Kelp

Thread: Kelp

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Kelp

Has anyone eaten kelp? DH wants to try it, he uses NO salt and is thinking he may be iodine - deficient. (has HBP). We are wondering if there are any kelp products in supermarkets, I know you can get it online. How do you use it? TIA.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Not specifically kelp, but I do eat seaweed in the form of nori, and kombu in my miso soup. It's a little chewy, the bigger the pieces the chewier it is, and if you cook it in soups and such it does get a bit slimy. I think for a lot of people seaweed is an acquired taste. I grew up with it, living in asia as a kid so for me it is like 'home cooking'.

I understand you can get kelp flakes to sprinkle on foods. That might be an option.

This may be helpful 8 Foods With Iodine | Natural Health & Organic Living Blog
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was going to mention kombu, too - I throw a piece into the rice while cooking it, also into soups - fish it out before eating.

Furikake is a powdered kelp and seasonings product that you can sprinkle on rice - not sure if it has salt in it, though - kitchen is too far right now, as my knee is a bit achy.

If you have any Asian markets near you, see if they have seaweed salad in the deli. It is delicious - if you like sesame oil - which is used in the dressing. I buy it quite regularly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I eat a little bit of dulse every day for suspected iodine deficiency. I just open the bag and snack on it! I've been told I shouldn't eat the whole bag at once though. My 100 gm. bag should last me three days.

Thanks for the info on kombu. I have it in my cupboards and am wondering how to use it. I also use nori to make sushi. And wakame, but I don't know what to do with it yet either.

I know Koreans make a lovely seaweed soup that is a delicacy. I've been told they usually have it on their birthdays and after childbirth. Our boarder made it for us once.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We eat kelp in place of salt. I buy it at the local natural food store or a herb store. They have it in the bulk section and it gets weighed out for you. When I cook the kelp gets put into everything right from meats, veggies, salads etc. The family does not even know what they are eating and it is so much healthier for them. Good luck on finding it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Should we be concerned about where and when these sea delights are harvested?
    ie. nuclear issues in Japan.
    I have some prior to; but will be needing more in the near future.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The Japanese put standards into place regarding allowable levels of radiation in food. There's always going to be low level background radiation in everything, no matter where on earth it comes from. The Japanese don't want to eat radioactive cesium any more than we do, they are inspecting the food now.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown