Which would you choose?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Which would you choose?

Kitchen redo.

I will be able to change a kitchen soon from a hodgepodge disorganized, small space to a "look" of my desire. Of course, there is no budget as in no $$$. I am restrained by having a water softener and washer, in one corner, the sink is along that same wall, the stove and fridge are along the other wall which has the opening to the rest of the house.
    There is a window and a door on the third wall and I would like to put floor to ceiling shelving with doors along the only open space from the door that leads to the garage and corners with the window wall.

What does any one think you think would be most useful--a small round table or a small island that can be used for two people to eat at and also have wheels to move it closer to the sink and stove? The existing cabinets can not be reused and I would like to put open shelving where they is now-for the time being any way. The shelving would be mostly for display until the appropriate cabinets can be purchased. The only open counter space has a cabinet that I would like to replace with a dishwasher.

I would like to store dishes in a drawer as I am disabled and have a hard time with overhead storage. I usually sit to do cooking or clean up.
    If the island was on wheels it would be convenient for sitting and cooking. I will probably lower any cabinets that will hang over the sink, and the washing machine, for glassware and other things I don't want to display.

Any ideas, suggestions, cautions??
    Thanks for any help.
    lelap

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I really like the idea of a small island that is on rollers. It would serve as a prep or eating surface as well as offer storage underneath. If it can have it's own spot in the kitchen when not in use it won't seem out of place when not in use.

Open shelving is nice but if you have pets.... keeping everything dust free is a pita. One of my clients has open shelves in her kitchen and they are filled with everything.... because all the little things that aren't thrown away are put there. Perhaps the use of baskets with handles or cut outs would work to store items on the open shelves. It keeps visual clutter to a minimum and would allow easier access (I'm thinking baskets for light weight items like your assortment of teas/coffees, powdered mixes, or seldom used items that may typically be stored in the cupboards that would be better served for keeping the frequently used or heavier items.

I look forward to reading other ideas as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I LOVE the rolling island idea. And Ceashels is right about open shelving - I hated it. But the basket idea is appealing. Have fun with your project. Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into it already.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dd has a small kitchen and an island that has an fold down table so it can increase in size and fits stools underneath it. It is so handy to do food prep, serve, sit and talk while others are preparing food and yes it's on wheels. It also has drawers for silverware and spice rack on side. One of the best investments she's made and it's been so helpful in any apartment she's lived in. It's closest to this in style but the spices are hidden on the side behind a door. Wood Top Kitchen Cart w/ Wood Drop Leaf Breakfast Bar-5089-95 at The Home Depot
    Everytime she moves new the tenants wish she'd leave it behind.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like the ideal of an island that rolls and fold down.. Open cabinets are beautiful but are a pain to keep clean... I would google small apartments kitchen designs and print pics that u like to see if that would be any help to u.....Also the benefit of pics you can achieve the look for fraction of the cost with a little looking.....Good luck and post pics of your success.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A rolling island with storage in it and a leaf to make it bigger for a table too sounds perfect for your needs.

As for the open shelving...trust me...you don't want it especially if you are disabled. It is pretty to look at if it can be kept clean, neat and organized but it is not in the least big practical.

You also mentioned putting dishes in a drawer. If you do that you need to make sure the drawers have some heavy duty drawer slides because the weight of the dishes can break them.

Another idea for a small kitchen for someone disabled is a table hinged to the wall that can be let up or down. Its a good space saving idea.

You might want to consider only pull out drawers in your bottom cabinets for easier access.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't forget you can pretty much make anything a rolling cart by adding your own wheels. Just make sure to get the wheels that you can press the tab so they do not roll.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think the open shelves might someday be replaced with glass front cabinets--I don't like looking at dust! Or the little things like you suggested.
    It seems that open shelving(that I see online or in magazines) is used mostly for display.
    Which is what I would do--something with just a few things to dust around. Since I can't reach up to gather items easily it seems like that would would for me, with just a few things stored lower in baskets or bins or some of the antique jars ect, that I have inherited.
    lelap

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Darlene:
    YES!! that's a wonderful example of what I was hoping would work. Thanks so much for the picture. I think I would like the door and some extra shelves on the side where the spices are shown like your DD has. For once in my life I would like to be able to keep things at hand, but out of sight. Getting DH to cooperate is another story.
    lelap

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

oheoh,
    The inter net has been a good source of ideas, but so many cost to much. We're starting over after job loss, disability, and foreclosure. Times have been tough. We are living with DH's mom and can't change anything yet--many of the changes would be cosmetic, and my fingers are itching to get started. Alas, I'm a guest in this house and don't really know what the future will be. I spend a lot of time redesigning the rooms with our very own stuff which is stored in a friend's basement so I really don't remember what we had! It's been a long time...
    I sure will post pictures if the day ever comes to make the house our own.
    lelap
    Last edited by lelap; 12-30-2011 at 08:55 AM. Reason: unclear wording

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

heartofmine,
    Thanks for all the good ideas. Yes the drawers would have to be adapted for heavy dishes, but I've noticed a lot of kitchens are designed with the dishes in drawers, so the conversion materials should be available. I was just pondering the pull down table idea yesterday, there is a spot by the door that would work, but I think the fold down on an island would better suit our purposes.

Pull out shelves would be great for the lower cabinets, what with all the little appliances we have. I don't think there will be enough counter space to have anything out--which is actually the look I want. Plus if the counters are clear, they are much easier to keep clean and sanitary.
    lelap

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like the rolling cabinet idea as well. I am glad to hear everyones opinions on open shelving as we were considering it but not so sure anymore!

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We did transitional open shelving for the top cabnets in our kitchen before we redid the whole kitchen. I love the look, but as others have pointed out you have to be diligent with keeping things neat and orderly or it looks like crap. I was a nut about hand washing the glasses and keeping them all on the shelf lined up. All my dishes are white and bowls and things all matched. At one time I had some of my dehdrated things and flours, sugar, ect all in jars with nice labels on them.

The rolling carts is a great idea.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jas,

That's good to know.
    I realized that open shelves are more trouble than they are worth when I read what the other posters wrote.
    I kind of feel that way about the living room too.
    I'm either going to put wood blocks on table legs so that one side is higher than the other. That way when my OCD DH leaves stuff lying around it will slide off and keep the top of the table cleaned off.

missotisregrets