Music...

Thread: Music...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Music...

Hi,

Who knows a lot about music. What does it give you?

For me it's great. Without music life is boring

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What kind of music do you like?

I feel like you do not really need to know a lot about music to like it. Music is also a pretty broad area. I am pretty ignorant of the performers in genres I don't like.

Lately I have been watching some music documentaries on TV. Either Netflix or Hulu, I don't remember which one. There have been some pretty good ones. I like watching concerts at home on TV (CD or Netflix/Hulu). There are some good music videos on YouTube as well.

I seem to like a lot of old genres, things that were popular before I was born. I like blues and jazz. I like some of the 60s music. I some traditional music like Celtic and Americana. I like classical cross over - contemporary songs played with classical music instruments. I like newer performers who are incorporating old styles into their music.

I have a few filk performers I like. That is not a typo, it is filk with an I. Filk is music with geeky themes such as science fiction, fantasy, comic books and games. The original groups were folk style music, but now other types of music are used as well.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yay, another person who knows what filk is! Kathy - have you heard of Michael Longcor? I love his stuff.

I'm a lot like Kathy. I love traditional folk (especially Celtic) and the folk music from the 60's, as well as the filk music. I love the mix of styles, such as traditional folk/Celtic and rock. Steampunk is a lot of fun to listen to. I'm starting to get into more blues these days.

I don't really like a lot of the more modern "pop" music, though. I guess I like more ballads and story songs over songs that are just stream of consciousness.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lately I'm into good old classic rock like Queen. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Chuck,

Are you old enough to be a fan when the current classics were the latest thing?

I have seen an interesting band - well singer and guitarist duo - made up of people with a very big age difference. The lady is in her 50's. She was searching for a music partner online. She found a guy who had very compatible music tastes with her. Since his favorite music was 70's music she assumed he was around her age. It turns out he was in his early 20's - and looks like a teen. It is a little funny to see them onstage together. The lady is a SF author - Catherine Asaro - the music is a soundtrack for one of her book series.

I have not heard of Micheal Longcor. Mostly I listen to ones I have seen perform live and a few random ones I have managed to find on google play music. I think there is a regional aspect to filk music. I think most performers will go to the conventions in their home state and states near them but not all over the country. Of the ones I have seen live, my favorites are Blibbering Humdingers, Boogie Knights, Johan Knight, Heather Alexander, Valentine Wolf and Mikey Mason. On google play I like Vixy & Tony. I also like S.J. Tucker, only part of her stuff is filking though.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like Heather Alexander and S.J. Tucker. I tried listening to Valentine Wolf but their music wasn't entirely to my taste. Never heard of the others. I'll take a look.

I get you on seeing musicians perform live. I saw Abney Park and Nathaniel Johnstone at a steampunk convention and loved them (although they do steampunk and not filk). I learned about S.J. Tucker on a Sharon Knight CD that I picked up at a steampunk con. I don't think Michael Longcor does cons anymore and if he does, it's likely his local ones. I learned about his music from a Firebird Arts and Music catalog many, many, many years ago. (Firebird is now closed.) Have you heard of Leslie Fish? I think Leslie Fish and Heather Alexander collaborated on a few CDs.

Anyway, some of the bands and musicians I listen to have been suggested by friends or I found falling down a rabbit hole of listening to other music. One band (Sirena) I actually picked up because I happened on a YouTube video of them doing "If I Had A Heart" in a NASA centrifuge. The accoustics are amazing!