Spare bedroom ideas for future please
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Spare bedroom ideas for future please

Thinking ahead 'cause its what I do. In a couple of years I will have another spare bedroom. This one is located in the basement which I don't frequent. I already have one spare bedroom that I'm using as a computer room/library, I'm in there all the time and love it. I don't do crafts. I don't have people over so don't want an actual bedroom. (I prefer not to become an available hostess) The room has limited lighting due to just one basement window. It is not a master size, has a small closet, and does have an adjacent bathroom but not its own door into the bathroom.

So I throw this out there to all of you, what would YOU do if you had a spare room?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Neat and organized walk in closet/storage closet!. Half pantry & half closet for out of season clothes, shoes and other odds & sods

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can you / would you use it as a storage / stockpile room? Since it's in the basement, does it have moisture, mildew problems?

My sis used an extra bright sunny room upstairs in her house for sewing. She used the darker one downstairs for glass etchings (like Tiffany glass - I can't remember the word). I can't vouch for those uses, as I don't do either. The downstairs room she took the carpet out, so glass shards were easier to clean up.

Can you run grow lights down there and have fresh herbs, etc? That would be my first choice.

Yea for you! Enjoy your space! I totally understand not turning it into a spare bedroom. I haven't / won't for my extra either.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It would get used as a closet here. We have too much crap. Too many boxes of DVDs and books. I suppose we could turn it into a "library". That would clear the 'family' room for entertaining again.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    Can you / would you use it as a storage / stockpile room? Since it's in the basement, does it have moisture, mildew problems?

My sis used an extra bright sunny room upstairs in her house for sewing. She used the darker one downstairs for glass etchings (like Tiffany glass - I can't remember the word). I can't vouch for those uses, as I don't do either. The downstairs room she took the carpet out, so glass shards were easier to clean up.

Can you run grow lights down there and have fresh herbs, etc? That would be my first choice.

Yea for you! Enjoy your space! I totally understand not turning it into a spare bedroom. I haven't / won't for my extra either.
    OOH I like the plant room idea!!! In my neighborhood people would probably call the cops when they see the grow lights hahahaha! Or ask if I would share. *grin* I could totally do a plant room.

I like the storage idea, that would free up my bathroom closet if I did bedding, tp, paper towel stockups down there. The basement does not have any moisture issues thankfully. I wonder if a plant room would be too humid, though?

I'd find a hobby but I'm not much of a hobby person. Animals are my true love but I'm at my limit for pets in my heart and finances.

Thank you for the suggestions, it really helps to hear what other people would do to a room.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like the stock room idea myself. Or plant growing!!!! Just think, tomatoes all year long!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If I had a room like that I would use it like a walk in closet/storage room. I already have a den for my crafts. I am in the process of re-organizing my den to maximize the storage for my fabric and supplies, yarn, scrap booking materials, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For us, it would be a music room.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Stockpile room

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'd have a custom closet put into that room. That entire room could be a walk-in closet. That's my heaven.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

I am mentally rearranging the room and actually the house already. (It helps me cope when the teen is getting under my skin, ha!) My dogs have the entire unfinished basement, stairway, dog door out to fenced yard. I think I will make that bedroom hold anything they could get into, all of their supplies, all laundry stockpiling as the laundry room is down there, and household stockpiling that would not be a pain to run to the basement to get.

I really do not have many clothes so I don't think I'll do a clothing closet. But it did occur to me that if I wanted the extra clothing storage, I could move stuff from this upstairs spare bedroom closet which is currently storage, down to the future spare bedroom when its available. Thus opening up handier closet upstairs for those things I want to keep closer to me.

I do still love the plant and garden idea but I think I'll go with stockpiling.

Thanks all for contributing!