Christmas Craft Sales?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Christmas Craft Sales?

Has anyone done these? What's involved? How can you tell what to sell and at what price? Any ideas for having a successful sale?

A friend and I are thinking about doing a craft sale this November. We're wondering what to expect. A 6' table costs $50 for this sale. We're splitting the cost and making things like crazy to sell. Any ideas? Our specialties are sewing, knitting, rug hooking, embroidery, and I think I'll make some beeswax candles as well. Anything else that might be cheap to make, easy to sell, and we could sell at a reasonable price? This sale is known for it's affordable prices. To be honest I'm looking for things we can sell for under $20.

Thanks.

Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great idea Peanut - wish I could join you!! My latest crafting crazy is stamping and I am having a great time doing this. You could make gift tags, bag toppers - and one of the bes things I ever bought years ago were small gift boxes - the tops were decorated with Christmas designs - they sold for $1-$3 each and were darling.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You reminded me MM. Those organza gift bags! I can make those, and some tags...yep, could do that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A friend of mine does art shows, and I've been with her a few times. Most of those shows are juried, they don't just take anyone. However, I think you still have to have the appropriate product for the market. My friend does art dolls, and her work is too expensive for a craft show. It's beautiful, but people won't pay what she puts into them. So for your craft show, you really need to know what people are expecting to find and what they want to pay. Have you been to this show before? Do you know what the competition is like? You want to be the only one there with knit scarves and beeswax candles, not one of seven with similar goods.

Also, make your table look good. Nothing is sadder than a bare plastic table with a few items on it. Get a tablecloth and a few display props. If nothing else, get some boxes to put under the cloth to create height and make a display area. Sprinkle some glitter or run garland along the edge of your table to create interest and get people looking.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks CM. I'll ask the ladies I know who've been to the sale. I've never been to this particular one. Maybe I should phone the lady in charge.

OK. Just phoned and left a message. She is a Mary Kay distributor. So first thing I want to know is percentage of commercial booths to craft booths.

Any other questions I should ask?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

OK. I'm not comfortable with this sale knowing a Mary Kay lady is organizing it. I'm thinking there will be a lot of home party distributors at it. I've put in emails to a couple of churches I've been told have good pre-Christmas sales. We'll see what they say.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i've done a few craft sales. i've never had much luck. i usually just break even (and sometimes spend what little profits i do make on other tables). people find my stuff a little odd as i repurpose items.

i think it's good to have a variety of price points - a few items (like dischloths or magnets) that are $3 or less -- a few items in the $5-$15 dollar range -- and then only a couple in the $20 or more range.

don't undervalue yourself! don't sell something that takes hours and hours to make for cheap.

most people don't seem to bring much cash to craft sales, so having expensive items won't help you (unless you have business to refer them to - ie etsy).

create height on the table and be friendly! talk to everyone! get them to touch your product. once people make a connection with your items they will be more likely to buy something.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

maybe go to ebay do a completed iteks search on the type of craft you are interested in doing and see what sold the best

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Momto5RN: you're going to have to explain that a bit more fully to me. It's all Greek to me! I avoid ebay!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Actually for crafty items I'd look at etsy for examples, rather than ebay. Etsy is a website for crafters and artisans. I have no idea how many people are successful sellers, since like someone pointed out, people don't generally like to pay for the time and effort put into handmade products, especially since the proliferation of cheap made in sweatshop stuff from China.

However I have purchased a few special items on Etsy from time to time, including crochet patterns for 18 inch dolls, snuggies for my guinea pigs, and a couple of wall clocks, including a totally cool one made out of a repurposed apple laptop cover, with a swinging pendulum made out the apple mouse.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think if you look into etsy you might be pleasantly surprised and what people will buy and pay. I would first do a search for items like you make or would like to make and then go to the shops that are most like yours. From there look at their sales and how long they have had a shop. I have found that you can really know trends that way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    I've put in emails to a couple of churches I've been told have good pre-Christmas sales. We'll see what they say.
    I did craft sales years ago, while in Calif. and ALWAYS did the church and school craft sales. They are just the best. Often, back then, the entrance was free, but even now it is cheap. The space was very reasonable too which meant that I could make more profit and keep the prices down.

I just go to them now.

First thing...........know your area, and know what is the 'hot item' right now. Seasonal things (for Xmas) usually sell well.....but other than that, each area can be quite different. Also, different on what the people will pay. IE: the people in this area won't pay a high price as there are lots of crafters........they will do it themselves. But I always did pretty well in Calif. (So. Cal.) as the people will pay more and want the 'latest trend'........

So try to put a 'new twist' on the latest trend for your area.