down.
    By using Yogurt making machine I did it myself. It makes one pound of yogurt. I pour milk into the container and add some yogurt and after a couple of hours I have more yogurt. It tastes great, I add fruit, sometimes just sugar and I also use it for cooking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I acquired a vintage plug-in Salton yogurt maker. I am finally trying it out today. It (the milk) is on the stove and I am waiting for it to cool down to the "add starter" level on the nifty little spoon it came with. I will let you know how it comes out!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually nuke the milk to get it up to the right temp, then set the bowl in an ice water bath in the kitchen sink. It takes too long to cool otherwise, IMO.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You were right about taking a long time to cool! I will be making yogurt on a weekend off from now on because it takes so long to set. The yogurt seems to have come out pretty good. I don't care for plain yogurt however, and I don't have the motivation to add fruit to it right now lol. I am going to try to get some together to bring to work tomorrow for lunch. At least I know what I put into the homemade yogurt, plus its kind of fun to know I made my own. I think I will make smoothies from it so it won't go to waste. Next time I will make only half a batch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you use skim milk, you can freeze it.

If you make yogurt cheese, you can freeze that, too. I made us some herb and Parmesan and some southwest spreads and have those in the freezer. I like that spread on white cheddar rice cakes.

I just squirt some honey into a dish of yogurt and gently stir in some chopped fruit, whatever's handy. My husband likes that for his lunches.

Don't stir yogurt too much. It makes it runny. If you're mixing it with other ingredients, mix all the other ingredients first and then gently stir in the yogurt.

The longer you let the yogurt ferment, the thicker it will get, so if you leave it an extra hour or six, it probably won't matter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you for the advice! I didn't know that about the skim milk. I would love to have your recipe for yogurt cheese.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I meant if you use skim milk to make the yogurt, you can freeze the yogurt. Although of course you can freeze skim milk itself, too.

There is no recipe for making yogurt cheese. Yocheez is just yogurt with the whey drained off. You can strain it through several layers of cheese cloth in a strainer suspended over a bowl. I made a yogurt strainer from a Tupperware pickle keeper lined with coffee filters because I make so much yocheez and the strainers I could find for sale were too expensive and too small.

If you buy yogurt to make yocheez, it should not have gelatin in it. Pectin is okay. You have to read the label.

That said, I've made yocheez with commercial yogurt containing gelatin and for that particular brand, it worked fine. The yocheez turned out much softer than usual but still a nice spreadable or dippable consistency. So it's still doable and I personally won't hesitate to buy cheap yogurt to make yocheez if I find some. I'm waiting for a good sale on some fruity flavored yogurt to make a soft spread for muffins and stuff. It would end up being way cheaper than soft-spread cream cheese spreads.

Yocheez can be used in most recipes calling for cream cheese and it's better for you due to less sodium, fat, and chemicals. I like it as a spread for bagels and rice cakes and stuff like that. Herb spread is easy to make, just add whatever herbs you like and maybe some Parmesan cheese.

I recently found out from another FV member that the whey drained off from making yocheez can be used in baking, soups, etc. I've started freezing it in ice cube trays and then putting the cubes in a zipper bag so I can easily pull out what's needed for recipes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12