Accessories ... "Where" do you find room to put them ...?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Accessories ... "Where" do you find room to put them ...?

Okay, I'm getting ready to re-do my livingroom and so am trying to plan everything out on paper first, the best I can.

I know that accessories bring the room together and all those designers on the home shows make it look so easy ...

But ... for some reason, I can't seem to find a place to put them.

I have 3 stands in my livingroom but still can't find much of a place for any.

One stand has a plant with a doily under it and no room left for anything else on that one.

Another one has a crystal type looking lamp on it [I'm sure it's not real crystal but is pretty anyways] and where the stand is placed, anything else on it most likely wouldn't be seen plus not much room for anything else on it.

And, the third is a stand with a lamp attached ... the stand is black [which is going to be painted] but to me, it'd look kind of funny to have much on it like a vase or anything with the lamp over top of it.

Maybe a few well placed books on the stand with the lamp attached? What do you all think?

I guess I'm not much of a person who has talent for this but I so want this room to look nice and homey [I'm going for the shabby chic look for is.]

Another place I guess is my TV stand 'cuz it has 2 shelves under it [one of them has my DVD player on it] and the other has a family picture which I'll have to change 'cuz it's not a homey type picture if that makes sense?

It's of our old race car and well, I don't see that fitting in too good with shabby chic decor. *lol*

Would appreciate any and all ideas and trust me, I'll be starting lots more threads as I get started on this project.

~*Jen*~

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Maybe some shelves on the walls? Or a bookcase?

For your table with the lamp, what about a basket with a fabric liner, and some books or candles casually laying in the basket? Or maybe a large basket on the floor next to or under it could hold some things?

For me accessories just kind of click in my mind when I see them and I know where they "belong" in my home.

I love Shabby Chic decor... so feminine and casual. Have fun decorating!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Do you have "accessories" in mind that you are looking to find space for? Or are you looking for them as you go?

My favorite shabby chic decorating is old things used anew. I had our living room in this style for awhile, and I had taken 2 old paneled windows. They were white with chipping paint (they were perfectly shabby) and I hung them on the walls. They looked really cute. Later, I used them as picture frames. I centered a 4x6 b&w photo in the center of each pane. It looked really cute.

I actually just de-cluttered my living room to get rid of all of my "accessories. With the exception of one shelf with a potted plant and some photos, everything is on the walls now.

What about putting up a fake mantle? Those always look pretty, you could put a large picture frame in where the "fire" should be, then set things on the mantle.

Hit some nice resale shops, just to window shop and get some ideas!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Amy, those are some great ideas ... I especially love the idea of the things in the basket maybe sitting on the bottom shelf of the lamp stand. Thank you!

Tiffany, nope ... no accessories really now except for a couple which I'm debating if I even want to keep.

Like you, awhile back I went through and got rid of nearly all knick knacks 'cuz it was a pain to dust them, etc.

I have no way to get to re-sale or thrift shops. The closest ones are 20+ miles from here and I have no vehicle.

You have some good ideas as well ... I'm gonna keep these threads in my favorites so when I get to that point, I can come back and re-read all the ideas here! [Thank you too!]

Love,

Jen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Weird. I'm pretty sure I replied in this thread, and you wrote a response to me but it's gone. I was trying to remember what I said. lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh Tiffany, I screwed up [I'm sorry, Sarah!]

Sometimes all these names run together and I must have read another thread you commented on Tiffany and then write your name on here instead of Sarah's. *lol*

Love,

Jennelle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gotcha, I thought I was losing my mind! lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I would have suggested a bookcase as well. Put books in it and then in front of the books you can put some photo's, or figurines.

I really like the idea of a fake mantelpiece, GREAT for accessorising......think Christmas

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Tiffany, nope - you're not losing your mind.

Ellen, I do have a bookcase but it's a small one and no room in front of the books to put anything.

If I had room in here, I'd sure think about buying a bigger one but no room.

Okay - about the mantle, typically where would one of those be placed?

I mean, would they be over furniture such as a love seat or what?

As you can tell, I really have no experience with decorating and am not real creative. *lol*

Love,

Jen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wish I could help ya, but I have the exact same problem! I think I need to yard sale and find some cute shelves. Better yet, maybe hubby could make them out of all the spare wood he has!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also suggest looking at magazines and online sites for ideas. I have a stack of decorating magazines(country home, romantic homes, etc.) if you'd like me to send them to you. I also suggest a dream book. Mine is a binder with pages that I tape pics of things I like to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'd have my son-in-law make me some shelves [he's a carpenter] but has a side business with his dad and he's always so busy that I hate to bother him.

Right now pretty much everything in my livingroom is bare.

The walls were just painted this week and I'm gonna re-do the colors and so forth so don't want to put pictures up and other stuff till I get different ones ... don't want more nail holes in the wall than necessary. *lol*

Jen