Just discovered tofu - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've read that men should avoid eating too much soy as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yup, that is why I no longer eat tofu. I went on an edamame kick and realized I was all hyped up and my face was beet red. Soy sauce also makes my face red, swollen, and small blisters.

So I try to avoid things with soy in it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've heard soy is getting to be the new MSG in that it's in just about everything.

I've never reacted to any food with soy in it that I know of. I love soy sauce but try to minimize it because of the salt in it. Unfortunately, that's what makes it taste good although I always pay for it when I do eat it, but not because of the soy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love tofu! I make Alicia Silverstones Baked Ginger Tofu often. mmmm. Tofu in anything makes whatever you're eating better!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I thought I would kinda 'bump' this thread & also add that if any of you are on Pinterest, there are tons of recipes containg tofu on there.

I always freeze my tofu, then press *well*, then usually cube. I average eating it **maybe** 3 times a year? But I do enjoy it. You can use about any marinade on tofu that you would any meat product, then you can grill, bake or sautee. Just remember it has NO fat, so you do need some type of oil to cook it in way, except of course unless you put it into soups.

I've found even if you decide to bake it, you'll either need to spray your baking pan or melt a little oil on it before placing the tofu or else it sticks.

The only thing that I would suggest, is just to try it & see if you like it. Some people say it's an acquired taste but I liked it from the first time I ever ate it? I guess it's like anything else, some people will like it, others won't.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by krbshappy71 View Post
    Just a heads up to any women dealing with hormone difficulties, tofu and other soy products can mess with you. I had to give up my favorite snack of edamame, switch from soy milk to almond milk, and in general read ingredient listings to avoid soy as much as possible. Not everyone is sensitive to it but if you haven't had it on a regular basis before try to pay attention as to whether you start feeling any changes within a month or so.

Think menopause/pms symptoms, hormone-wackiness-feelings.
    Yeah, that............and if you are taking any sort of thyroid drug you shouldn't be eating any soy............but that is tough to do......it is in everything.

That said, years ago when I lived in San Diego a friend invited me to dinner and it was ALL TOFU--the whole meal and it tasted like you were eating different things............but she knew what she was doing when cooking it and what type to use. It was pretty good. I haven't experimented with it much......just never got into it.

Her hint was use LOTS OF SPICES................for whatever you are making.......and she emphasized LOTS!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12