Painting a Countertop
    Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Painting a Countertop

Did you know that you can paint a laminate countertop? My mother suggested it as an alternative when I told her that a new countertop wasn't in this year's budget. She had a friend who did it and it worked.

I've looked up the instructions and you paint it with oil based paint then coat with polyurethane. There are several sites with step by step instructions and/or videos.

Has anyone done this? Seems like a great frugal fix for an ugly countertop. Even if the finish only holds up long enough for you to save for a new one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have heard of this before as well and now they sell kits to do your countertops to look like granite. I was thinking about doing this to our home, once we can afford to. Good luck if you do it and keep me posted as to how it goes!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was going to do that but instead, we opted to replace it with another laminate one. I know Rustoleum makes a three-step process kit that's $85 for all three steps at Home Depot. If the paint thing doesn't turn out, you can get sheets of laminate that go over the existing stuff as well. You can buy those at Rona.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here's an idea that we came up with for a short term "ugly countertop fix". It's on my blog, here's the link
    Under $200 Kitchen Redo Our Little Green…

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

akolb, that green you hated on the kitchen walls - that's the same colour as my ugly countertop

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Will be real curious about this if you do it MW71.

I wonder how easy it would scratch..........and if you scratched the poly. then would the paint come off/peel off too?

Be sure to let us know. Very interested!

I was just talking about painting laminate last week with a friend. She had it on her bathroom walls and hated it........ripped if off already! (someone told her you can't paint it!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't used it yet, but I bought a can of Rust-Oleum Countertop Coating for $20 at Home Depot. The can says it covers 25 linear ft., and it can be tinted in 16 different colors. The draw back? You have to allow up to 3 days for it to dry. I think that's what's holding us up on this project. I'm gonna do my bathroom 1st. If it's good stuff, than I'll do the kitchen. And I wish I could just recover it with more laminate, but the edges on all my countertops are rounded. So no go on that idea for us. And in Lowes I saw another refinishing kit, that's supposed to look like granite. They had samples hanging there, and if it's true to it, it looked great. That kit however, was around $200. Still way better priced than the actual granite, but I have a couple of chipped spots, and it's also warped from a pot boiling over near my countertop range. Not so sure I'd want to spend that much on something that's not in good enough shape. And for my kitchen being all 4 walls of counters, I'd probably need 2 kits. Might as well just wait for something new by then.

I do think it's a great idea! Let us know what you decide.

Theresa

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by akolb View Post
    Here's an idea that we came up with for a short term "ugly countertop fix". It's on my blog, here's the link
    Under $200 Kitchen Redo Our Little Green…
    Love the new look.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It looks great! I like the way those red knobs really take it "over the top"! Very nice job for practically nothing.

Thanks for posting it.

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I painted my laminate counter - it was in very good shape but was avocado green from the 70s. I just sanded the counter very thoroughly and painted it with several coats of an oil based paint. I don't think I used any polyurethane. (sorry I can't remember for sure -it was a long time ago). The paint job lasted for at least two years until I was able to put tile down. I think it is a great way to brighten up your kitchen for little money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Update: I actually did paint the counter, but I just used melamine paint not one of the stone look kits, and no poly on top. I just decided to do it on the spur of the moment because I couldn't stand to look at the mint green counter any longer. It's white now.

First off, it was a huge improvement and really brightened the room. Second, I discovered that no one takes more than a passing glance at counters, because I have had to tell everyone that it's paint even though it is very obvious.

It has chipped a bit in areas where I brushed it (around stove and sink) rather than rolled it - paint was probably too thick there. Also it stains, although a laminate counter stains as well.

All in all, it will do for now. If it gets too stained I can just freshen it up with another coat of paint.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Paint doesn't chip because it's too thick but because it didn't properly bond to the surface below it. Did you sand the countertop first and prime it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I painted my countertop. I first sanded it very well, vacuumed it with my shop vacuum, and wiped it with properly diluted ammonia. After it dried I primed it with two coats of primer, letting each coat dry thoroughly. I painted the counter with my color, 3 coats, letting each coat dry thoroughly. My last step was 4 coats of poly. My husband took the countertop off my cabinets and I worked on it in our garage. I do not put hot pots from the stove or dishes from the oven directly on my countertop. It has been a year with no problems. I love it! I don't know the cost because we had the primer and the main color because I used it on my railings, rustoleum hammered black. We had the poly from finishing our hardwood steps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess my process seems a little tedious, it took about 2 weeks. I do not have the money to re-do my kitchen for YEARS so this has to last. I painted my cabinets too and my backsplash. My kitchen now has a country look with a modern twist. I know the pic looks a little dark but its really not. I get so many compliments from people. Plus I don't have a kitchen that has the latest "cookie cutter" look from your local home improvement warehouse.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did it and was pleased with how it turned out. I found a video on Youtube and followed the instructions. I used Zinsser brand BIN shellac-based primer after cleaning the formica with alcohol. (I believe I also used TSP in a cleaning step.) I then painted it with a good quality gloss paint. I rolled both the primer and the paint on with a fine texture foam roller. The cleaning and primer really made the difference, but I have to say that the shellac-based primer broke down the foam. In other words, you won't be able to clean and reuse the foam.

I have been very pleased with the results.