Have you ever completely changed your decor style?
    Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Have you ever completely changed your decor style?

So, I've always been beige and different earthy tones, my kitchen had a bit of a southwest feel - not all out southwest, just colour scheme and some pottery & sand paintings - the rest of the house contemporary.

My new house looks out on a lake, desert decor doesn't suit. Now I've got this 'Swedish Cottage Style' idea in my head. This is a total departure for me, none of my stuff is going to match. I'm going to paint my furniture, the walls are going to be blue, and I'm thinking about adding some more ornate pieces. Totally different for me, I'm nervous that it will just end up looking awful. Yesterday I had a bit of a freak out buying the blue paint - quote me walking out of the paint store "I'm not Swedish! What was I thinking?"

Have you ever totally changed your style of decor? Not just updated, but gone in a completely different directions? Were you able to pull it off? And did you stick with it or did you end up just slipping back into your old comfort zone?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to change my style about every 5 years.... not so frugal...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I once had a natuical theme with lighthouses, sea gulls etc....and the color scheme was all blues. One day I said "no more" and went with all earthy tones, lots of brown, green and red. I love it and still have it actually but it was time consuming and, again..not very frugal, lol.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yup! Right here! I went from the "safety" of antique white walls, in all the living areas, except the kitchen, and kid's rooms, to BOLDNESS anywhere and everywhere I could. (I was SO ready for a change) I was also very hung up on Victorian, Victorian Country, and what I called "Authentic" Country. ....not a goose to be found anywhere....lol! Now I've gone almost completely Italian, in my furniture style and paint colors. I've got two tones of terra-cotta in my bedroom and bath. And I also picked out a really pretty brown below the chair-rail in my LR/DR, with a gorgeous gold over it. Our family room is drenched in reds, golds, greens, and some black. Actually, I picked black as the accent color in all the rooms. Even the kids picked some black in their rooms too. But there's no mistaking the decorating style. My hubby is the proudest Italian you could ever meet, and needless to say he LOVES coming home to it. I should've done it years ago. Oh well....coulda, shoulda, woulda, right?

So try not to be nervous about your change, MW! Just go with it, and let it take YOU, one step at a time. Just think of all the fun you can have digging in thrift shops to find those perfect "ornate" things you have in mind. Take a look over at etsy dot com, and do a search for Shabby Chic decor. So, so many re-done ornate pieces. I like going there to get different ideas. There's always something neat to look at.

I really do love your idea. It sounds all together different than anything I think I've ever seen. At least the Swedish part anyway. Of course when I think "cottage", the 1st thing to come to mind is blue or turquoise, with lots of whites for curtains, etc. Is that about the same way you're thinking? I'd love to know more about the ~Swedish~ part of it.

And to answer your last question, as to whether or not I was able to pull it off, well that answer is a BIG yes, and I'm the one out there at the thrift shops still searching for things to add. I just scored on a ceramic, hand-painted, gold and purple rim, huge pasta bowl for $4. It was made in Italy too. It matches up with my dishes, and in this house, another pasta bowl doesn't hurt...lol!

You also asked about sliding back to my comfort zone. Not a chance what-so-ever! Believe me, once you break out of that "beige safety net", you'll never go back! I just really wish I did it sooner. So don't let your color choice intimidate you, because I have a feeling you'll be wishing the same thing!

Please keep us up-dated, MW. I really can't wait to hear how it's going to come together for you. I just know you're gonna be so happy that you found the courage to take that (giant ) 1st step!

So try to relax, and be proud of yourself too! I know it ain't easy, but you took a brave leap of faith when you actually bought the blue paint. For me, that was the worst part. The rest is a "piece of cake". Enjoy it!

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

change is good....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Absolutely, when the wife moved in. Goodbye, 3'x5' poster of Jack Nicholson peering through the door in The Shining. Hello, doilies and candles.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I change every few years. It's not all that expensive because I buy most of my things second hand and then sell it all in a yard sale when I'm done with it. I don't exactly brake even but it helps.

Don't be afraid , it's only paint. Most often when we step outside the box is when we love it the most. Have fun