Adding Personality to a Bathroom
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Adding Personality to a Bathroom

My bathroom is tiled from floor to ceiling so I can't put up any pictures or anything. The counter is one piece, white, and just big enough to put the toothbrushes & towel on, no room for any decorative items. I can't put up a towel rack because of the tile, so there is just a big blank wall to stare at when you are on the toilet.

The floor and wall tile are different but both are a mix of grey and pink, I'm including a close up shot of the design on the wall tile.

I stuck the bright blue/yellow pitcher on the counter as it was the only thing I had that all the toothbrushes fit in. It totally doesn't match, but it feels like the only life in the room so I'm leaving it for now.

Any ideas? - I'd like to play down the pink without clashing with it. It's actually starker in person than it is in the pictures, as the camera made it come out a bit darker.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

the most obvious thing is your shower curtain and what about a matching rug?

Are there no towel racks in the bathroom? that seems a bit odd.

You can also get one of those cabinet things that fit over your toilet, its like a free standing piece of furniture. Might make the bathroom look smaller but my SIL has one and it has a little open shelf for decorative items. I don't think they're that expensive.

I just looked at Kmarts web site and they have a wire rack that stands over the toilet for $29.99. that could add some personality.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The best thing to do is to embrace what you do have, especially if tearing down the tiles on the wall is not an option.

I would definately go with a soft spa like approach to decorating. A few luxury packed items such as a thick fluffy throw rug and a high end shower curtain could really help to divert you attention from all the tiles.

I am currently saving up for a shower curtain that is over $50. Sure it sounds expensive but I have calculated what I have spent already on trying to find the right shower curtain and if I had waited I could have afforded the one I want.

I am sure can find shelving and towel racks that can be put on top of tile. It may be a permanent feature but it will also break up all the tile. Having some really thick towels hanging up will also breakup the all tile walls.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Looks like you may be getting a freestanding towel holder like the one you have by your sink but for larger towels - will it fit behind the door? Otherwise install an over the door towel hanger or install hooks on the back of the door - not sure if your door is strong enough though.

Have you thought of giving these a try on the tile?

3M™ Jumbo Hooks with Command™ Adhesive 17004C, French/English
    The mounting solution that holds firmly and removes cleanly. They leave no surface damage and are reusable, creating an easy and affordable way to organize and decorate! Each hook holds up to 7.5 pounds with 1 hook and 4 strips per pack.

3M Id : 70-0710-1667-2
    Catalog Number : 17004
    GTIN(UPC/EAN) : 0 00 51131 76198 8

Additional Information
    Perfect for decorating and organizing closets, lockers, offices, kitchens, laundry rooms, mud rooms, kids' rooms, dorm rooms, baths, boats and RVs. When properly removed, they come off cleanly without surface damage and may be relocated and reused with a new Command adhesive strip

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The room is not big enough for the free standing towel holder, we have one and put it in there initially but it was in the way. We are planning to install towel racks on the back of the door.

Ideas on what colour shower curtain would work with the pink (without drawing attention to the pink)?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Is this your home, or a rental?? You can drill through the tile to add towels racks, you just have to have the right kind of bit.
    I would pull in warm browns to tone down that pink...without fighting it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would do a shower curtain like this one: the mint green and neutral browns will be calming with the pink and blues in the tile.
    Solitude Fabric Shower Curtain - Bed Bath & Beyond
    I would use the color wheel concept of opposites. While it won't bring out the pink, it will complement it and add harmony same with the browns.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Like Stinkbug said, you can drill through the tile to put up hooks or a towel rack.

How to Drill into Tile Without Breaking It | DoItYourself.com
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Light cream or soft yellow goes well with your pink.

Start looking around the department stores to get ideas. Usually they have coordinating stuff which will help you decide on a color scheme.

But I seriously think higher end rug and shower curtain will detract from the tiles.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would Get a Dark blue Fabric shower curtain like the color in the toothbrush holder and the same color rug and toilet seat cover for starters see how that looks.

Registered User WHATCHAMA_CALL_IT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes the command Hooks Are Fabulous! I love them I use them all over My house certain ones dont stick to certain Walls? But yes they come in handy and Love them! That is odd there isnt a towel rack. Mine didnt either, I had JUST enough room to put a stand up over the toliet rack.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Whenever I add personality to our bathroom, Ceashels makes me light a candle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had a similar problem when I moved into this apartment with my BF. Our bathroom is shades of brown and I couldn't find anything at the time that I liked that matched. I decided to ignore the color and just make my own theme/color. I went with a fish patterned shower curtain (the fish are reds, yellows, greens and blues) and sea foam green rugs. After putting everything in the bathroom I realized the curtain has browns in it too and the bathroom pulls all together. So maybe you could find a curtain and rugs with just a tiny bit of pink in them and pull it all together. We also have a tiny little sink and I put a small brown basket on it to hold small items.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You could add personality by painting the vanity, painting around your medicine cabinet a matching color and then putting up a shower curtain with colors from the vanity in it. One of the free standing cabinets is a great idea over the toilet and you could put baskets, rolled up towels etc in it to bring in more color.

Oh and if you ever want to paint the tiles to change the color there is a product you can use to paint them with. I've seen it done but don't know what its called. Its a special paint just for tiles.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Greebo you need some poo-puree it's a spray you spray in the toilet before you go so no one will know! It really works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast