Health food for people who don't like health food
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lightbulb Health food for people who don't like health food

~How about a tips and tricks thread with everyone's ideas for pleasing picky palettes?
    Here's one of mine. For years I couldn't get my husband to like anything that had wheat flour in it. He wanted white flour everything and couldn't stand the taste of whole wheat. I worked whole wheat flour in gradual amounts into a few recipes where it was barely noticeable to me but was enough to change his complete abhorrence to the taste(and I mean 1/4 cup in a 2 cup recipe). He was then able to switch to wheat bread for his work lunches but still didn't care for the usual half white/half wheat blend usually called for in healthy baking recipes. Now, even I'm not a fan of a hearty whole wheat taste in things like sweet rolls and cookies but I want the benefits of the whole grains. I experimented and a ratio of 2 parts +1 part whole wheat + 1 part oat flour is the blend that increases healthiness without an distracting flavor or heavy texture. It is so gratifying to see my hubby love the whole grain baked goods as much as he ever loved all white flour recipes and I feel a lot better about having goodies around the house now. ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I mix white and wheat flour too. I'll add oatmeal, wheat germ or flax seed to baked goods too- kids have no idea. I have one very picky kid. For her I sneak in vitamins in things she loves. Like I'll make pancakes with pumpkin in it or bananas. Or sweet potato cookies.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mine prefers rye. It's slightly lower in fat and higher in fiber. I add it to pizza crust and bread recipes.

I can't get him to eat brown rice unless it has a lot of sauce over it, like stir fry or gravy.

It's been easier to drop sugar from our diet, and to switch over to low-sugar versions of things like yogurt and juice.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have you tried the "white" whole wheat? It's still whole grain but it's much lighter colored and makes a lighter (texture) loaf of bread.
    Prairie Gold is one variety.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So I get the whole wheat mixed with a lighter healthy flour but what do you do about greens. My daughter will eat greens, but my husband hates it. He is the pickiest eater I have ever met. All he ever wants in chicken, white rice and a very very basic salad with HV Ranch only (will not eat any other ranch). I am a greens and beans eater. I LOVE them for the most part but I am forced to cook meat every night and I can only make stir fry so many nights a week. Anyone have similar problems and how do you deal with it?

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I always try to find out why someone doesn't like a vegetable. Sometimes it is texture, sometimes taste. Both can be altered.

I had a friend who said he did not like pasta salad. When I used italian dressing instead of mayo, he loved it.

DH likes iceberg lettuce, as I suspect a lot of men do. He likes the crunch. He does not like the bitter purple stuff that comes in mixed lettuce. He doesn't much care for mixed lettuce in general, but he will eat it as long as it is not limp. So the key for salads here is to keep some iceberg or romaine in with the really fresh darker leaf greens.

He doesn't much care for cooked spinach, but he will eat spinach salad as long as there are walnuts and blue cheese on it. We eat a lot of spinach salad that way. Baby spinach has a milder taste than bunch spinach.

He wasn't much of a vegetable fan at all before we got married. His mother boiled canned vegetables. I introduced him to steamed fresh vegetables, cooked just until tender. Now he'll eat almost anything I make, except green beans (unless I sneak them into a pot pie).

The other way to get veggies in is to hide them. You can shred carrots and turnips into spaghetti sauce or stew, they cook down and become part of the sauce or gravy. I put diced sweet potatoes into chili, it goes really well and the spices help disguise the taste. You could also puree it before adding it.

Pot pies, turnovers, calzones, empanadas, etc are a great way to hide vegetables. Chop them small so they are hard to pick out. That way it's not a separate item they can push away with their fork.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can relate to the picky husband...I have one...the only thing he likes is plain old baked chicken legs, plain baked potato, plain lettuce salad with no dressing or croutons...drives me crazy. I love to cook...do you know how hard that is? He will eat everything I cook but I can tell he isn't crazy about most of what I cook....I try to cook healthy & he is getting better but has a long ways to go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like to eat really healthy foods and my dh really likes junk food. So, my two favorite ways to sneak veggies are:
    1) cauliflower alfredo. You cook cauliflower and onions until tender. Put them in the blender with some milk, garlic, salt, oregano, and basil. when you mix it all up, it tastes just like alfredo sauce! Pour over your favorite noodles and you've got a healthy meal and no one knows.

2)Green smoothies. My kids eat greens every day and love them. This is how. Fill a blender 1/2 with spinach and 1/2 with frozen fruit. I like bananas, strawberries, and blueberries. They are very sweet. Add enough water to blend and serve. The kids have no idea that there is spinach in the drink. They beg me for smoothies every day... and get their daily dose of spinach.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I thought for the longest time that my boyfriend just didn't like fruits. He never ate apples, bananas, oranges etc on his own. He would go and get a small bowl of grapes or slice a mango to eat but nothing else. I found out that he just hated to stand in the kitchen and peel and cut up apples and oranges and he likes his bananas cut up on a plate instead of just eating whole. Now every single day morning or evening I tell him I'm cutting up some kind of fruit and ask if he wants one too. He always says yes now. I'd rather cut/peel them for him if i know he'll eat them.

I also agree with sneaking foods into other foods. I do this all the time and my boyfriend compliments the meal as being tastier. I even sneak foods in that I don't care for alone but love mixed into things. For example: I hated sliced or diced tomatoes all of my life until a couple years ago when I forced myself to add them to salads. Now I love tomatoes!