How do you choose your accessories?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default How do you choose your accessories?

I'm in the midst of painting the entryway, hallway and kitchen in our downstairs level of the house. I have the entryway and hallway painted, but the kitchen is not yet done.

This brings me to the decision of what to do with the walls once they are done.

We want a very minimalistic aspect in the house and the walls are very bright due to lack of natural lighting. The entryway is white and the hallway is Country Mist (which is sort of like an icy green, but the light can make it look either white or blue depending on the angle). The kitchen will also be the same color as the hallway. The trim in the hallway and kitchen will be white.

I'm not all that great with decorating walls and/or empty spaces. So I'm here for advice:

What do you decorate with?

Either silver or black accessories are ok with me and I want the space to feel warm.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I decorate with things that either make me feel good or have special meaning to me. With black and silver, I'd use ink drawings in black frames with a touch of silver trim.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What about a framed mirror in black or frameless mirror (ie from Ikea?) and hang by the entryway or in that hallway. Any light that gets in via your front door will reflect off of the mirror going further into the house OR just make the hallway naturally brighter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have the one window by the door and that already lets in a ton of natural light, even when it's cloudy outside.

DH told me that he doesn't want anything hanging on the walls in places that it can get knocked down by the kids. I can sort of see his point, but these kids have a tendency to knock EVERYTHING down.

We'd discussed putting a bench with a shelving unit in where the closet used to be. We're still working on the coat solution but we know we don't want just your ordinary five-peg coat rack. Against the wall that's kiddy-cornered to the window would be a small shelf that's anchored to the wall with a mirror above that.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Our hallway is too narrow to have anything hanging in it. I have a pair of candle sconces and a clock that belonged to my grandparents in the entry area. The sconces were a splurge (Partylite) when we first married.

In the living room I have several vintage mirrors that also belonged to my grandparents, and a selection of framed watercolors of places DH and I have visited. It's a classic, traditional look, but also casual.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by ladykemma2; 06-13-2010 at 08:00 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i like the way she has done her mudroom
    http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.co...t-to-post.html

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh my God, I love it!

I love Ethan Allen's stuff, but it's just way too pricy and too formal for us. The kids are still in the 'Oops, sorry Mommy!' stage of breaking things. Now the Shaker items, those are pretty. I'd have to get a dark stain on a lot of them, but the benches and the peg shelves are pretty nifty.

Quote Originally Posted by ladykemma2 View Post
    i like the way she has done her mudroom
    Thrifty Decor Chick
    I adore that mudroom! I saw Sarah's House and oh boy, her mudroom was to die for.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i have used a designer in the past...and, she says....lets pick some things you just LOVE and that have meaning and then we will work from that. only use a mirror if you want to reflect what is directly behind it...

we wnt from a bit over cluttered, to .....perfect with her help!

clear bowls w/ lemons or/and limes are also a useful decor...we eat them too!!!! and they look nice...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have to love it, it has to mean something to me. i.e. I don't buy typical store accessories or knicknacks. I decorate with gifts I'm given that I loved or handed down family heirlooms. I only purchase picture frames with the picture I have in mind to put in it.

I do like shaker or mission style for furniture as it is usually well constructed and simplistic. I feel it blends in to the background to show off my items.

The more I'm reading about home decorating, the more I'm realizing I might fall under "eccentric" style. So if you want it "well put together" I'm not the person to ask. *grin*

But you all know you love my orange front door.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MomToTwoBoys View Post
    Oh my God, I love it!

I love Ethan Allen's stuff, but it's just way too pricy and too formal for us. The kids are still in the 'Oops, sorry Mommy!' stage of breaking things. Now the Shaker items, those are pretty. I'd have to get a dark stain on a lot of them, but the benches and the peg shelves are pretty nifty.

I adore that mudroom! I saw Sarah's House and oh boy, her mudroom was to die for.
    i didn't mean to BUY ethan allen (grin) use it to identify quality and find used pieces or side of the road pieces. i look at ethan allen for decorating ideas, then go buy used.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I might end up checking out Homesense then. They're really fantastic and the items they have there are nice and warm. We want clean, simple and minimalistic. I think you have to be in order to keep your sanity, especially when your house is an example of what hoarding does to your well-being.

DH loved the upper cubby and the lower bench that I showed him, but he wants a bench that has a shelf attached to the back of it. After that, he's all for something that has peg hooks.

We'll be looking for a while.