Mixing hardwood?
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    3,898
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    32

    Default Mixing hardwood?

    The house we are buying has cherry hardwood floors in the hallway, they are in great shape but have been there for years and so the colours would not be the same as when they were installed. We are going to rip the carpet out of the bedrooms and put down hardwood, but it's not going to match.

    Should I go with something completely different, a really light wood maybe, and try to look like I want a contrast? Should I pick one as close as possible to the existing colour and just ignore the fact that it is not quite the same? Or do I just go with the same type of wood, even though it will be much darker to start with, hoping that it will eventually mellow out to match?

  2. #2
    Registered User Josephhgoins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Morrisville, NC
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Not sure of the expense you are looking at, but you should get your contractor in to help you decide.

    I am pretty sure you can put down new wood in the bedrooms and then have ALL of the floors refinished and stained the same color.

    Personally I don't see any issue at all with having light flooring in one room and dark in another.

  3. #3
    Registered User IntlMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    I.O.W.A.!!!!!
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3,714
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Mixing woods doesn't bother me at all........

    oh, and I am sooooo jealous that you are getting your new house.
    Enjoy your new lease on life!!!

  4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    3,898
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Josephhgoins View Post
    Not sure of the expense you are looking at, but you should get your contractor in to help you decide.

    I am pretty sure you can put down new wood in the bedrooms and then have ALL of the floors refinished and stained the same color.

    Personally I don't see any issue at all with having light flooring in one room and dark in another.
    There is no contractor, we will do the floors ourselves. The existing floors are in near perfect condition so we don't want to refinish them just to match.

    The new and old will meet in the doorways of the bedrooms. I usually leave bedroom doors open during the day.

    My personal preference is for lighter wood, especially with small rooms (which the bedrooms are), but not sure if that would look okay.

  6. #5
    Registered User lparker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Age
    74
    Posts
    689
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    >My personal preference is for lighter wood, especially with small rooms (which the bedrooms are), but not sure if that would look okay.
    Sure, then do a checkerboard inlay in the doorways using the two colors.

  7. #6
    Registered User mek42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Central NY
    Age
    45
    Posts
    867
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post
    The house we are buying has cherry hardwood floors in the hallway, they are in great shape but have been there for years and so the colours would not be the same as when they were installed. We are going to rip the carpet out of the bedrooms and put down hardwood, but it's not going to match.

    Should I go with something completely different, a really light wood maybe, and try to look like I want a contrast? Should I pick one as close as possible to the existing colour and just ignore the fact that it is not quite the same? Or do I just go with the same type of wood, even though it will be much darker to start with, hoping that it will eventually mellow out to match?
    Doesn't cherry darken over time, thus a newer cherry would be lighter than what is there already? If you wanted to darken new cherry, just put it out in the sun on a sunny day - make sure there are no shadows on the wood.

  8. #7
    Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    3,898
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mek42 View Post
    Doesn't cherry darken over time, thus a newer cherry would be lighter than what is there already? If you wanted to darken new cherry, just put it out in the sun on a sunny day - make sure there are no shadows on the wood.
    I don't know if it gets lighter or darker, just that hardwood always changes colour over time.

    I'm concerned about dark floors in tiny rooms. One of the bedrooms is only 7.5x10. I'd like to put in really light maple floors like the picture attached. I'm attaching a picture of the existing hallway, tell me if they would look strange together.

  9. #8
    Registered User lisaflex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,022
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    my designer says that as long as you have a "transition" piece, no need to match the woods.

Similar Threads

  1. Mixing Detergents…
    By momof2boys2005 in forum Laundry
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2010, 05:54 PM
  2. Mixing Compost Pile
    By Durgan in forum Homesteading and gardening
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-04-2009, 06:01 PM
  3. mixing coffee?
    By onencgirl in forum Question and Answer
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-21-2009, 05:03 PM
  4. Can I bake a cake in a mixing bowl?
    By Little Birdie in forum Kitchen Basics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-12-2009, 04:45 PM
  5. Mixing Compost Pile
    By Durgan in forum Homesteading and gardening
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-27-2008, 12:25 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •