How do I create a wood grain effect on walls?
    Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How do I create a wood grain effect on walls?

Has anyone ever done this? My son wants a lodge/hunting cabin kind of feel in his room redo. Schools almost over and for Christmas he received new curtains, sheets, a fleece blanket, and a few pieces of rustic decor for his upcoming Summer room redo. He expressed the desire for faux wood grain on his walls. Paints cheap and his birthday is coming up in June, I'd like this to be his birthday present. Any helpful hints?

Thanks,
    Polly
    Last edited by pollypurebred39; 05-24-2009 at 04:30 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I saw this done, but I've never tried it!

But I thought it was an awesome way to do it! They painting the wall a "wood color", then went back and painting in fairly thin, dark lines about 8 inches apart, to make "boards". Then they took a color that was a bit darker than wall color, and used a comb to make the wood grain. They dipped the comb in the paint, then ran it back and forth across the "boards". And I rememember it saying to make them uneven and wavy, not perfectly straight so it looked more like natural wood. Then they actually took a light wood stain and went over all of it!

It turned out totally awesome, but I think it would take some practice!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

sarah,

did you see it on tv or in person. if it was on tv i wonder if i can catch an episode of it of the web.

polly

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We use a tool called a wood graining tool, its sold at paint and hoe stores like home depot and Lowes. Its important to go slowly and remeber that wood is not perfect.
    You'll need a base coat lighter than your top coat. This will allow for shading as you pull the graining tool across the wall to get the grain effect. Your top coat will make the veins in the wood.
    Once you've found a top color you like work in sections. Paint the section maybe four feet wide by four feet wide. The tool is curved plastic work it back and forth with out lifting it up. A rocking motion. Remember colors get slightly darker as they dry.

Hope this helps. Its had to explain something your used to just doing.

Laurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

paint 4 feet by 4 feet, dosen't that break up the lines if you are going for the cut lumber look. which i'm not sure i am, that maybe for someone with more expertise. i'm just afraid you'll see 4 x4 blocks when you stand back. how can i blend it so that does not happen, or does it just blend by itself.

are there different sizes of wood graining tools. the widths, so if you run it down or across a wall it would be like 1 plank of wood.

and one more question, does the type of paint matter and should it be clear coated after.

sorry so many questions, i've only ever seen the finished product on a store front and i don't have cable tv so watching home improvements shows are out. i did try looking up episodes of shows on the net, but i could not find anything except one show where they used wood grain contact paper.

thanks,
    polly

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi Polly! I did a search on google for "wood grain faux painting techniques", and a bunch of different sites came up. You also might want to check out youtube to see if there's a video. I know for me, that watching it being done would be the best.

Hope you find what you're looking for. And please let us know how you do. Pics please?

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks. I've been searching you tube and it really was not that helpful. More finish products and sales for faux videos.Hmmm....This is frustrating, it looks like if I want to see this technique done I'm going to have to purchase a dvd, which is not going to happen. I really don't like winging things, but I think I just might here.

When it's all said and done I'll see if I can get my oldest to post pictures. But that will be quite awhile yet. Our youngest wants a either a antler chandieler or a very rustic fan from the ceiling. A faux fireplace, and woodsy game boards painted on his hardwood floor. Like a game card table, checkers, and backgammon (Now gameboards stenciled on the floor
    are real easy and cheap, the rest isn't) He'd love a gun and fishing rack, maybe a deer head or something, so it will be a bunch of yard sales this Summer. He wants a side table that's really rustic and a woodsy lamp to go on it. A very cabellas kind of room. Very over the top, hey he's 15 and wants a room to hang out with his buddies and feel like a guy. His Mom-Mom gave us money last Christmas to get his room redo a head start. My painting will do a lot in transforming this room, but it still will have a long way to go. I'm really hoping yard sales will be extremely fruitful this year.

http://netnebraska.org/extras/statew...s/cabelas.html

Scroll down and read the story. Cabellas is big around here to. If anyone has the chance to go you really shoud, it will just blow your mind. It is a museum inside of a store. My son loves this place.He is very skilled in archery, and loves fishing and his Rangers group camping trips. He is a bit of a fantic about wilderness stuff and I really want to make him a room of his dreams.

Think I can craft a lighting fixture like one of these out of something second hand?

http://www.aspenlighting.com/chandel...andeliers.html

This fan I can't ever hope to recreate, but they sure are awesome

http://www.rusticlightingandfans.com...eiling_fan.htm
    Last edited by pollypurebred39; 05-25-2009 at 02:03 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Look what I came across. Now it's not a antler chandelier, but there lies the bones of possibilities.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Tumbleweed-Chandelier/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    Look what I came across. Now it's not a antler chandelier, but there lies the bones of possibilities.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Tumbleweed-Chandelier/
    That is a definite possibility Polly. I'm sure if you play with it, you'll get it just right

Anyway, I was coming on to tell you that in the Martha Stewart Living mag, they have an article on faux woodgrain. I haven't visited it, but here's the link>>

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/...eo&rsc=GN_type

you need to copy/paste, and the project is the 3rd pic down.

the pattern is called faux bois. i hope it's just what you're looking for.

Theresa
    Last edited by mamamia; 05-28-2009 at 12:59 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

sorry, double post

Theresa
    Last edited by mamamia; 05-28-2009 at 01:03 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

wow, thanks. that was incredibly helpful. i feel a lot better starting this project now. thank you so much.

i like the tumble weed chandelier, it has potential. given the right tree limb. perhaps it does not even have to hang....hmmm, not sure yet. i really need to think on it. it definately fits in the frugal category.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The only woodgrain look that I have seen done used a glaze so that the paint didn't dry as quick...if it shows where you start and stop make it look like the end of a board and starting of another with a mark of paint up and down on the plank..Just remember to stager these lines...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    wow, thanks. that was incredibly helpful. i feel a lot better starting this project now. thank you so much.

i like the tumble weed chandelier, it has potential. given the right tree limb. perhaps it does not even have to hang....hmmm, not sure yet. i really need to think on it. it definately fits in the frugal category.
    You're so welcome Polly! I was glad to see it in the mag. I might just refer to it myself some time. It really is a nice effect.

And the tumbleweed chandalier will definetely work some how. I think once you get started, it'll all just "happen". Just gotta get those creative juices flowing, kwim? But yeah, It certainly fits the bill!

Hoping the best for you Polly! I know you'll do good, and best of all, you'll have a blast putting it together. Sounds like fun!

Let us know how things move along after you get started, ok?

Theresa