Do you or your dh make things for your home?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Do you or your dh make things for your home?

Crafts, furniture, sewing or other needlework etc?

I am blessed that my dh can work with wood and does make some things for me. I like to make things like wreaths and repurpose other items. I've done some sewing but my eye sight is getting worse so I don't do much of that anymore. I like to paint too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, yeah! I'm usually the one doing stuff, or at least directing the work. My husband isn't real handy but he takes direction pretty well and is a very good gofer.

Our latest big project is the new camper we just bought. So far I've installed shelves under the sink, and together, we removed two panels that prevented access to a lot of precious storage space in there. One of those has been replaced already. The other will have to wait till we get back from vacation, when I'll build drawers for that cabinet.

I do wiring, plumbing, and carpentry, pretty much anything that needs to be done around here. I also sew and do crafts.

The one thing I really suck at is keeping an orderly home.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mostly DH just makes a mess. He *can* do woodwork, wiring, etc. but he's not keen on it. He put down our kitchen floor a few years ago, but these days I just hire someone for big projects. DH tires easily now and prefers to do other things with his free time.

I sew, so I can do pillows, quilts, table runners, etc, but I haven't made a lot as it's not really my style. I studied cabinet-making in school, so I can do reasonably good furniture, there's just no space for tools and working.

This afternoon I'm going to finish painting the bathroom. I painted and papered it when we moved her and it's time for an update.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Spirit Deer the one thing I have learned reading on this board is that you are one very talented lady and you really know your stuff...and know how to do a "lot" of different things. I really enjoy your posts.

Country Housewife I've always enjoyed painting and wallpapering. I did a lot of that in our other house. We just moved into a newly built one and although I've got a million things to organize and get decorated I miss not having walls to paint or paper. I've got a little bit of touch up painting where furniture was moved in but that is about it.

...and btw I don't think many men are to keen on our honey do lists. LOL I know mine isn't.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Spirit Deer - you're wrong. You're an expert at maintaining an unregimented, carefree living environment. At least that's how I, another pro at this skill, like to look at it!

I've done other things in the past, but now I just crochet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I do a lot of things: quilting, rugs, knitting, sewing curtains and pillow covers... I also refinish furniture we scavenge from online swap sites. If there's something happening on house construction, I'm the one that draws the plans, or makes a written description (point form) of what we're trying to achieve and need for it. I organize the shopping trips too. I'm the painter in the house, so a lot of furniture finds my brush. I'm not perfect enough for the walls though (according to DH), so he does those...though they haven't been done in many years now. I can do basic wiring. I've also painted tiles for installation, and helped with the installation. I've helped with linoleum and wood parquet floor installation. I've helped with drywall installation, mudding, and sanding (yuck!). I don't do a lot of that now because of my bad back unfortunately.

DH is handy and very good at carpentry, wiring, plumbing, but he is also a perfectionist and can't handle the not square corners in this old house. He prefers to hire out on it if we can afford it. Our contractor is very thoughtful and has been training DH how to handle the house. I think he sees a future employee. I don't think DH is at all interested though. He finds it such a frustration. He'd rather read comic books, watch Star Trek, and do family history.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I make lots of stuff for the house. Everything from crafts and artwork to hang on the wall to a deck to silly little control systems and electronic projects. Tinkerer at heart, somewhat of a photographer, and my wife paints every now and then. So yeah, we both make a lot of things for the house

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hubby and I both do. He is starting to make furniture and I like to make things for the home. I make wreaths, embellish frames, and love to make things for my kids rooms.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are lots of talented ladies over here. In my case, I am not an expert in plumbing and wiring. So that's my hubby's job. I like art and craft and occassionaly make something for home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DH and I both do stuff for around here. DH handles all things electrical, and he loves to do stuff outside. He has built me a deck, patio, brick lined fire pit, gazebo, and a few garden decorations out of scrap metal. I usually handle the inside stuff, including plumbing. I've changed out a lot of the plumbing fixtures in the house, plus do most of the repairs inside. I also like to make wild-crafted wreaths, refinish furniture, make jewelry, and I sew a bit.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My husband is very handy, but he doesn't like to change things. He likes to do his projects in his free time. Pretty frustrating! lol So I do what I can. I am the painter, rearranger, redecorator. Wish I could build things, but usually just look for things at yard sales/thrift shops that will improve my home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not really but I did paint a garland of vegetables on the wall over my sink. I drew it on the wall first using a picture in a magazine as a guide and then painted it. I'm actually thinking about painting over it now because I'm tired of it and it might be kind of out of style now but it looked good. I like to paint and stencil furniture.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My late husband was good at woodworking..so I have a lot of things that he built as far as furniture goes..

I am in the middle of screening in the back porch and sanding the hardwood floors in the livingroom so I can refinish them..

I do a lot of sewing so make pillows, throws, quilts and curtians..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We "can" make most of the things for our home, and can repair just about anything we own. I spin fibers from our animals and barter for some other more exotic fibers from our neighbors, then I knit and crochet the yarn into useful items. We tan the hides of our rabbits (and any game animals we hunt) I can then make clothing, purses, etc. from the hides/leather although we generally sell the hides for cash.

Dh can do simple woodworking (we don't own a lathe so some things are too difficult to mess with).