furniture shopping ugh
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default furniture shopping ugh

well i have cash saved for new family room furniture although was planning to do 12 m same as cash and pay it off first month once it was here and all was OK ( i feel like if they have your $$ up front they care less about issues )

my family room furniture the frame is broken in both the back of the love seat and the couch and the cushions just fall back and you just fall back when you sit . the base was very springy and some of it sunk down . the upholstry is denim which has some faded areas and one ripped area i patched with a jeans pocket lol

my dh tried to fix the frame more than once and it still sunk back too far .

but i will admit my dh isnt the most creative guy when it comes to home repairs ( took him over 6 hours to put together a simple microwave cart once lol )

i think i have looked at every store in the area - nothing i like in a color i like unless i want to pay 1000 for custom made bleh no way

so using my dads passed down creative genes,his old electric drill, old hammer and some wood in basement and some old storage bin lids and the took broken frame loveseat and use it to fix broken frame and screwy cushions couch ....

. used the wood to nail the broken frame at base of back where you sit - stuffed extra stuffing from back cushions of loveseat into mashed padded back of couch ( pulled cover up from base of your back area seating area and tucked back afterwards ) it has its own loose back cushions but needed that extra padding so they sit properly .

used the flatter style bin lids on the bottom under the cushions - figured that stuff they show on TV is just plastic slats for alot of $$$. put nices seat cushions down for couch .

now i can just look for a chair and foot stool or a recliner on deep clearance because i had decided to do away with sectional idea or loveseat / sofa cause its too big- i want to put an electric fireplace heater into a cubby thats been cut into the wall since we bought the place that we usually hide behind a love seat .( i think original owners put a 1980s style big screen TV in there ) .

so saved about 800+ by not buying new couch .
    saving the other love seat seat area cushions people sitting on floor can sit on them - they can be piled up 2 high and be a foot stool for the couch etc

we dont buy second hand due to my dhs allergies not the hair- the dander which you cant really see or smell often but is in the furniture for good and if someone lies to sell it re having pets dh can end up in the ER if not the ICU !!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

do you have an arhaus outlet near you? fabulous finds there!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What a great idea!!!! With the holidays just around the corner there should be some good furniture sales. If you want to you might be able to find a good sale on sofa covers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well the issue is with the frame more than the covers . its still very fragile even with the repair. so a cover wont help anything the wood that is the back where say your but goes but under the cushioning is cracked - the springs are shot will be watching for something i like with sales etc .

my oldest son suggested a whole new way of putting a few things TV etc which we never did before because we thought the room was too narrow - he said its more family friendly more people can sit and face TV etc but now with the electric fireplace insert fitting in the cubby 1/ 2 and the TV being a flat screen that can go on top the the fireplace ( it is in a wood framed thingy ) theres plenty of room and now a freed up wall for a love seat of a sectional instead of a chair so more seating .

so now i need to decide if i want more cushy reclining couch / loveseat or a more streamlined l shaped -and can watch for what i really want best .

of course oldest dd called on her way to work her tire blew and shes due for an oil change and she may need more than that done because alignment was def off and a window is off track UGH
    and as long as they are in college and its not from an accident they caused we will pay for the car repairs / maintainace so my sofa $$ may go for her car .