Does decorating=clutter?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cool Does decorating=clutter?

I've heard some comments on this board that seem to imply that having a "decorated" house means that there's clutter. My house is somewhat decorated but it's far from cluttered. I have a few things on display, everything means something to me, but all my "stuff" is put away. I would like to hear your thoughts on decorations vs. clutter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I think sentiment is the difference between clutter and 'decor'. How many times have you looked through a magazine and seen a decorating job that had waaaaay too many Ikea decor pieces? I can't just have stuff around that looks cool. I have to keep the breakable and dangerous stuff from my kids and who wants to dust around a table of store bought vases anyway? Now, if it's a table of depression era glass vases than dusting around them is no problem. ;-) Also, I don't know how ornery your cats are but kids are quite ornery. An end table with a nice selection of meaningful decor items becomes cluttered looking very quickly when the kids come along and move everything out of place.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think there is a line between clutter and decor and each person has to draw their own line. I have always had lots o f home decor stuff and recently got rid of much of it. I realized then that somewhere along the way, I had crossed the line from decoration to clutter and it is much better now that I've cleared out. So much cleaner and fresher looking in my house!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nuisance26 View Post
    ~I think sentiment is the difference between clutter and 'decor'. How many times have you looked through a magazine and seen a decorating job that had waaaaay too many Ikea decor pieces? I can't just have stuff around that looks cool. I have to keep the breakable and dangerous stuff from my kids and who wants to dust around a table of store bought vases anyway? Now, if it's a table of depression era glass vases than dusting around them is no problem. ;-) Also, I don't know how ornery your cats are but kids are quite ornery. An end table with a nice selection of meaningful decor items becomes cluttered looking very quickly when the kids come along and move everything out of place.~
    You make a great point!

About the cats, together with the dogs it's like having five 3 year olds in the house. Nothing stays on the coffee table. I have one cat that will get up there just to push it off. Even the TV remote. lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it's just a matter of personal taste. I can go to other's homes that are nicely decorated and they look great, not cluttered....but as for my own home, I don't really have any decorative pieces because I like clear counters, tables, walls, etc. My mom had alot of knick knacks so maybe that's why I am this way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It is a personal preference thing. I don;t like knick knacks. Some may call it docorating in their home, and in thiers home it would be fine. But I would never have them in my home, cause I like surfaces clean, and have no desire to have to dust that stuff.....err, knick knacks. As I look at my bookshelf, I have books that are "bookended" with decorative type things, but they also serve a purpose:keeping the books up. My hubby does have a tractor displayed on our bookshlef, and I have two decorative plates that are simply displayed. But that's about it. I have been told that my house seems "clean and minimalistic".....but then, that came from my "clutterbug friend", so it's all a matter of perspective.
    did that make any sense at all?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yep, Traci, it made perfect sense.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

To me, they're very different things. "Decorating" is the total package - wall color, flooring, upholstered furniture, wooden furniture, window coverings, "soft" furnishings such as pillows and throws, and then finally the accent pieces for your walls and tabletops. If you go overboard on the accent pieces, then certainly your house will look cluttered. I only buy/keep/display things that I absolutely love, so it's not a problem for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a really hard time hanging on to things and I am not a fan of knick knacks. Things in my house have to have greater purpose than to just sit. I think "decorating" is putting together a style and showcasing a few special pieces. If the top of my short bookcases were totally clear it would look weird, but I can't stand having stuff lying all over them. So there are a few items (plant and my favorite little Polaroid on one, lamp and ceramic piggy bank on the other). It's all that little stuff in between that's clutter to me. I grew up in apartments that were very full (partly because we didn't have much space), but also very neat. In my opinion there was always too much stuff in our house (think upright piano next to the dining table right by the computer desk, all along the kitchen breakfast nook counter), but at least stuff was always put away and it was very clean. If I had the money I'd pay for my mom to decorate her apartment any way she wants with quality items because she's never happy with all the mismatched second-rate furniture and she's always using her days off work to rearrange and rearrange.

There IS a fine line between a house feeling like home and feeling cluttered. Or conversely one that feels fresh and one that just feels bare.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with gg. Clutter to me is having pots, pans dishes all tossed around on counters. Old newspapers and magazines laying around. Shoes and clothes strewn here and hither. Children's toys tossed around everywhere. That is all clutter to me.

What I do have is collections of like items arranged and displayed together all kept neat and tidy in one spot. I have a collection of doves displayed together on top of my computer desk along with a pitcher with roses, some candles and a couple of milk glass items. On the wall behind is a large mirror that reflects everything sitting in the display. I have other items displayed together in other areas.

Hope this makes sense.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

to me decorating is fresh paint, trim, mouldings, furniture, portraits, wall hangings, lamps, rugs or flooring, and window coverings.

accent pieces and clutter are clutter.

i prefer bare table tops.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For me, decoration is a result of thought and clutter is what happens when something is just there because it always has been. Our bedroom, a recent mini redo is decorated. Other areas are cluttered because I let them get that way. I think there is a line.

My SIL has every knick-knack she has every gotten or been given on display, to me that is clutter because it's too much. Some of it is nice stuff, but you can't see things individually because of the whole.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For me i love the warm and cozy feeling of my surroundings. I love the primitive style and my house is full of it. But each room is clean,dusted,floors are swept and mopped.No junk papers ect.My dishes are always done and put away.My counter has a coffee pot and canisters.Other then nothing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Interesting reading and some very different views.

I am one of those that doesn't go much for 'knick knacks' as I don't like to dust them.......but doesn't mean I don't like them....just not in my house. A friend has a bunch of them and they are great..........in her house.

I agree with some other postings.........decor is the total package whereas clutter is the extra stuff sitting around that adds nothing to the 'decor' part.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think there's a fine line. A lot of things that I think look great in say Country Living Magazine would translate into clutter if I tried it at home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast