little changes

Thread: little changes

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cool little changes

Yesterday I went through my house and wrote down everything that needs to be changed, updated, repaired, etc. on my furniture. I have a long list! I decided to start with the kitchen table and chairs. I need help deciding what to paint or stain the table. I have posted a poll on my blog where you can go and vote, however, I am reserving the right to veto the majority vote. I really would like to hear what others think. I get so used to seeing things a certain way that I have a hard time imagining something different.

www.songbirdtiff.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just checked out your blog. I think you should leave the table the way it is. Maybe change the chairs instead. I like the somewhat rustic look of the table.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would paint the table black and paint the chairs chocolate brown, or visa-versa. Then I would accessorize with brown & black placemats or a table-runner and maybe chair pads. Do you know how to sew? I made a table-runner once by sewing 4 inexpansive placemats together.

Brown & black is one of my favorite color combos, and I think the colors will up-date the look immediately.

I also think the chairs need changing.

Theresa

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay Tiffany, I just looked at your blog, etc... table and chairs.

How about painting the chairs a neutral cream, and blocking out a sort of 'inlaid' pattern (your choice) on the table. You could make it black/cream or brown/cream. Then give it 1 or 2 coats of polyurethan (sp) afterwards, use a steel wool pad to smooth out in between coats for a super smooth finish.

Sort of like a parkay (sp) type floor.

Just an idea.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I posted a comment to your blog. What a lovely blog by the way. I will definately be checking out more of it later.

I would not paint the top of a table that will be frequently wiped down. I would go with a stain and lots of poly on at least the top.

If you do paint I would follow Dee's suggestion of the poly and steelwool for the paint as well. I would probably go at least 3 coats on the poly though no matter what you use underneath it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are some really good ideas here ladies. I still can't decide what to do! I should have mentioned that if the table does get painted, it will get several coats of good quality wax to keep the paint from getting washed off.

hmcart, I also really like the table as it is but the finish is coming off. I could wax over it and it would be ok. Right now I'm leaning toward refinishing it. I have already painted the chairs several times to try to make it work. It just might be one of those situations, like my couch, where I'm just going to have to purchase new chairs in order to keep the table. I do know how to sew and was thinking about making chair pads.

If there are any other ideas out there, I'd love to hear them!

GG-thanks for the compliment, I've really enjoyed learning how to make a blog. It's helped me get my creative juices flowing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great find! I vote for refinishing or restaining the table and painting the chairs a matte black. I'm trying to attach a photo of my table and chairs, which would be that combination, so I'm a little prejudiced. Whatever you decide, I enjoyed reading your blog and admire your frugal decorating pursuits.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

buc, I love your table and chairs! I might just have to do that!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You could always seal the chairs with poly. if they keep kncking. It would work better if they are painted a color other than white. Poly. sometimes takes on a yellowish hue (like a smokers tinge on a wall) on white paint. I've never had a prblem with any other color paint.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by TheRootedNomad View Post
    You could always seal the chairs with poly. if they keep kncking. It would work better if they are painted a color other than white. Poly. sometimes takes on a yellowish hue (like a smokers tinge on a wall) on white paint. I've never had a prblem with any other color paint.
    I really should do that. I probably will paint the chairs black and refinish the table. I bet sealing with poly would keep them in good shape longer. Our furniture gets used and abused so anything that protects it would be a good thing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I saw this when I was with my mom looking at furniture. Re-stain the top of the table and legs and paint black around the edge or sides of the table. Then paint the chairs black. It looked great on the showroom pieces.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by luv-my-lexi View Post
    I saw this when I was with my mom looking at furniture. Re-stain the top of the table and legs and paint black around the edge or sides of the table. Then paint the chairs black. It looked great on the showroom pieces.
    That would look really nice! It will be pretty easy to sand the top of the table, but sanding the sides and legs would have been much more difficult. Painting them would be pretty easy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I posted a better picture to help you get a better idea of the table and chairs.