What do I want for my birthday?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What do I want for my birthday?

My birthday is coming up. Hubby got me a gift. I already know what it is but I usually also treat myself to something. I'm torn between finally upgrading my cellphone (I've been meaning to for over a year!) or finally buying the good hiking / walking boots I meant to buy at Christmas.

Or maybe I should get something else. I can think of all sorts of stuff we need that I could justify buying but nothing that would be a birthday treat. What do you want for your birthday?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A vintage Jaguar, but that's never going to happen LOL

I like things like tickets to an event, such as a play or concert. Or an evening out at dinner with my family.

The last couple of years DH and I have agreed not to give each other gifts due to money issues, even though we sometimes agree to buy something for the house or yard. Last Mother's Day he gave me two pink dogwood trees which we consider an investment in our home's value. Yesterday we bought spring flower bulbs for a really early Father's Day gift.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Happy Birthday..

I seem to always pick a edible perennial to add to my edible land scape.. I look at it as we always need to eat so why not buy something that will give back for many years instead of buying something that won't last long or has been forgotten about...that's just me I'm different I know..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A few things come to mind. You mentioned in another thread you may need good winter clothing and new shoes and backpacks. So those would be high on my list, if I was in your situation. I might buy more expensive items than I would have, using the birthday money. I would be happy to recommend some excellent winter boots (Steger Mukluks) and a winter fleece anorak with outer wind shell (Wintergreen Northern Wear), both expensive but tried and true gear based on centuries-old designs and proven by more than one polar expedition. Both make winter clothing intended to last for years. I'm still wearing mukluks I bought in 1990 that show no signs of wearing out. IMbiasedO, both companies produce some of the best winter gear in the world. For other gear, my personal favorite is Mountainsmith for packs. Very well thought out and extremely well made, one of my favorite outdoor companies.

Another option might be to just put that money away until you get to your new place, if you move, and then decide what special thing you want or need based on your new situation.

I wouldn't buy anything that would be difficult or expensive to move, obviously.

If you're undecided, just wait. Something will present itself and then the money will be right there when you need it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Backpacking / hiking gear is a good idea. Thankfully, I have good winter-wear from living in Idaho. It isn't used that much here in MS but I held onto it.

The move is FAR off if it happens at all. We're still hammering out details and probably won't move until the beginning of 2017.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My birthday is coming up in early April, so I'm thinking a lot about this topic lately.

I always get a trip, and I'd like another piece of antique/vintage jewelry for my collection. Last year, I got a 1920s Art Deco sapphire and diamond ring in London. The year before that, I got engaged overlooking Lake Como with a vintage 1940s ring. DH sure knows how to spoil a lady!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lake Como, Italy ... breath-taking!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by CookieLee View Post
    Lake Como, Italy ... breath-taking!
    Oh, it was! I can't imagine a more perfect proposal. It was so perfect that I didn't even care that our Gibraltar wedding was a disaster... lol!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My birthday has passed already but the last few years I haven't really wanted anything. Most of the time, when I want something, I generally get it for myself on my own time and money. I think the one thing I would like to do is to do nothing, really. Just let my birthday pass unremarked. On the other hand, my mother's birthday is two days before mine so I go out with my parents for that.