geneology anyone?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default geneology anyone?

I have always been interested in my family tree and there have been many of my great aunts (why is it always the great Aunt) that have done extensive research....so i have a pretty good knowledge of my family.

but yesterday I got from my GIL (grandma inlaw) a copy of her husband family tree! a copy of his discharge from the canadian army, copies of family portraits and other family pictures including the homestead.

my file is growing fatter and fatter every year! its so nice to learn all this about the families.

its funny too, no one really starts paying attention to the family tree and lineage until they are older....my great aunts didn't get into it until they were 60ish. but here I am 28 and I can trace my family back probably 15-20 generations. ACCURATELY!

does anyone else do anything with geneology?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been tracing my family history for some years now, and when I need help my oldest daughter(14) will help me file papers or do some input into the computor for me.

My mothers side I have traced to the 1790's my father's side goes back to the netherlands. My dh side goes to poland so I do not have much their.

I could talk anyones ear off about family history and all the skeletons in the closets.

I do need to start on getting it book ready though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my family I can trace back to the early days of the US, but dh's goes into russia and germany. I am about 15 generation american.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've played around with it a bit.

On my dad's side, a distant cousin traced the family line back pretty far- like 200 years. It's really interesting.

I created and maintain a family genealogy site starting with my great grandparents on that side of the family.

I also spend a lot of time on www.findagrave.com. I've transcribed parts of cemeteries and taken gravestone photos. I've always loved cemeteries.

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've made up notebooks for each family name in our history. Have collected photos, birth, marriage and death certificates. Spent last summer going to alot of the old family farms in Northern Wisconsin. Working my way back to Poland and Germany. Its a great pastime and I've met lots of very intresting family members.
    Have been working on it now for about 8 years.

Laurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love genealogy..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AmyMCGS
    I also spend a lot of time on www.findagrave.com. I've transcribed parts of cemeteries and taken gravestone photos. I've always loved cemeteries.
    Ok now that is a really cool website. On my Mom's side of the family we have a family cemetery and I've been thinking of doing something like that for it. Now I just have to get the information together and the pictures loaded.

As far as genealogy, my Mother and Aunt are really into it. For my Mom's Birthday I bought her one of those Family Tree programs and am currently entering all the data we have into it.

Plus with the program we got one free year on Ansestory.com (That doesn't look spelled right to me.) We've been having a blast looking up people.

We have portions of both sides of the family traced back to prior to the Revolutionary War. I'm not quite sure home many generations that is but it's lots. I've been giving some serious though to trying to join up with DAR as I know a couple of the ansestors fought in the war. I just need to look into it a little more. I would think that they probably have wonderful records that would be nice to be able to see.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Santoria, I have been doing this off and on for the last 10 years. I have been mainly working on my sir name side as everyone else has done the other branches of my family. I have civil war era letters and lots of pictures of the family dating back to just about that time. My Aunt made the comment that I had gotten further with it than she ever dreamed anyone would.

Amy, I have roots in Brown Co., OH I am having trouble finding what happened to my 3x great grandfather after the civil war. He lived in Ripley.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Christine, I've been playing around with genealogy since I was a teenager. I can sympathize with being a young genealogist. I've done tons of internet research. Some of my ancestors have been in the US since the mid-1600's. I have to watch out researching on the internet though, because I will literally lose hours of time digging around!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Has anybody ever shared the names that they are researching? I was just wondering.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by kabin63 View Post
    Amy, I have roots in Brown Co., OH I am having trouble finding what happened to my 3x great grandfather after the civil war. He lived in Ripley.
    I have some Ohio cemetery links, but I'm not sure if there's anything specific to Brown Co. I'll look and let you know if I see anything. I'd also check www.findagrave.com for his name in case anyone has entered him.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AmyMCGS View Post
    I have some Ohio cemetery links, but I'm not sure if there's anything specific to Brown Co. I'll look and let you know if I see anything. I'd also check www.findagrave.com for his name in case anyone has entered him.
    I've tried lots of things. Thanks for the link. I've even gone so far as to contact the Brown County Genealogical Socirty...no such luck....I continue to search, but not sure where he ended up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by lori121 View Post
    Has anybody ever shared the names that they are researching? I was just wondering.

Yes, there are some message boards and chat rooms just for this purpose, but I haven't been in a long time so can't remember which sites...sad, huh? Try a google search for them, maybe ancestry.com, not sure though. I have a friend from there, could ask her if you like.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just discovered that our state library has free access to ancestry.com- that has been so helpful because I am too frugal to subscribe to the site- my main interest was the census information. It is so addictive though!