Mixing hardwood?
    Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Mixing hardwood?

The house we are buying has cherry hardwood floors in the hallway, they are in great shape but have been there for years and so the colours would not be the same as when they were installed. We are going to rip the carpet out of the bedrooms and put down hardwood, but it's not going to match.

Should I go with something completely different, a really light wood maybe, and try to look like I want a contrast? Should I pick one as close as possible to the existing colour and just ignore the fact that it is not quite the same? Or do I just go with the same type of wood, even though it will be much darker to start with, hoping that it will eventually mellow out to match?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not sure of the expense you are looking at, but you should get your contractor in to help you decide.

I am pretty sure you can put down new wood in the bedrooms and then have ALL of the floors refinished and stained the same color.

Personally I don't see any issue at all with having light flooring in one room and dark in another.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mixing woods doesn't bother me at all........

oh, and I am sooooo jealous that you are getting your new house.
    Enjoy your new lease on life!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Josephhgoins View Post
    Not sure of the expense you are looking at, but you should get your contractor in to help you decide.

I am pretty sure you can put down new wood in the bedrooms and then have ALL of the floors refinished and stained the same color.

Personally I don't see any issue at all with having light flooring in one room and dark in another.
    There is no contractor, we will do the floors ourselves. The existing floors are in near perfect condition so we don't want to refinish them just to match.

The new and old will meet in the doorways of the bedrooms. I usually leave bedroom doors open during the day.

My personal preference is for lighter wood, especially with small rooms (which the bedrooms are), but not sure if that would look okay.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

>My personal preference is for lighter wood, especially with small rooms (which the bedrooms are), but not sure if that would look okay.
    Sure, then do a checkerboard inlay in the doorways using the two colors.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post
    The house we are buying has cherry hardwood floors in the hallway, they are in great shape but have been there for years and so the colours would not be the same as when they were installed. We are going to rip the carpet out of the bedrooms and put down hardwood, but it's not going to match.

Should I go with something completely different, a really light wood maybe, and try to look like I want a contrast? Should I pick one as close as possible to the existing colour and just ignore the fact that it is not quite the same? Or do I just go with the same type of wood, even though it will be much darker to start with, hoping that it will eventually mellow out to match?
    Doesn't cherry darken over time, thus a newer cherry would be lighter than what is there already? If you wanted to darken new cherry, just put it out in the sun on a sunny day - make sure there are no shadows on the wood.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mek42 View Post
    Doesn't cherry darken over time, thus a newer cherry would be lighter than what is there already? If you wanted to darken new cherry, just put it out in the sun on a sunny day - make sure there are no shadows on the wood.
    I don't know if it gets lighter or darker, just that hardwood always changes colour over time.

I'm concerned about dark floors in tiny rooms. One of the bedrooms is only 7.5x10. I'd like to put in really light maple floors like the picture attached. I'm attaching a picture of the existing hallway, tell me if they would look strange together.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my designer says that as long as you have a "transition" piece, no need to match the woods.