Learning a new hobby for free
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Learning a new hobby for free

My instinct on starting a new hobby is to go out and buy a book for it. Or maybe three or four. I really like books. And there are lots of online classes for learning art and learning crafts. And some places have interesting subscription services where you pay a monthly fee to take as many classes as you want.

But I am trying something different now. I am going to try to learn something with just free resources on the internet.

The new things I would like to try are the related areas of hand lettering and modern calligraphy.

I will try doing occasional updates as I go.

I am curious if anyone has tried learning a new hobby just with free resources. A bonus if you use supplies you already have on hand.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

TONS of resources out there for this. Start with YouTube.
    2020 Pay Off Debt Challenge: $22,887.41/$25,676.45 (Goal: Pay Off By 12/30/2020)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've learned new crafts by watching youtube videos. I also read a lot. Good luck!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I found a site called daily lettering that looks good.

I came across one free course that was pretty bad. There first handout had lots of misspellings. The second handout was a photo of a propped open page of a lettering book. I did not get the video to play due to some trouble on my end. But I am not optimistic.

There was another site that had some good general information but all the how to bits were books and classes to buy.

I am practicing general strokes for brush calligraphy currently.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So right now I am looking at brush calligraphy versus lettering.

Learning a new hobby for free-img_20200512_143037248_mp_1589308776328.jpg

Line one

Brush calligraphy is quicker to create but harder to learn. It calls for changing between thick and thin lines by changing how hard you press down. It is tricky to get the thickness you want. You need a brush or brush marker to do it.

Line two

Faux calligraphy, which is one type of letting is easier. It takes three steps, but is relatively easy. If I was doing something professional I would probably do it in pencil first and trace it. So that would be four steps. You can also do it with a standard pen or pencil.

Line three

With faux calligraphy you can also do the last step with a contrasting color.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

very cool! also fun to add to homemade cards for extra flare.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been thinking of mobiles & wind spinners for outside decor. Tonight I realized that orgami would be a great craft to learn from the internet. I have some colored printer paper that will be good to experiment with and beading supplies for stringing the pieces. The video I saw just used a wire coat hanger bent in a spiral shape to hang the pieces from.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nice, I also have been thinking of practicing my handwriting since I have nothing else to do.