Frugal Village Forums banner

Yard sale and thrift store finds

7K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  Dancing Lotus 
#1 · (Edited)
Since most of here have a love for finding treasures in the most unlikely places I thought it would be neat to see what we have found over the years and still love even though they didn't cost much at all.

The pictures I have are all after pictures because, well I didn't think to take a picture long ago when I acquired them. Some all they needed was a good cleaning and a sorry attempt and staining them again. Some have gone through a transformation more than once.

Can't wait to see what others have!

The first picture is an old tv armoire that was just unstained wood at one time. It used to have glass doors. Once I had it in my dd's room painted all white with pastel baskets and the doors were wood. I took the inserts out and had glass made and then did that stained glass treatment on them.

In this latest it is painted black and white with diamonds on the sides (didn't think to take a pic of the side) the knobs are those glass knobs.

Both of these are in my bedroom

The second piece I got at a yard sale for 20.00 it was a brite blue. Now it is black and white and holds books and a few trinkets in the bottom.

See less See more
#2 ·
here are a few more
The cabinet I got for 7.00 and it holds dh's junk. I just cleaned it up and ran some new stain on it and it was good to go.

The chair is a part of a four piece set that I got at a consignment store they were kinda pricy at 120.00 for four, but I loved the curvyness of them and the fact I can change the fabric as much as I want. They were yellow when I bought them. I have had them white and now a brown. Black may be coming next. I saw some cook animal print at JoAnns for 50% off that had my mind whirling with the thought!

The coffee table I got for 1.00 yes one dollar! At a yard sale right behind my house. It did not have the glass but so what. I ordered glass for 30.00 and have a great coffee table even at 31.00 it was a steal.

The rug under it was 20.00 at a yard sale and it is silk. The people were in the military and brought it home and were getting rid of it.

#4 ·
The buffet I got at a thrift store for 80.00 they wanted way more, but I talked them down. It stores all my craft stuff in it.

The tv stand I got for 20.00 dollars at a yard sale. The young girl had a neat hutch thing that caught my eye first, but it was already sold. Then she goes I have this other thing in the garage if you want to see it. She pulled it out and I bought it for sure. At first I was going to paint it white. I didn't really get to see that much of it till I got it home. I sanded it a little and put some new stain and varnish on it and here it is. It had two drawers in it that were fine, but I wanted it for the tv and we needed a place for th dvr and stuff so dh took out one drawer and made a shelf. He also added a shelf on the bottom.

The round table was from a garage sale for 3.00 it was an ugly green blue color. It has been painted white before not it has the diamonds and I love it. the drop sided come up and you can sit three at it. I just use it as a side table though.

#5 ·
I need you to go shopping for me :) I don't have the patience for yard sales and thrift stores. I am planning to pop in this weekend to see if I can find anything for my daughter's bed, but I not too hopeful.

My mother got me a tablecloth at the thrift store that I love, but I don't think I have anything else.

#6 ·
If we were closer I'd love to shopping with you!

#8 ·
I have more. I want to see what others have too though.

#10 ·
Any and all finds count!

#11 ·
A lot of stuff in our master bedroom was either Craigslist or Goodwill in origin. DH and I did not have any bedroom furniture when we got married, and I really wanted an older, solid wood set. I finally found this Henredon set on Craigslist for $750, which seemed a bit pricey, but it's a dresser w/ mirror, chest of drawers, 2 nightstands, and queen headboard. It's solid pecan and has dividers and trays inside the drawers to separate things. I love it and it will last us forever, so a good investment in my book.

The small wall shelf in the first pic was from a garage sale (about $2.50), and the plate on it was my grandmother's from her 25th wedding anniversary (free!). The vase on the corner of the dresser was from Goodwill (also $2.50), the memo board was $1 at Goodwill and I just hot glued seashells over the dirty buttons so it would match my shabby beach chic theme. The lamp with the green shade was from a garage sale ($1.50), the green "T" was 0.50 @ Goodwill, and the small cream pitcher was also Goodwill ($1.50).

The bedside lamps were $5 each from Goodwill and were originally dusty rose, but I spray painted them cream and put new shades on them. I made the twine and seashell tassels that decorate them.

In the pic with the chest of drawers, the window hanging up top is a vintage single-pane window I got for about $5 and completely sanded down, painted, and re-caulked the glass into. I made the berry wreath with about $10's worth of supplies from Dollar Tree, and the little cream birds were also from Dollar Tree and I spray painted them that color! The galvanized star was $2.50 at a garage sale, and the floral arrangement was a gift. The cat on the bed was free, but priceless to me!

I moved the pillows so you can see how nifty the headboard is. I'll post more pics when I get some time!

#12 ·
This is a built-in buffet at the end of my galley kitchen that has a Goodwill shelf (I think about $8), some art I got somewhere for about $7 each, an olive tree topiary from Goodwill for $7.50, and a cow shaped creamer I got as a gift. The dishtowels were a wedding present. I made the wine bottle lamp, but paid full price for the canisters, garland, and candied fruit arrangement (what was I thinking?!). The wine bottle box (green) was $4 at, you guessed it, Goodwill. The plate rack on the left was $1.50 from a garage sale, and the plates were 0.50 each from Goodwill and I used a rub-on decal also found at Goodwill to add the fruit to them (another $1). Easy peasy. The herb plaque on the right was maybe $1 at a church rummage sale and it's either Home Interiors or Southern Living. I can take more pics but for now my lunch break is over!

#15 ·
Thanks for posting your finds.. you both have a great "eye" for a deal!

I am not much of shopper and so my finds are few and far between. But we did recently get a great low storage unit made of solid wood from Dh's work. They were redoing the bosses office and just gave it away. It also has a built in file cabinet and it is an amazing find. The only cost to us was insuring our truck for the day to bring it home. But Dh also used the truck that day to take all kinds of stuff to the dump... so he made complete use of the truck.

The bed Dh and I have is from my teen years! I found it in the atic of my parents house ( it was very old). It is painted wrought iron and brass, and from the early 1900's. It is a small queen size, but I love that bed.

Everything else we have is pretty well hand me down funiture and some I would not choose but it works. And then I don't have to be so strict with my kids around the furniture.

Would love to find some matching chairs for my table...... so I should keep my eyes open for a thrift shop deal.

#16 ·
I love seeing all the pics of the great finds.

Will have to look around.......don't think I have much unless you want to see pics of my yard tools and pots that I have gotten at yard sales and thrift shops. :laugh:

I have a 'hand me down' (from sister) couch and matching love seat.....which I dislike but it was in great shape and don't have to worry about the dogs getting on them......so have kept them. Besides......the price was right! :laugh:

#17 ·
Love seeing the pictures - of course!!

Need to take some pictures - but I know it won't be until next week.

We bought an entertainemnt armoire from a neighbor, along with three tables - all of solid wood - created originally for a condo in Wailea - for $500. Love the lines of it - very Art Deco!!

#18 ·
Have three leather inlaid mahogany tables that I was able to buy for about $20 at a yard sale. I had to run to the bank to withdrawl money for them. When I came back the seller said he was just offered $100 for one of the tables. Also have a solid mahogany buffet that I got for free just had to pay $20 to have it delivered.

#19 ·
Love the pics and great deals! Most of my items are either from garage sales or Goodwill. I love old wood furniture as it never wears out! Will post some pics tomorrow and show you the deals I have found. :)

#20 ·
I wish I could find some great tables like those inlaid mahogany ones! This is another bedroom set I bought from Craigslist for $500. The set is a headboard/footboard (I don't use the footboard), 2 nightstands, a dresser and mirror. The bedding was DH's from his "bachelor pad."

#22 ·
Got these 2 lamps @ Goodwill for $4.50 each a couple of weekends ago. There were corroded areas on the brass that would not polish out, so I painted them with Rustoleum Oil-Rubbed Bronze spray paint and added new shades. Before and after pics posted.

#23 · (Edited)
Wow, I love seeing & reading about all the wonderful & frugal finds! Can't really share photos since I'm still in the dark ages using 35mm & scanner isn't working. I usually just stick wuth small decorative items that are great as they are or need a little cleaning. Guess, I tend to avoid the items that need work... maybe I should reconsider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.