Decorating Boy's Rooms
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Decorating Boy's Rooms

I was out yesterday looking for bedding for my son's room and could not get over the huge discrepancy between what is available for girls and what is available for boys. Every store was row after row of frilly, girly bedding and nothing for the boys. Nothing! I was in 6 different stores, I found one duvet cover suitable for a boy's room.

So, who here has decorated a boy's room? What sort of style or theme did you use; what colour schemes, window coverings, bedding, etc.

Pictures please, if you have them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We did DS's room completely in baseball, football and basketball.

*Bedding is blue and red
    *Window treatments are red
    *Walls are blue
    *Crown molding oak stained

*Shadow boxed several of his jerseys and hung on the wall
    *Hung his football helmets, bats and batting helmets (all ones he has outgrown)
    *Life size cardboard cutout of him batting on a wall
    *Various bookshelves and hanging shelves(one is made of bats - too cute) for his trophies, game balls, baseballs he hit over the fences, etc...
    *Matted and framed his certificates from All-Stars
    *His football for being Homecoming Co-Captain, his Troy University team football and University of Tennessee team basketball in display cases
    *Bought a seven foot high athletic/school locker at a yard sale- keeps all of his gear in it.
    *His room is around 620 sq ft and has an area with his TV, video games, futon and recliner; an area for his bed; and an area for his free weights, ab cruncher, stair stepper and other workout equipment.

*His bathroom is connected to his room and is done in our local minor league baseball team's memorabilia - autographed baseballs, pennants, players' broken bats that are autographed, bobble heads, etc...The team's colors are blue and butter (they are called the "Biscuits" and their colors are listed as Blue and Butter - but are actually blue and a yellowy color). We carried the blue into the bathroom, but not the red. We avoided using the yellow color as well. DD works for the minor league team and is often given team souvenirs, like special event baseballs, miniature bats that she gets autographed, signed pictures, etc...that all go into his bathroom.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My gf kept it simple for her son's room - he's 12/13 age range - camouflage netting for window blinds, neutral white birch for dressers/desk (think Ikea) that matches the camo window covers, camo bed linens and walls are an army shade of green.

I totally feel like I'm in a boys room when I visit and stay over lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do not have boys but when I was growing up my brother had a huge section on his wall covered in dark brown cork board. That way he could decorate with his own bumper stickers, posters, post cards, etc and it "grew" with him. His bedding was usually solid colored reverse-able.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, and if you really wanted to go crazy, have some fun with it, I would watch some Extreme Home Makeover episodes, they have some awesome ideas for boys rooms and you could take just an idea or two from them, scale it down to your own budget.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When first grandson was born, we did it all in baby cowboy theme. Daughters and I made the curtains, blankets, painted and stenciled. Everything in his room was crafted. Instead of a diaper holder -- we painted two crates and glued on western deocorations for them. It was the cutest room.
    Jan

Married to hubby, Rick 35 years *Mom to 3 grown children
    Grannie to 6 boys
    Foster parent to 50+ kids and counting

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When DS1 was little I decorated his room in primary colors. Solid colored sheets, throw pillows and blankets. I found 2 sets of drapes in the same style on clearance, but both were different colors, so I swapped one panel of green and one of blue for each window and had purchased cording in primary colors and twisted them to use as tie backs. It looked like I planned it that way.

I hung shelves with old fashioned planes, fire engines, and other boy related items that I had found in primary colors at yard sales. I even found a giant crayon bank in green. I painted a yard sale hamper red. I hung kites (in primary colors) across the ceiling, the tails pinned up. A fabric tunnel with pillows piled in for a secret hiding place or a quiet place to read or daydream.

I hardly spent anything at all and it was total boy fantasy room. His friends loved his room.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We're still in the midst of renovating DS6's room, but we basically are going with white walls and blue bedding/curtains. We bought him a nice twin bed with sliding drawers that he can hide things in like his boots and toys and such, plus it has a bookcase to store his books and his alarm clock on it. We're buying him a new dresser and nightstand to go with it soon, but we wanted him to at least have a new bed.

After that is all said and done, we're getting him things like posters of items he really likes. We figure that temporary decorations are easier on us than permanent ones. We have to change out his light fixture (because it has Winnie the Pooh on it and he's more grown-up in cartoons than that now) and do something with his closet doors. Other than that, his room is pretty basic.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here's a picture of my son's room, it's just yellow walls with blue bed and windows. The picture is taken with a wide lens, so it looks bigger than it really is.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Looks great! I love the wood floors in your house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My boys' rooms are still works in progress. Their bedding, however, they chose already. I hear ya. It took me FOREVER to find just solid colored comforters that didn't have characters, flowers, trucks, sports, or camo designs on them!

No real theme...they do have a collection of OLD license plates that will go up on the walls after we paint them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used blue jean squares to make curtians, bed spread, and table cover for grandson. Just got plain blue sheets for the bedding..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I bought fabric in character themes of the day (my boys are 26 and 23 now). . . cut out the characters and appliqued them to comforters, pillow cases, curtains - even liquid starch "glued" ;them to walls, furniture for decorations.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can make a "duvet" out of fabric or sheets. My boys do not like to sleep w/ a top sheet, so sometimes I'll make them a duvet cover from the flat sheet which has a theme and another plain flat sheet.

Right now my ds 7 has a denim comforter cover, it seems to match everything. He used to like spongebob, then it was spider man. It just seemed easier to use the denim comforter and curtains and get "stick ons" and posters for the walls.

Ds 7 wanted his walls spongebob "slimetime" green. I was leery at first, but it's actually a cute granny apple green. He loves it. All his furniture are handmedowns, but the bunks are really nice and his dresser is too.

My ds 14's room is a little different. We painted his walls battleship grey and the trim and doors are black. His dresser and entertainment center are black. We used a projector (borrowed from the elem. school) and painted a huge guitar and drumsticks on the wall in black.
    On the other wall we found some bathroom wallboard ($7). We screwed it on the wall (it is huge) and it is a dry erase board. Lowes carries it. Now ds can have his friends sign it, draw pictures and write notes.
    He has a huge corkboard too.

Ds 14 has two comforters he switches around. One is black and grey, the other is bright, bright blues, greens and some black.

Walmart is a great place to find this stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, I have three boys and when we moved into our new house I had the best time doing their rooms. Oldest ds is an actor so we did his room in black and red with a movie camera lamp that I got online. He has a director's/actor's chair with his name on it. He has a clapper with a chalkboard finish that we can write on. I framed movie posters from movies he likes and put them up. His curtains are actually some type of party decorating wrap stuff that I bought online from a party supply store with film reels, movie cameras, stars, etc. on it. He also has blinds for privacy. We have a Hollywood Walk of Fame star on the wall with his name on it. The pine furniture was painted red and black and his bedding was red and black. It's an awesome room!

Middle ds liked horses and we painted his walls a light brown color (don't remember the name) and he has Broyhill Attic Heirloom, warm brown furniture. I bought cute rugs for his floor (a cowboy boot, a sheriff's star badge, and a cowboy hat) from ABC. He has cowboy sheets and quilt from the Company Store. My Mom had her cowgirl shirt and my brother's cowboy shirt and my cowboy boots framed in western frames for the walls. He has a Company Store cowboy lamp. We put log shelves on the wall (again from ABC) and he has western knicknacks on those such as a pair of real baby moccasins and an Indian drum, etc. He has framed family pics in cowboy/western frames on his dresser. His bookcase is painted wood and I put cowboy Wellies on it. Oh, and he has a small wooden toybox with a painted pony, padded cushion on top. I made his curtains from red bandana print fabric.

Youngest ds has a wooden bed and dresser with a painted wooden bedside table that matches his room. His room is done in a dinosaur theme. The walls are painted blue and he has a dinosaur border that his curtains match. He has the matching comforter and sheet set. He has a dinosaur switchplate, a dinosaur shelf with tiny dinosaur finger puppets on it. He has a dinosaur rug next to his bed and a framed, cross-stitched dinosaur on the wall. He has a couple of framed dinosaur posters on the wall also and stuffed dinosaurs on the bed and in the room. He has primary colored cloth bins in these compartment thingies where he keeps a lot of his toys. Each one has nine bins.

Their bathroom is done in a fishing theme curtesy of Walmart (I think)...fishing shower curtain with fishing basket and lures rings. Fishing toothbrush holder, soap dish, light switchplate, rug, etc. The window has a matching valence over a shade. The walls are a lovely green with a fishing border. I love their rooms and bathroom!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast