Tablecloth, runner, placemats?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Tablecloth, runner, placemats?

What do you use on your table? Right now I don't have anything on my table. I would really like to have a fabric tablecloth BUT it seems like with kids you would have to wash it everyday.
    I have tried the vinyl tablecloths and plastic placemats but I would rather have fabric.

For those of you that have fabric tablecloths, do you also use placemats on top of the tablecloths?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're an all adult household but prefer nothing on our table. Much easier to clean as needed and post meal. Should there be a special gathering, we do have a fabric table cloth thats washable. We're all about convenience here.

Perhaps try to find 7 bargain/quality you can live with fabric cloths that you can rotate through as necessary? Or perhaps a couple of tablecloths with a clear plastic tablecloth over top so you get the best of both worlds? (Easy to clean while showing a beautiful table cloth.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a couple of tablecloths but rarely use them. With a cat it would just get fur on it or be a complete mess from the sliding around when the cat jumps on the table. I do have a thick cloth placemat set out. Mainly because I want to keep the table safe when I microwave a plate of food.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made our tablecloth to match the curtains and I've covered it with a very thin clear plastic bought at WalMart.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A tablecloth every day. BUT, if the grands are coming, the tablecloth comes off. Even tho I have placemats, I never put them on top of a tablecloth. Or I just use mats alone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't use table cloths if there is a child young enough to pull on it and slide everything off the table. However, I have used table cloths for years with my older DD. I'm lucky that she is a neat eater, although, I sometimes forget that her friends aren't. Most of my table cloths have enough of a pattern that minor spots aren't noticeable. With a little sponge work, they clean up just fine.

And yes, I've been known to put place mats on top of my table cloth. I like layering colors.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We use vinyl tablecloths, but use washable fabric for special occasions. We don't mess with placemats.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We are adults only and we have cloths and mats. I got a variety on clearance, from yard sales and off ebay.

I also got a tiny brush and dustpan, like they use in fancy restaurants, for sweeping crumbs off the table.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have nothing on the table and use placemats. For special occasions I have a couple of nice tablecloths or runners but I would still use my good placemats with it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Neither one. Even when the kids were little we never used a tablecloth or mats. No one in my family, other than my paternal grandmother, has ever used either.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sit down at the table meals usually occur only with guests. I don't use anything during the spring/summer other than placemats. It's a round glass table and I like the more open/airy look. In the winter, I use cloths, runners, mats in any combo. I like layering things, too. I might use a longish round solid cloth with a smaller square cloth over that and sometimes matching placemats, as well. Also, as someone said, using a patterned cloth helps hide any spots.

If I had kids I'd use things like colorful beach towels or make my own out of terrycloth and maybe even fleece for winter months. Easy wash, cheap, relatively stain free. In fact, I might do that with some Christmas fleece now that I think about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oops...double post.
    Last edited by SueBee49; 09-23-2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Double post

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually have a runner or something decorative in the center of the table with a centerpiece. I have placemats and tablecloths but only usually use them when it's a holiday or we have company.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a center place mat type cloth that I keep napkin holder and things on but it gets moved to one side when we eat...We are a bunch of mess makers so need to be able to wipe it off after each meal..and there is no young kids here either..Just mess makers adults..lol
    Last edited by Brat; 11-01-2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: can't type

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use placemats every day (get 'em at thrift shops or antique stores are the cheapest places I've found). During holidays, I'll put a tablecloth down, that's it. We're only adults here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast