How would you classify country style?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default How would you classify country style?

I'm interested in reading your responses...What's the difference in country and rustic? What furnishings/fabrics/textures define country style? Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here's a cool link that shows what you can get for different rooms.

http://www.piperclassics.com/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think there are different country styles. There's primitive country, which is what I like...rustic, antiques, simple. Then there's what I call fru fru country....lacey curtains, old doilies, things like that. But, I'm not much of a decorator as I don't like "stuff" so my knowledge base is limited lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm interested in answers to this too. I took a bunch of books out of the library on country style and honestly, they remind me more of minimalist flea market find stuff. Not country!

Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    I'm interested in answers to this too. I took a bunch of books out of the library on country style and honestly, they remind me more of minimalist flea market find stuff. Not country!
    I think the proliferation of Shabby Chic has muddied the waters of country style. A lot of the stuff I see in Country Living lately is more cottage or Shabby Chic than country.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Personally, I think country is different for everyone. Alot of my friends would classify my house as country, though, I would agree it used to be, it isn't anymore.

When I had a "country" style, I had lots of knick-knack type antique things around. I had lots of flea market finds in my house like stacked luggage for end tables, a bunch of old wooden crates stacked and used for bookshelves, and I've always had really earthy tones in my house, lots of greens and tans, I've always had a quilt hanger on my living room wall with a quilt on it (I think that is why my friends would still call it country), old raggedy ann dolls, wooden signs, and just lots of neat things that really don't belong in living spaces!

I decided that our house needed less clutter and more style. So a few years ago I redecorated everything. My living room, dining room, kitchen is one big area, so now it is all coordinated color-wise. I have a khaki tan, an army green, and chocolate brown. My kitchen "theme" is coffee, so I have coffee art on the walls and my living room/dining room and one wall into the kitchen has all black and white family photos hanging on the wall. Something I wouldn't call country anymore, but my friends still classify my house that way. I don't know what I would call it, but it wouldn't be country!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Country spotlights crafts and homemade goods..

Rustic is a masculine barebones type with accents of natural wood. More of the "bring nature inside"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Rebookie View Post
    Country spotlights crafts and homemade goods..

Rustic is a masculine barebones type with accents of natural wood. More of the "bring nature inside"
    I totally agree with this. I love using handmade quilts, rugs, wood crafts. If you can find it on a farm the better. hehehe.

Cat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree with Rebecca as well. That is how I would describe it best.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree there are different types of country.

The country of the 80's with the mauve and blue and ruffled everything and cutesy accents is pretty much gone.

I think that country encompasses a whole lot of styles. Farmhouse country is more simple with maybe a 30'40's dishes and things thrown in. Shabby chic can have a country twist with some rustic thrown in. Colonial country can have rustic or be refined with fine antiques of that era.

I just don't like that the designer shows all seem to look down at country! To me when you go into someone's house and it looks like you could be in a furniture showroom, I wonder where is the relfection of their personality? I like rooms that have family pictures, memorabilia, antiques even if it is not my country style I think your home should reflect you, not just a theme.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love the shaker style! Wood, clean lines, simplicity. Plain fabrics & solid, neutral colors. Could that be considered country? (I have a couple of friends who might call my style "boring" )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My county style is what you would see in "Country Sampler" magazine.
    I love primitive country. I do not like any of the "fru fru" country styles with the lace and doilies. My colors are deep reds, dark blues, mustards and black off of a tan or mocha background.

I decorate seasonally. For example right now I have my snowmen out mixed in with Valentines decor along with my everyday items. I keep my snowmen or winter decor out until March or until I get so tired of seeing snow that I want a change.

I don't really have a spring decor since a lot of things for spring are a pastel color. I do not like pastels. So March through May is regular primitive decor. May through August is Red, White and blue to go for Memorial Day and July 4th. Then of course comes Autumn and Christmas.

I have found that by keeping the backgroung color pretty neutral I can fill in with the colors that I love for all seasons. Every few months my home has a fresh new look just by changing assesories.

I keep the cost down by having the hubs make many of the wood products I see in country magazines or primitive shoppes. I then paint them whatever color I want. I find items at garage sales or the swap shed at our local transfer station. I do embroidery of sayings or pictures and turn them into wall hangings or pillows.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

check this Nina

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Homekeepn your home sounds wonderful!!!! Do you have a webshots or something of your home - you should I would love the inspiration. I love to decorate seasonally also! It is a fun and thrifty way to decorate. All your basics are in place but every few months it's like you have new stuff! I get most of my decor from yard sales and thrift stores and am always finding something cute!

I can't remember whose blog it was but this lady had a wonderful idea to take wooden or resin items that were pastels or very light colored and repaint them so they looked prim. She would add homespun bows and things also. I have a large white wooden rabbit that I am going to paint chocolate brown and tie a homespun bow around his neck. 50 cents from Salvy!!!