DIY baked 100 calorie snack packs??
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question DIY baked 100 calorie snack packs??

I was wondering if anyone had recipe like the nabisco baked snacks. They are so expensive and would really like to make my own but I haven't been able to find any recipes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What are the snacks? Can you use the recipes you already use?

You can calculate calories per portion by taking the nutritional info for all the ingredients in your recipe. This is sort of a pain but you only have to do it once. There are nutritional info calculators online you can plug the ingredients into.

Once you've figured out how many cals are in the entire recipe, then make the recipe. No snacking or snitching on the dough or any of the results till after you weigh THE ENTIRE BATCH. Once you know the yield, then divide the total calories by the number of ounces to get the calories in one ounce. From that, multiply the number of ounces it takes to get 100 calories. Package that amount in Ziploc snack bags, then put the small bags into a larger bag and store in the freezer to keep things fresh.

Write down your recipe and include the nutritional info plus calories per ounce and/or ounces per 100 calorie serving on the recipe, so you don't have to calculate things again. Then when you make the recipe again, you'll just have to weigh the correct number of ounces and package them up.

You can do that with any recipe.

If you're doing things like chocolate chip cookies, then of course you will need to make them small, and for that reason, use mini chips instead of regular chocolate chips.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What I have bought are cookies like the chocolate chip you mentioned and also have bought some oreos. They are thin crisps, gives me the sense that I am treating myself when they have very little fat and cholesterol.

And thank you, I will play around with some cookie recipes and see what I can come up with.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you normally use margarine to make chocolate chip cookies, try using at least half shortening instead. It changes the texture and flavor, more like store cookies.

You could roll out the cookies very thin right on the cookie sheet, then cut into squares. Watch carefully so they don't burn.

Lorna Doone cookies are just shortbread cookies so would be fairly easy to duplicate I think.

You could try making thin chocolate cookies and then use a simple powdered sugar frosting to try to mimic the Oreos. Doubling the cookies to sandwich them would mean getting half as many in each 100-cal pack though. Try a recipe that calls for the dough to be rolled into a log to be chilled and sliced. You could make the log in a very small diameter to get the right size.

Don't you love the gimmicks the food industry comes up with to separate us from our money?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know!

I liked these because like I said I feel like I'm getting a treat even though they are low sat. fat and cholesterol. That's my main concern. Maybe I just need to find some other recipes that are low fat and no cholesterol but still give me my chocolate fix.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cheez-its clone: Homemade Cheez-Its | Good. Food. Stories. Note that with the price of cheese lately I'm not sure these can be made cheaper. An 11.5oz box sells for 1.49 on sale.

Recipe for pretzel bites: Soft Pretzel Recipe
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Part of the reason they're low in fat and cholesterol is because of the tiny portions. Run the numbers like I said, using one of the nutrition calculators online, and see if you get similar numbers to what you're buying, based on 100 cals.

As for flavor, I don't bother with Oreos myself because to me they don't have any flavor at all, certainly not chocolate. But I realize they're popular so I doubt many share this opinion. Have you tried a chocolate slice and bake cookie recipe with some chopped nuts? Good and easy. You wouldn't get the filling, but maybe you wouldn't need it if the chocolate is what you're after.

I make cheese crackers which aren't a bargain financially, but they're soooooo much better than Cheez-Itz (and I love Cheez-Its.) I wish we could get Cheez-Itz for $1.49 here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A suggestion might be to buy the snack sized zip locks and divide large packages into sack sized portions right away. You could do that with cheese its, graham sticks, ginger snaps, nilla waffers, animal crackers, cheetohs, whatever. I've started doing that with my kids because otherwise the eat the whole box of whatever in one sitting!! Good luck!