anyone else tired of their hobbies?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default anyone else tired of their hobbies?

i am tired of my hobbies.

recently divorced, i used to be active in a historical recreation group called the sca. i danced, sung madrigal, sewed, made soaps and cosmetics, researched historical clothing, and cooked feasts.

since the separation and divorce i have not enjoyed any of this. there is no joy. i also don't want to be around HIM.

I feel an urge to sew modern clothing something cute for spring.

is is normal to go through this?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do go through this.

But what you are describing really sounds like depression to me. Been there too. Of course, seeing as all you are going through, depression is pretty normal too.

I would make an appt with your doctor to talk about it. You wouldn't want it to linger too long.

Oh, and go ahead w/ the outfit. Bet that perks you up a little!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jskell911 View Post
    I do go through this.

But what you are describing really sounds like depression to me. Been there too. Of course, seeing as all you are going through, depression is pretty normal too.

I would make an appt with your doctor to talk about it. You wouldn't want it to linger too long.

Oh, and go ahead w/ the outfit. Bet that perks you up a little!
    yes, thank you and -- i inquired into this. i am seeing a professional counselor. she says i am not chemically depressed, (in other words, not in need of antidepressants). she says "i have just been through a huge trauma and not beat myself up because my creativity is low".

i "want to" "want to" if that makes any sense. the desire just ain't there.

i also wonder if because the ex-h is there, that i don't want to be... don't really feel like being in a sewing circle with HIM -- just MIGHT have something to do with it.

i also wonder if my soul doesn't want some new hobbies.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

ok, enough whining. just put a bolt of pretty springtime lavender linen in the machine on Hot, Hot, Hot then Incinerate in the dryer. i like to prevent shrinkage ha ha.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

go ahead, grab new hobbies. Change is great.

also, your seeing a professional counselor.... not a DR. Her qualifications to diagnose your "depression" and if it accually could be chemical are???

sometimes people need a boost to help them get on... if you do, fine, if you dont, fine to. but remember, its temporary....

what are ya gonna make? I love lavender

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it's normal. Now you have a whole world out there to explore. Make a list of things you haven't done and might want to, go as crazy as you like. Don't forget the small things too like painting polka dots on your toenails. Nothing holding you back from anything except you. Out with the old & in with the new. Helps that Spring is coming too.New beginnings abound then.

You can pick up those older hobbies anytime you want or not. It's OK.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it normal. This sounds like a hobby you used to share with him, so I can understand the lack of interest. Find something new that's just your interest and when you are ready you will find your way back.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i get this every now & then.
    it's usually when something stressful happens to me (and i've just lost interest in "unimportant" things) OR i have so many projects lined up or setting around I get overwhelmed.

i say take it one day at a time. do what you want, what doesnt overwhelm you. maybe do something different. join a different club, do a different craft, pick up a new book, or just go window shopping.
    sometimes just being _out_ of the house can make ya feel better (away from all the stuff that reminds you of what you dont want to be reminded of!).

i think it's perfectly normal to go through this kind of thing. we're humans, and being that, emotional creatures.
    feel your emotions, let them ride. then pick up where you need and want to, but at your own pace.

we're here for ya if you need anything else.

(((hugs)))

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bRATmom View Post
    go ahead, grab new hobbies. Change is great.

also, your seeing a professional counselor.... not a DR. Her qualifications to diagnose your "depression" and if it accually could be chemical are???

sometimes people need a boost to help them get on... if you do, fine, if you dont, fine to. but remember, its temporary....

what are ya gonna make? I love lavender
    I am going to make a sundress with one of theose cute bolero jackets simplicity 3533. lavender linen accented with black.

depression:
    Loss of interest in normal daily activities
    Feeling sad or down
    Feeling hopeless
    Crying spells for no apparent reason
    Problems sleeping
    Trouble focusing or concentrating
    Difficulty making decisions
    Unintentional weight gain or loss
    Irritability
    Restlessness
    Being easily annoyed
    Feeling fatigued or weak
    Feeling worthless
    Loss of interest in sex
    Thoughts of suicide or suicidal behavior
    Unexplained physical problems, such as back pain or headaches

i only have symptom #1. so therapist says no depression medicines needed. at this point i think it's because i don't want to be, at least for right now, in the same hobby as my ex-husband.

thanks you all for validation - "hey, I'm normal, don't want to be around ex-hubby!"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladykemma2 View Post
    thanks you all for validation - "hey, I'm normal, don't want to be around ex-hubby!"
    works for me The world is your oyster. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes, thank you and -- i inquired into this. i am seeing a professional counselor. she says i am not chemically depressed, (in other words, not in need of antidepressants). she says "i have just been through a huge trauma and not beat myself up because my creativity is low".

i "want to" "want to" if that makes any sense. the desire just ain't there.

i also wonder if because the ex-h is there, that i don't want to be... don't really feel like being in a sewing circle with HIM -- just MIGHT have something to do with it.

i also wonder if my soul doesn't want some new hobbies.
    Sounds normal, considering what you've been through. Definitely look around for a new hobby, if you'd like to, and give yourself some time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

People change hobbies all the time and for lots of different reasons. Sometimes you just don't want to do it anymore, or get bored and want to try something new. I can't even remember everything I've done over the years. Well unfortunately I do remember the tolle painting days -- awful!

Divorce is usually a horrible time of great upheaval -- from personal experience. It's okay to not want to be around him. Given some time and space to detangle the reinactment stuff from you ex you may decide to go back to it -- or not. I love sewing clothing -- you have such a feeling of accomplishment at the end when you put what you made on and actually wear it. With your costuming experience you might find you way to community theatre as a hobby -- they ususally need costume people. Or maybe you want to try something different -- maybe painting, or pottery? Or even singing, cooking, gardening. It's all up to you and you have all the time you need to decide.

My very first quilt ever was a "divorce quilt." I won't say exactly how I did it here -- don't want people saying I need meds But 25 yrs. later I'm still quilting -- well actually it's evolved more into fabric art.

Blessings and give yourself time -- things will settle down.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yep. What perSue said! I don't think there's much "normal" about how people go through divorce or any other grief - just get through it and know that it will get better, and eventually you'll be "you" again - possibly with some new skills. I got divorced 20 years ago, and cannot remember WHY I did some of the things I did, but they seemed like a good idea at the time and did no harm (wierd things like read straight through 84 Readers Digest condensed books).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i am tired of my hobbies.

recently divorced, i used to be active in a historical recreation group called the sca. i danced, sung madrigal, sewed, made soaps and cosmetics, researched historical clothing, and cooked feasts.

since the separation and divorce i have not enjoyed any of this. there is no joy. i also don't want to be around HIM.

I feel an urge to sew modern clothing something cute for spring.

is is normal to go through this?
    I went through something like I think you are talking about after breaking up from a long term relationship ( long time ago)... I went to some counseling and had to learn how to "be" .. as the therapist called it.. a human "BE"ing... not a human "do"ing... and learn who I was and became at that particular time of my life. Long story short... I was angry at myself for being in a relationship with the man I was then with. It was a nasty breakup.........
    and I had to be on my own a few years to gain hold of who I was and had become and not someones view of it.
    I was very lucky at that time to come across an older woman who in many respects had nothing in common with me outwardly... but she was someone who guided me emotionally and became my spiritual mentor and helped me find myself.
    The answer is always within, not outward........ keep that in mind when buying things.. as having things can become a subsititute for looking deep within.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you in this perplexing time.

I survived mine and became stronger than ever and many years later met and married the love of my life at age 48 !!!!