Getting Seasonings To Stick - Popcorn
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Getting Seasonings To Stick - Popcorn

What I'm trying to do is re-create the type of popcorn you get from microwave popcorn bags (that are full of salt & butter) HOWEVER starting with natural plain popped corn. In other words, a healthier version.

We're able to pop plain, natural popcorn but sometimes we want to add flavour w/o all the extra fat & calories. We've tried spritzing the popcorn with oil/water/butter-margarine then tossing with seasonings but we consistently end up with soggy over saturated pieces and then dry & unseasoned pieces. Pam cooking spray seems like it wouldn't taste good. Using "I Can't Believe Its Not Butter" spray defeats the purpose since its chemicals...we're trying to go the natural, healthy route.

I was able to do this in the past w/o issue - using an oil mister but maybe I need to buy a new more 'mist-ful' type mister? Mine seems to 'shoot' straight and only where sprayed.

Any suggestions/tips?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use butter flavored Pam.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I see MM already mentioned the butter flavored Pam. I was thinking along the same lines, but thought of the olive oil Pam as well, for the "healthier" version you're looking for. Also was wondering if those butter flavored Buds powder/flakes might work too. Also, our bread store used to carry dehydrated cheese powder/topping, similar to what comes in the boxed mac & cheese. Not sure how healthy that would be though. Come to think of it though, I remember seeing it sold on line. Might have been at one of the Amish foods sites.

HTHs, but let us know if you figure it out. I wouldn't mind a healthier alternative myself.

Theresa

Came back to suggest you do a GOOGLE search for ~heathy popcorn toppings~. I didn't read all of them, but there was a ton!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kraft puts out the powdered cheese that's close to the cheese in the mac & cheese. It's not carried in all stores. If the store DOES have it tho I've always found it where the parmesan is at. Publix carries it. Once in awhile, not always, WalMart does.

I used to use the spray "butter" to make it stick but haven't for a long time. I think Land O Lakes now makes a spray butter which would probably taste better...calories aside. When I used it I just kept the spray down to a minimum. Worked pretty well. Kept tossing as I sprayed.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I pop my popcorn in a pot on the stove top with coconut oil. It adds some calories, but it's one of the healthiest fats out there ~ I consider it a superfood!

As an aside ~unless the popcorn is organic, it's probably from GMO corn ~ I don't know if that's a concern for you.

Anyway, once my popcorn is popped with coconut oil, I just sprinkle on any toppings we want (usually just a little bit of salt). Sometimes I pour some melted ghee over the top (clarified butter) ~ it's another ultra healthy fat.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use butter. It's only 20 calories per "pat". Two cups of popcorn (plain homemade microwave air popped) and two pats of melted unsalted butter come to 100 calories.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't consider any fake food healthy, but it's used in small amounts so probably doesn't matter much.

Whole foods stores sell cheese powder and also various popcorn seasonings.

I'd forget about the microwave popcorn idea, if it was me. There's no really good way to make it that doesn't waste half the popcorn. Get a Whirley Pop or Back to Basics stove top popper with the stir rod in the bottom. It makes twice as much popcorn in the same amount of time and every kernel pops. You can use no oil or any amount you want.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not sure how you are popping the corn, but we sometimes use a large, heavy pot on the stove, add equal parts oil and butter, when the butter melts, add corn, cover and shake while popping. Adds butter flavor without being greasy.

We also use the cheese powder from Cabot (you can buy a case online) but it is pricey and I find I need a LOT to get the flavor I want. It is natural though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    I use butter flavored Pam.
    Ooh - butter flavoured....does it actually taste like butter with salt or does it come alive with flavour after you add your own salt/seasonings? We only have the regular Pam for cooking and that one didn't taste very good when I tried using it.

--------------------

We use this to pop our corn in the microwave.

My issue is getting dry seasonings to stick to the corn once its popped, not which seasonings to use. Though I do love the suggestions. Organic corn or not - plain air popped popcorn doesn't have all the tasty salt & oil that comes in those microwave bags. When I try to sprinkle/spritz/spray oil/butter/marg it makes my popcorn soggy and that makes me sad. Land O Lakes isn't available in Canada (to my knowledge) and the I Can't Believe Its Not Butter is all chemicals - a butter spray w/o any fat? Yeah...thats not butter to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    My issue is getting dry seasonings to stick to the corn once its popped, not which seasonings to use. Though I do love the suggestions. Organic corn or not - plain air popped popcorn doesn't have all the tasty salt & oil that comes in those microwave bags. When I try to sprinkle/spritz/spray oil/butter/marg it makes my popcorn soggy and that makes me sad.
    I'm afraid that unless you pop your corn with some oil, you won't be able to avoid the sogginess. And butter flavored Pam probably has as many chemicals as "I can't Believe it's not butter" JMHO.

I think your best bet would be to find an oil you are comfortable with and pop it with that. It doesn't come out soggy, but adds a great flavor to the corn (and the dry seasonings stick better)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

pop the corn, have a bowl of butter set out at room temp, dip your corn in it as needed... bout every 12th piece. no soggy popcorn. this was the only way my db would eat popcorn when he was younger- before microwaves came out. he had a butter dedicated to popcorn (that no one touched).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We do air popped popcorn and spray with watered down soy sauce out of one of those misters. The Misto kept braking/clogging/ causing massive swear fits so we've been using a Farberware mister that we got from Walmart, it works great. We ran out of soy sauce last week and just used plain water and sprinkled on Cajun Seasoning. Oh we spray as it's coming out of the popper and toss at the table some more before eating. Spraying lightly as it comes out of the popper makes sure it gets well distributed and nothing gets too soggy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here is how we do it.

Put a serving of air popped popcorn in a 5 qt plastic ice cream tub with lid.

Spray with pam or similar. Shake seasoning on popcorn. ( there are so many varieties some store bought made for shaking on popcorn so just seasonings.

Put lid on the bucket and shake.

Then enjoy!

What I want to figure out is how to make it taste like kettle corn with out making it like kettle corn. I did a microwave version once but it wasted a bunch of kernels.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Grated (powder) Parmesean cheese is a favorite around the house and sticks fairly well in the nooks and crannies without butter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know how to make kettle corn in the micro, but it's easy to make on the stovetop.

We use a popper with a stir rod in the bottom, but you could try it in a heavy pan or one you could shake.

Have 1/8 c. sugar pre-measured near the stove. Add about a teaspoon of oil to the pot or to taste, plus 1/4 c. popcorn. Heat until it just starts to pop, then quickly open lid and throw in sugar. Keep shaking or stirring till popping stops. After popping, add popcorn salt as desired. We usually just go with the sugar.

If you use a heavy pot that you can't shake, I don't know if the sugar would scorch or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast