Decorating Girl's Rooms
    Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Decorating Girl's Rooms

Since we've talked about boy's rooms already, how have you decorated your girls' rooms? Pink & frilly, special theme, country, modern?

My daughter's room is sage green, a fairly neutral colour, with a flowered quilt on the bed and embroidered sheers on the window to make it look girly (or old ladyish ). Her wooden doll bed and tea table are in her room, the plastic toys are in the closet. We painted a chalkboard on her closet door, that is her favourite thing.

At our old house my older daughter had a wolf themed room. I will post the pictures if I find them, although they probably would go better in the boy thread. The walls were a deep blue - I loved that colour but don't remember the brand or name - and she had a wolf border. Then she had various wolf themed things in her room - curtains, a framed cross-stitch, pillows, all her wolf doodads. We built white shelves about 3' high all along one wall, which broke up the dark blue and gave her storage for books and stuff (she's a hoarder). Normally I wouldn't paint a room that dark, but it was a large bedroom and got great light, plus the dark walls seemed to help her relax.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi MW! We've been down the frilly road with canopy beds, lotsa pinks, lavendars and lace for both my girls. Right now we're redecorating my oldest's room She's 17, and I gave her FULL reign (within reason), of her coices. I'm not sure what you would call the style though. Her BR set is cherry with wrought iron. It's feminine, and "perfect" for her age though. French maybe?

Here's some pics that I've sorta logged to refer to while we're planning it all out>>>

comforter and shams
    Check Mate: Check & Plaid Bedding, Sheets Comforters & more at dELiAs.com

curtains in aqua>
    JCPenney : Melrose 42Wx63"L Panels

her bedroom set including night stand>
    American Signature Furniture - Bedroom - Terrace Cherry 5-PC King Bedroom Package 0 4294967157&categoryId=4294967293

chandelier>
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_C3LeprMYGN...019_edited.JPG

sheets>
    Candie's Wild Thing Striped Sheet Set

The following are just more things that she's considering>>
    from targets

Slim Pendant Hanging Lamp with Vinyl Moire Shade : Target

eiffel tower lamp
    Eiffel Tower Table Lamp : Target

paris cork board
    Paris Cork Bulletin Board : Target

looking for similar to this
    30" Glass Table Lamp - Chrome : Target

b & W pillow
    Home Garden Party Toss Pillow - Black (20x20") : Target

i think i HAVE to get this one>>
    Xhilaration Lace Decorative Pillow - Black (10x18") : Target

Wall tattoos : Dezign With a Z, wall tatoos

a whole variety of floral wall stickers
    Floral art wall decals and flowers stickers: Dezign With a Z, floral art wall stickers, vinyl flower decals

She picked 2 shades of aqua for her walls. One is darker, and that one will go on her windows wall. Her accents are white & black. And she has another comforter set that I don't have pic of that's white & black, very "frenchy" looking. I prefer it to the checks, but her and her friends loved the set, and MY consolation is that it's reversable to a white background, w/kinda a splatter of the teal & black. When she uses the white & black set, I have some sheer black lace panel curtains for her. I hope she'll use it soon...LOL!

The thing that I can't wait for, is that my dh is building her a window cornice that I'll pad and cover w/fabric. I'll make some matching throw pillows, but I'm also wanting to use the same fabric to glue to the cieling medallion we''ll use with her chandelier. I'm hoping so much it comes out the way I'm imagining it! You know how sometimes things don't look the same as you imagine.

Your daughter's rooms sound gorgeous! I love deep colors in a well lit room. I hope you find those pics you mentioned, 'cause I'd love to see them. As a matter of fact, please join us in the Decorator's Challenge. We'd ALL love to see you there, and hear about your decorating. It's a pretty fun and active place right now!

https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/...challenge.html

Theresa

I forgot to mention that I can understand why your dd loves her chalkboard door so much. What a great way for little ones to be creative! Plus you picked a great spot for it too. BUT....as a mom, I think I love it even more than her, because it's the solution every mother on earth has been waiting for>>>the way to stop the crayon coloring all over the walls ...lol!
    Last edited by mamamia; 05-01-2010 at 12:28 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Have bought all the stuff for a redo. Changing wall color from pink to almost a light turquoise blue. Sheer curtains with blue in them. Getting a loft bed from Ikea $139.00-cheapest price I could find and putting bookshelves under it that we have, for the massive book collection she has. Her room is small but she has two large dressers and one tall one, a desk and a night stand. She does not like to get rid of stuff, so we have been working on that. Now we just have to have enough time to clear some space and paint

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Liane View Post
    Have bought all the stuff for a redo. Changing wall color from pink to almost a light turquoise blue. Sheer curtains with blue in them. Getting a loft bed from Ikea $139.00-cheapest price I could find and putting bookshelves under it that we have, for the massive book collection she has. Her room is small but she has two large dressers and one tall one, a desk and a night stand. She does not like to get rid of stuff, so we have been working on that. Now we just have to have enough time to clear some space and paint
    I know what you mean about the not liking to get rid of stuff. She literally has her kinda large closet filled with so many of her favorite old toys. She does at least keep it neat, so I haven't fought her on it, but...

Your dd's colors sound alot like what we're doing, even the curtains. I'm looking forward to seeing this soft color in my teen's room that is now red and purple...her so called "artsy" choice at the time..hahaha! So i'm sure you understand why I can't wait for the changes she made her mind up for

We should have the painting started next weekend. We have just about everything bought too, but need to make a final decision on the table lamps, and the cornice and ceiling medallion fabric. I have a few coupons for Joann's that I hope I can use.

Have fun with your painting ladies! Girl's rooms are the best to re-do, dontcha think?

Theresa

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here is a picture of my youngest daughter's room. I couldn't find the pictures of my older daughter's wolf room, it might have been before we got the digital camera and those pictures are all packed now.

Again, this was done with the wide angle lens and looks bigger than it really is.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is so cute!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All 4 female houseapes share a room,so getting them to agree on a new color for their room was a little tricky.lol. They eventually agreed on Raspberry Regalia. I thought that it would be too pink, but after the paint dried, it actually turned out better than I thought it would. We were finally able to afford (after many years) 2 sets of wooden bunkbeds w/storage drawers underneath and a 5 drawer dresser. I thought that I would have to make new curtains, but the ones they had matched the new colored room perfectly. When making curtains a few years ago, the girls couldn't decide what color they wanted & being limited on funds, I dragged out my leftover quilt squares & made curtains. I lined them w/ white sheets that someone had given me & edged them w/lace...found some lacey valances from another set of curtains that I had made & viola!...everyone got their favorite colors & it all matched.They have quite a few white shelves on their walls that hold all of their books,etc. The girls have their own little personal spaces by their bunks for their posters (lots of anime)...still need to do the crown molding