Buckwheat Pancakes
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Buckwheat Pancakes

Buckwheat Pancakes

Makes 12 pancakes

Buckwheat sounds like a grain, but it is really a summer annual. It is often planted by beekeepers, because the flower is very high in nectar. The popularity of the buckwheat pancake has declined since the 1950s, but there's no reason not to try them today!

Ingredients:
    1 cup buckwheat flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    2 cups water
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a medium bowl, thoroughly combine the buckwheat flour, whole wheat flour, egg, and baking powder, mixing until evenly blended. Add the water, applesauce, and vanilla extract, and stir until only small lumps remain.

Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Working in batches, pour the batter into the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the bottom is browned. Turn and cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer, or until golden brown. Remove to a plate and keep warm. Repeat to make a total of 12 pancakes.

Nutritional Information:
    80 calories
    1 total fat (0 g sat)
    20 mg cholesterol
    16 g carbohydrate
    3 g protein
    2 g fiber
    130 mg sodium

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I second the motion! Buckwheat is a glorious alternative grain that isn't actually a grain at all, and not related to wheat one bit.

It's a rhubarb relative, to be all horticultural and good news for those with wheat allergies, there is absolutely NO connection botanical or otherwise to wheat except for the name which is a real misnomer.

it has NO gluten of any sort in it, and is a really good grain alternative for the allergic.

It is super tasty, full of vitamins and minerals and good fibre and a staple of the Russian diet. According to my Russian inlaws kasha which is whole hulled buckwheat steamed or boiled, (kind of like rice only with more kick) is given to invalids, babies and elderly without teeth.

It is served with almost every meal in Russian cuisine and while the pancakes are purely a North American thing, buckwheat is truly a gem in all it's variations.

I've long loved it in buckwheat pancakes and for those with grain grinders, just get some toasted or untoasted kasha kernels and run them thru to make the flour.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My best friend always had buckwheat pancakes when I was at her house for breakfast, I never had them before I met her. She also introduced ne to rivel soup and she would bake cream puffs that she never filled, we just dipped them in warm Bavarian Cream pudding. I sure miss her.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Brenda I think recipes bring us close to our memories, more than anything else. When I bake my mum's cheesecake, it's partly because it's a darn good cheesecake, but partly tradition and partly giving something to my kids to remember her by. She died years before they were born, but they now her recipes.