My love seat, I love it but ....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default My love seat, I love it but ....

Okay, I have a love seat which I bought a year ago.

It's in perfect shape but the color/pattern will not fit in with my shabby chic theme.

I've thought of buying a new one but really don't want more payments to the furniture store [I just got them paid off finally.]

Can't afford to get it re-upholstered and as for a slip cover, well ...

It has floppy arms and I hope you all know what I mean when I say that, not sure how else to explain it though.

So, the regular slip covers I'm sure won't fit on it 'cuz most couches and love seats have the more firm type arms on them.

I'm not good at things like this [trying to make one, etc.]

Not interested in a throw cover at all 'cuz every time someone sat down on it, I know it'd wrinkle and would have to be straightened up and that would drive me nuts.

Any ideas on what to do short of buying a new one?

~*Jen*~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It sounds like a slip cover is your only option. My couch has floppy, flat arms (sounds attractive, right. ) and I use a slip cover for it. You just have to keep tucking the extra fabric until it fits. I know that's not what you're looking for, but I can't think of any other options.

Oh, I and I would rather sit on inflatable furniture than make payments on furniture. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Tiffany ... floppy flat arms, yes - that's like mine!

I'd rather not buy a new one but if it comes to that then I guess I will.

The way I figure it is that I'm home 99% of the time so why not make it just how I want it, ya know?

As for a slip cover for it ... I know someone who sews for people,

She made a spread for my day bed and did a beautiful job.

I'm wondering if maybe I could call her and see if there might be a way for her to make a custom slip cover for me?

Something to definitely think about and to check out!

Love,

Jen

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would go see this friend and bring a picture with you, I am sure she would be able to figure something out for that floppy armed loveseat, lol

Speaking of that, do you have a picture you care to share?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~My dad made custom seat covers for his car by laying his fabrics right side down on the seats and sewing the seams on the outside. Then he just turned it inside out and cover his seats. I haven't personally tried this but his seat covers turned out gorgeous so I'd definately try it myself before buying new. I reccommend using lightweight canvas or cotton duck for a slipcover as it's very durable and stain resistant.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have covered just about every shape and style of couch imagineable with a slip cover, when I owned a resale furniture shop.

You'd be surprised what a few safety pins will do! DH's den couch has a slip cover on it (it was a freebie couch and is extremely ugly), I safety pin the extra fabric down on the arms, underneath the cushions. That way the safety pins hold any extra fabric and they stay in place under the cushions and no one can poke themselves with the safety pins accidentally.

If you have a friend who is a sewer, I'm sure she could make something up for you. The cheapest way to make a slip cover for a couch is to find bedsheets that you like and have them made out of that. Much cheaper than purchasing the fabric by the yard, if you can find something you like!

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought 2 queen sized sheets, sewed them together lengthwise, and covered my loveseat.
    I use an old broom handle to wedge it in behind the cushions...so it isn't always slipping out, and I just tuck the excess under all around the bottom.
    Fits perfectly into the shabby chic style.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi!

Okay, here's a picture of the love seat ... any feedback on it is sure welcome!

Believe it or not, I had a thought earlier that if there was a way I could do it - I'd get fabric paint and paint it and change the colors. *lol*

Yes, I'm "that" desperate.

But, I couldn't think of any way to do that and make it shabby chic looking so decided that it wasn't such a good idea after all. ha! ha!

I hope the picture comes out right - have never posted one on here before.

Love,

Jen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh ... it worked so I must have done it right!

Jen

I don't like the looks of it but it is so comfortable!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Is that a cheeto? I always see things in my pictures after I take them that I know know are there. Usually, in my pictures, there's an animal somewhere.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Tiffany,

Oh my gosh ... that is too funny and yes, it was a cheeto [well, a cheese puff anyways! *lol*]

Believe it or not, it was laying there 'cuz I got it out for my cat.

Yeah, really!

I just noticed a couple of weeks ago that she loves licking all of the orange stuff off the outside of them.

So, I get a couple out for her at a time and have to hold them until she gets all of the stuff licked off. Too funny, huh?

This cat is about the pickiest one you're ever see ... a good part of the time she won't even eat her cat food I get for her but she'll go for a cheeto? Silly spoiled cat!

Love,

Jen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ha! I thought maybe a wayward kiddo left it there. It's even funnier that you left it for your cat. I would do that. My cat likes to eat pork rines and he is the BIGGEST beggar! He'll steal it from your mouth given a chance.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mine usually doesn't beg except for canned food.

The thing is ... one day she'll eat the kind of canned food I give her and the next, she won't. Ugggh! *lol*

It used to be that I had probably 6-7 different flavors that she'd eat but lately I'm down to about 3 flavors.

You wouldn't believe how much canned cat food that has got wasted because she wouldn't eat it.

It's my fault though I'm sure 'cuz when she was little, if she didn't like or want at that particular time the kind I gave her ...

I'd be like ... aaah, come on honey, I'll get you another kind and then would toss what I'd just given her and get her a different kind.

What a mistake ... I created a picky monster.

Love,

Jen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What are the colors of your love seat? By the picture it looks like it is beige, blue and kind of a rust color? is that correct?

If you can't get a cover made for it and it seems like it is in really great shape, I would work with it! I could envision bringing out the palest blue and white/cream to work with it in decorative pillows, curtains and accessories! A blue and white braided rug in front of it! A large wreath with pale, pale blue and cream and taupe florals! Oh it could be really pretty!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Daisy, that sounds really pretty ... thanks for the ideas.

For now [since I originally posted this thread, I've decided to stick with what I have and work around it after all.]

My theme is kind of tropical ... I've got things pretty much figured out with the exception of picking out a few pictures and a couple of other small things [accessories mainly.]

For now, I'm on my way to go look for some pictures [8 x 10" ones] to go around a bigger one that I have already. Wish me luck!

Love,

Jen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast