What's popular on windows these days?
    Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default What's popular on windows these days?

Some of our windows don't have anything on them, and the livingroom, bathroom and our bedroom have floor length shears. I'm trying to think how to dress the house up for sale and I need to do something with the windows in the kids' bedrooms.

Right now there is an old blind on one and a dark curtain on the other. Neither looks good, they are just there to keep their rooms dark. What's a popular look for bedroom windows these days? I want to make sure the rooms don't look dated when the house is being shown, but I don't know much about current decorating trends.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

do you watch "sell this house?" you can watch it online.

i got the idea of using sheets on a rod from them. looks fresh and spiff and no sewing.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Do they hang all the way to the floor? I don't mind sewing, just not sure what the end product should look like.

I watch those selling houses shows but have never seen them address windows, usually they're just moving furniture around when I watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

roger on "sell this house" has them from very top of the wall (at the corner of the wall and the ceiling) to the floor. looks classy and sophisticated.

go watch the videos on http://www.aetv.com/the-big-fix/vide...id=68200611001
    Last edited by ladykemma2; 04-09-2010 at 08:47 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have 8' ceilings and hang my curtains from the very edge of the crown molding downwards to make my windows look bigger. If you don't go the sheet route, you can also get painter's dropcloths at Home Depot or similar and hang them on a rod using rings clipped on. Or just make a "pocket" by hand stitching, using fusible web or hem tape, or even safety pins. These come in a neutral beige color and would coordinate with anything.

Matchstick-type blinds are a good neutral choice and not too expensive, also.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

In the decorating shows I'm seeing sheers, horizontal stripes, and multi-color panels.

We have vertical blinds in our home. Decorators hate them, but it's what works on our windows. In the bedroom I have heavy dark curtains on top of the blinds. I suppose if I was showing it, I would have the blinds open and curtains pushed to the side to let the light in and show off the view of the side of our neighbor's house.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Whatever you put on the windows should be light and have the ability to be opened to let the sun shine in! You could have blinds that could be pulled up ALL the way, with light curtains that FRAME the window.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had to look these up to see b/c my windows are outdated as well and this was the year I was hoping to re-do my lv rm to update it.

Six Tips for Great Window Treatments : Kitchens : Home & Garden Television

10 Window Treatment Trends : Decorating : Home & Garden Television

My sister made her own version of #3 and it looks nice.

I think the key is to let the sun shine in, natural light is the most flattering and no light bulb can mimic its wonderfulness. So let it in and it could help sell your house

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Muslin is inexpensive and looks great.

Muslin is lightweight, generally cheap, can be tea or coffee stained to darken it a bit if you like, or even dyed fairly impressive colors.

On the windows it looks beautiful, and organic and lets lots of light shine through.

Because we live in town and in a coldish climate I tend to use really lightweight curtains with a set of heavier ones to the outside. In the daytime I can just let the light shine through the muslin, but keep my privacy, and at night or when it's cold out pull the heavier ones almost shut.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

great ? and mahalo for all the answers _ I too need to update some of our windows!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I actually have a twin size flat sheet as a curtain on my bedroom window... pulled back and fastened with a decorative drapery tie with tassel. The fitted sheet I used to cover two long pillows to make a padded headboard for my bed that sits right on top of the mattresses. I have just a hollywood frame and didn't want to spend the $$ for a wooden headboard. Now the curtains and the headboard match. It works for me... since the set of sheets was used and were given to me !! The pillows for the headboard were a 'salvaged' foam sofa cushion... cut to the desired size. Only cost was the tassel to tie them back.

If you don't want to go that route, I've noted that bamboo-type or woven shades are the fashion in almost any room, with inexpensive window panels over them. At least that's what I see on HGTV (I'm addicted to it).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is an interesting thread! I'd love to get rid of some of our icky old blinds and replace them with a fresh new look. Something I'm considering is the thermal drapes. They're supposed to help keep the house warm in the winter and cool in the summer.