Decor blogs and Chalkpaint
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Decor blogs and Chalkpaint

If any of you hang around decor blogs and are seeing all the rage about ASCP but don't want to pay $FIFTY FREAKING DOLLARS A QUART.....sorry......I just wanted to throw it out there I have been making my own for cheap.

Just mix equal amounts of artist gesso with acrylic or flat paint. That is it.

I use white gesso mostly but if you are using dark paint like black or blue and probably reds and purples you may want to use grey gesso.

Also, the no sand part of chalk paint is true.

Chalk paint is paint plus calcium carbonate. Gesso os calcium carbonate and adhesive or primer so to speak.

If you go to Hobby Lobby or Michaels you can get the gesso is many sizes and also you can use your 40-50% off coupons!

I've done a wooden lidded chest in duck egg blue. A 6 drawer box, and a HUGE dresser in black.

After you paint it and distress it be sure and use the minwax paste wax. You can get it online or like me at Home Depot in the paint section.

Any questions just ask!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ooooooh-if there still was a thank button I would click it a thousand times if I could! I too have noticed all the talk of chalkpaint, and just about keeled over when I priced it.

This will be invaluable to me. Can't wait to try it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks! I like the look of the things I've seen done in chalk paint. My question is: does it come off if you touch the paint once it's dried, since it's chalky. We have children, so anything we paint needs to stand up to being wiped down at times.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by bonnotsm9 View Post
    Thanks! I like the look of the things I've seen done in chalk paint. My question is: does it come off if you touch the paint once it's dried, since it's chalky. We have children, so anything we paint needs to stand up to being wiped down at times.
    Not at all. It isn't chalky in that way at all. The WAX is what gives it a nice smooth feel.

Always use the wax top coat when you're done to protect it and it deepens the colors and adds a slight shine when buffed.

I wouldn't use it anywhere you need to scrub on. I stick with semi glosses and enamels for that but thats just my opinion.

Find a small somethiing,even a board will do, and paint it with 2 coats of chalk paint. Add a stencil or even painted words like kitchen for example. Get your sand paper and distress it. If you want color under the distress you have to apply that color before you chalkpaint the piece. Get some minwax stain. I like walnut. Spread it on and then wipe it off. IT WILL DARKEN a lot. Then get the wax and start rubbing it on and the stain will start to come off. Rub it harder and softer to get the old feel you want. Let it sit a few minutes and then get a clean rag and start buffing till it feels smooth.

That is all it is and it is so much fun to up cycle old stuff that would otherwise be trash or garage sale fodder.

Today I did a silverware box in white with stencils, stamped clock faces and a darling phrase. It came out a nice deep tan.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cricketlegs - could you post some pictures of the things you've done? I'd love to see them to get some ideas for old stuff I have!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by RaineyDaye View Post
    Cricketlegs - could you post some pictures of the things you've done? I'd love to see them to get some ideas for old stuff I have!
    I don't know how to post pictures. I used to on other forums but that was YEARS ago.!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can make your own chalk paint by adding two tablespoons of tile grout to a quart of latex paint, any color. It works and it's inexpensive, not to mention a fun way to decorate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have heard of that method but decided to go with the gesso for 2 reasons.

1. because "real" chalk paint is made from calcium carbonate which is what gesso is made from and 2. because some were saying the grout method was lumpy and took alot of stirring although the grout method would be a lot cheaper to make for sure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you for the info. I'll have to try that method.