Are you ready for Christmas?
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Are you ready for Christmas?

Are you ready for the incessant frenzy of advertising? The crowds? The lines? The family drama? Have you started shopping? Do you have a budget? Did you make a plan?
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm all done shopping, I like to get done before Halloween.

Everything for baking is in the stockpile and ready to go,
    i do need to buy turkeys, but will wait for the sales and then but a few for the freezer.

i have no family alive for anymore drama, we love spending time with our son and his wife, so i'm expecting a wonderful time again this year. I am looking forward to the tree, it seems to be really important to me now. I am just really Thankful I get to spend another season with them..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're hosting Cristmas Eve for the first time this year. We'll only be four people. I love lists and plans. Makes things so much easier.

I bought a frozen duck (The most common meat on Christmas Eve in Denmark) on sale last year after Christmas.

I have ideas for some gifts, but haven't got wish lists yet. I'm buying gifts for 8 or 10 family members. I buy as much as possible online. I don't want to waste time in stores.

I hope I can escape most of the family drama this year. It was bad last year, but my BF and I alternate between celebrating with my family and his family on Christmas Eve. His family is more relaxed than mine.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have dreaded the holidays the last several years but trying to make the best of it this year. We have cut way back on gift giviing over the years. Things will be different this year with father in law living with us and my dad having cancer. I am thinking things will be quieter and simpler. My mother is sure to add a dose of drama though. Mostly I will just be glad when they are over!

How about you CH?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just told my husband about an hour ago that we should get the Christmas stuff done soon.
    We just do useful presents now and its only 4 of us locally. We don't do a meal anymore and
    just make a visit to each person to exchange gifts. Hubs has a sister that we visit on Christmas
    eve day but that is really it.

I don't think I have been actual Christmas shopping at a mall or bigger store during the season
    for 20 years or more. I am always done so early. Don't miss it at all really.

I treat hubs to a small honey baked ham each year. It is his favorite.

I don't think I have ever eaten duck.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It is just the two of us, and maybe step-son will answer a text from DH. I have been buying gifts on clearance during the summer. Got a few fun things for DH, and lots of craft things to send to the younger nieces. I don't really have a plan, it will be quiet. I don't do massive shopping trips or decorating, I avoid the malls and big stores during busy times. I like to splurge on a Honey Ham though.

Will be getting the lights out the week before Thanksgiving and giving them a check. I like to get them up while it is still "warm", even though we don't turn them on until later.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm ready for a wonderful holiday season filled with many wonderful memories and the opportunity to spend time with family and friends and having experiences.

I have simplified my Christmas by greatly reducing gift giving and asking others not to give gifts to us. Hubby and I buy for each other, though some years we instead buy something larger for both of us. We'll also buy something for his mom and sister and perhaps one of my brothers (I'm the youngest of ten - I don't exchange gifts with my siblings).

For me, Christmas is all about experiences and peace and joy.

I get together with a friend I have known since junior high during December to do an all day Christmas cookie baking marathon.

Once the Christmas tree is set up and decorated on Thanksgiving weekend, I start spending my dark early mornings and late evenings sitting and watching the lights twinkle, often with a cookie and glass of eggnog or mug of hot cocoa in hand. It's one of my favorite things to do.

My parents and FIL have passed away, so we have only my MIL left. She moved from out of state to a house 5 minutes away from us two years ago, so I make sure to include her in as many Christmas festivities as I can.

I have plans for a murder mystery date night with my husband, taking trolley rides to view holiday lights in a nearby town, going to craft shows, going to our town's Christmas Walk event, visting a ChristKindl market in the next town and going to a play.

I also go to lunch with various friends.

I'll be playing Christmas music all the time as soon as my local radio station switches over (most likely in the next week or two).

I'll be buying gifts for toys for tots and am thinking of adopting one or more of the families off the Salvation Army Angel Tree. I'll make donations to the food pantry.

I'll be eating feasts of turkey and ham and prime rib roast.

I'll be watching a million Christmas movies and tv specials.

On Fridays between Thanksgiving and Christmas I'll wear different holiday sweaters and a sparkly sequin Santa vest that I own to work.

In short, I adore Christmas and have made it magical for myself and my family by deliberately eliminating all the stressors and keeping the things I love.
    2020 Pay Off Debt Challenge: $25,675.45/$25,676.45 (Goal COMPLETED: Pay Off By 12/30/2020)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is the first year in 18 years we will have our family gathering on Christmas Day. I am really looking forward to it. DH & I each have kids from previous marriages, none together. We have always deferred to his kids' Mom, and always had our party the weekend before. She has always seen them on both Christmas Eve & Christmas Day. We have had our date set for a year, so don't expect drama.

I love your outlook Ms Marie.

I have an event planned at church the first weekend in Dec to get together & make greenery center pieces. I bring all the supplies & greenery & we all enjoy the fellowship while assembling the arrangements. We also have a birthday party that day for youngest grand daughter who will be turning one.
    We always participate in the brighten a Christmas activities at our church, food boxes, mitten tree, adopt a family. We also attend Christmas Eve services, our only firm tradition since we married 18 years ago.
    I will make some cookies & maybe some pies or a cheese cake. I have a lot of my shopping done. I need around thirty gifts for a game we play & am probably 3/4 done with that. My kids have started giving me ideas for themselves & their kids. DH takes care of his kids & grand kids himself. Meaning, he quizzes them on what they want. Sometimes his kids don't decide until the last minute.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No, I'm not ready! Ask me again in about 3 weeks. lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm usually done with shopping by now but not this year. I will begin my shopping early in December. It's going to be a REALLY tight Christmas that's for sure but it's not about the presents (although part of my family that's what it's all about).

I am however, ready to start hearing Christmas music and the hustle and bustle of rushes and lines at the stores, lol I am also looking forward to getting together with the family for wonderful conversations and food as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We handle Christmas very diff. now that a lot of extended family has passed.And kids are adults w/o kids. WE dont visit relatives and buy very few gifts. I cut down a tree w/ DH and set it up. I will cook a meal at home. Prob. write a few checks for kids and a few charities. Dont send cards anymore. Dont bake anything much. Like to watch Christmas specials, some music over cable. I think smaller will be better this yr.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This year I will have family staying for a week.....my house is small....I am calling in all favors and asking for help cleaning....going to have meals in freezer so I won't be cooking....will put up a tree and my collection of nativities.....hubby will put up outdoor lights and will have my Mom's nativity in yard.....I was stressing last month about this visit but today I am in a better place and decided I will do what I can to make their visit pleasant but it is what it is and I am just going to enjoy their company......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by bookwormpeg View Post
    This year I will have family staying for a week.....my house is small....I am calling in all favors and asking for help cleaning....going to have meals in freezer so I won't be cooking....will put up a tree and my collection of nativities.....hubby will put up outdoor lights and will have my Mom's nativity in yard.....I was stressing last month about this visit but today I am in a better place and decided I will do what I can to make their visit pleasant but it is what it is and I am just going to enjoy their company......
    Company for a week!!!

Put a little thought into keeping them busy in the odd moments. Make sure that you have plenty of small chores for them to do and plenty of errands that they can run for you.

Good luck, take lots of pictures and enjoy the holidays!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm ready! I finished my shopping 2 weeks ago! This is actually the first year I've been done this early but I'm happy to be done with the shopping part! Now I can focus on decorating and baking and spending time with friends and family!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow have I been slacking this year, well it's because money is tight right now, but I have managed to get my mother, my sons GF and a few things for my 21 yo DD (the only one left living with us) and my grandson who's 12. I get paid on Dec 2nd so after bills I will do some more shopping, thank goodness the hubby is understanding and I had to talk him into doing a small Christmas this year. All of our kids are grown, youngest is 21 and we have 3 grandchildren, 12, 7 and 1, so they ALL will each only get a few gifts and that's that. My hubby's side of the family (my step-daughters are the ones with the grandkids) seem to think we have to keep spreading our hands out with gifts for them when the only person they remember to get a gift for is their father. Most of you guys already know the story as I've been here a while.

I know it is better to give than receive but it seems it's what we've done every year and well it's not fair to OUR daughter together when she gets nothing from her sisters, so that's going to end.