Back t0 School Shopping - how do you plan/ do it?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Back t0 School Shopping - how do you plan/ do it?

My area has back to school ads happening now and the stores are stocking up.

How do you prepare/do your back to school shopping?

If you do not have children to heading back to school, do you shop the back to school deals for things ( fall clothing office supplies etc)?

What things do you find on sale for good deals right now?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~No clue what's on sale now. I generally have a price point in my mind what I would like to pay and how many I need of something and then just walk by the BTS section in the store while I'm doing my regular shopping.
    Homeschool supplies are very simple since I don't have to fit any school conformity standards. I always get loads of pencils, crayons, glue sticks, tape, staples, notebooks and copy paper. I usually have everything else we need for science and craft projects on hand already. This year I need to get a compass for son's math but I think that's our only special supply.
    I do generally buy my son's jeans and tees during BTS sales. I can never find good used boys' clothes. $12 a for new jeans and $4 for tees is almost as good.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am not in school nor do I shop for children headed to school but I do buy my office supplies at BTS sales including pens, paper, notebooks etc. I also buy boys t-shirts as I find them more sturdy then womens.
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!
    From $78K in debt to debt free and purchased a house and used car with 100% cash...God is sooo Good!!!

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DD is entering 7th grade. Thankfully, I only have one. Around here school starts super early and, sadly, we miss out on several of the sales because they're planned nationally and they occur too late for us.

First step is to see what uniform pieces still fit from last year. We already bought a few new shirts and new shoes. We're waiting for a sale at the preferred store for more uniform shorts and pants. We've already scoped out backpack places and, again, I'm just waiting for a sale.

Supplies are sooooo much harder. We have ONE night to buy supplies. The day before school starts we go to school to get DD's schedule, meet the teachers and get the supply lists from each one. That is also the night where we pay fees and have to buy various T-shirts. It is an expensive evening. We then race to the stores to get the supplies. Of course we can predict some of the items needed - binder paper, pens, etc. - but sometimes they surprise us (college rule paper instead of wide rule, for instance, or no mechanical pencils allowed.) Yes, these teachers are very specific and they always seem to include a couple of esoteric items that can't be found in a 50-mile radius.

All we can do to prepare is to stockpile cash.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cookie when does school start?

Here we start middle of Aug.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't start here until after Labor Day, but I was sad to see them putting out supplies today in Walmart. Just seems so early. I still have an overload of stuff I bought last year, but we will need new binders & paper, pens and then whatever they tell us is mandatory. Last year I got an awesome deal on spiral bound notebooks for 17 cents so I still have a ton of those and some plastic folders.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DDs' school gave us the list for next year at the end of this year, if I can just find where I put it... ;P I also buy what I can to help my Sis out with her 3 school-aged kids, and their lists won't come out until just before school starts/after school starts. But without looking at the list and just knowing "the basics," so far I've picked up:

-10 combo-packs of "essentials" that were on clearance from AC Moore for $1 ($.85 after my discount.) That got me 10 pairs of kiddie scissors, 10 bottles of glue, 40 of those pink rectangle erasers, 10 manual pencil sharpeners, 400 pencil-top erasers, and 30 dried-out gluesticks... The gluesticks totally broke my heart... but for $.85, I can't complain... and since the pink erasers alone are costing $1+ for 3 at Staples this year, I know I still got a great deal. And yes, I'll store the extra stuff for years to come and eventually donate what we don't need. Total cost $8.50 plus tax
    - 5 marble composition books for $.50/each, total $2.50 plus tax (staples this week)
    - 1 ream of printer paper, $3.99+tax, of which I'll get a rebate for $3.98 (Staples this week) , limit four rebates. So by the time all is said and done, I'll be getting 4 reams of paper for $1 (because we pay 6% tax on the pre-rebate price... so $.04 for the paper, $.96 for the tax...)

So to answer the question as asked, I watch the weekly sales and pick up the loss leaders/sales as they come, based on the lists as given and based on what I know we'll use. Whatever doesn't get used gets tucked away for next year (and the next and the next...My youngest is in 2nd grade, so I've got time...) I try to get a few pieces of poster board at the beginning of the year for the inevitable "Mommy, I have a project due TOMORROW!!!" moments... they stay neat and clean tucked behind the bookcase and the wall until they're needed.

New this year: Staples is advertising a 110% price-match guarantee, not sure on the details yet (ie- exact brand of pencils, etc...) but I'm hoping that will be something I can use to save money both on supplies and on driving around (our nearest Walmart is quite a ways away.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

okay started my list by looking at what we have and what we need. I will have a Senior and an 8th grader

Paper - lined paper, printer paper, spiral notebooks, lined note cards
    writing instruments - mechanical pencils with extra refill lead, wooden pencils, ink pens
    other - RULERS ( I have no idea where the ones we had went lol) staples

Buddy clothes -NEED jeans, black pants white dress shirt
    WANTS a new zip hoodie and a cool saying shirt
    Little Miss - NEED black band shoes, good athletic shoes ( she is honor Phys D and the teacher strongly suggested good sturdy shoes),PE sweats
    WANT - boat shoes,a pullover soft hoodie, plain colored girl t shirts ( most all her others are event shirts). She likes the neck line on event shirts and is hoping to find some girl shirts with that high a neck line ( she is wearing her tank tops backwards right now as that is the only way she can get the high enough for her preference). so if anyone can help me find some I would appreciate the help. Thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We homeschool, so part of our back to school expense includes textbooks. I start planning the next year in the spring and curriculum a little at a time over the spring and summer. This year I sold a lot of older materials in sets on Ebay, which brought in ~$150.

School supplies I pick up when they go on sale for BTS. Now that we have one who has finished high school, we've purchased most of the calculators, microscope, etc. that we need for those years. It's mostly just paper, pencils, pens, etc. I buy misprint pencils in bulk on Ebay. They are the good wooden kind that I like best. A box will last several years. The price per pencil is quite a bit less than what I can get even at BTS special prices.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Double post. Sorry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I get things through out the year...such as Hanna Andersson was having a sale and I got 28 buck tops for 11bucks...Lands End had their awesome yoga pants on sale for 11 bucks a pair regular 28 bucks too...so I bought 9 pairs. For school supplies we pay $55 for the year and that covers everything they need provided by the school.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for sharing this I got another good option for me if the first one will not find workable.This is currently hot topic now days. I am also searching many back to school store online for my niece & found so many but I set my mind to shop through https://www.reecoupons.com/categories/back-to-school as the store sharing the best offers for students.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We can look on line for our BTS lists by district, school and grade.....I buy for the needy and I am outraged at the lists......30 pencils, 2 boxes kleenix, 3 packages wipes, 2 boxes crayons 24 count, 1 box washable crayons, 1 box markers, 3 packages of construction paper, 2 bottles sanitizers, ......for a kindergarten kid.....each child!!!! Like where do they store all this stuff...and in fifth grade they need 100 pencils and duct tape (?????) I just don't think a child need 100 pencils....x 20 kids = 2000 pencils being stored in each classroom!!!!!!