Adventures in Decorating Part 1
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Adventures in Decorating Part 1

I started out with what I had and worked from there. I now have only 1 dd living at home and she is thrilled to have her own room after having to share with 3 sisters.lol. This adventure started with decluttering. DD had a wooden white toybox that had seen it's better days & I was sick of looking at the sorry thing and nearly threw it to the curb until dh repaired it. I felt sorry for it, so I got into the leftover paint that we had from a few years ago's adventures in bedroom painting and I repainted it with a few more coats of white. I got excited when I saw how pretty it actually was - and how much more we could do with it.....so I bought a rose stencil for 2.99 and using my craft paints, I stenciled the patterns on the toybox. Now it is no longer a toybox- its a storage chest (DD is almost a teenager now).
    Next, I gave the bedroom a fresh coat of paint - again using leftover paint from previous adventures - a pretty dusty rose. Using the rose bud part of the stencil I used for the chest, I stenciled a rosebud on each corner of DD's built-in bookcase - & I couldn't stop myself from stenciling (it's addictive,don't ya know?) - I also stenciled rosebuds on the door frame of her closet & doorway.
    We gave away the big,cumbersome bunk/dresser/desk/storage bed that was in the room and was lucky enough to find a twin trundle/drawer bed for.......$25 on Craigslist! The lady just wanted it out of her garage.....so I stenciled roses on the head & foot boards and rosebuds on the drawers (i had way too much fun with this).
    Now all we needed now was a pretty bedspread and curtains. DD didn't like anything she saw online & I wasn't about to pay $150 for an ensemble....so DD must have read my mind when she piped up and said "Why don't you just make something?" We're on a very tight budget and the thought of having to buy fabric sounded scary, so into my fabric stash I dived and to my surprise I found........a whole bolt of fabric with ROSEBUDS! There was about 13 yds of the beautiful stuff that had long been forgotten. It had a border, so I had to cut that off & splice 2 panels together for both the top & bottom of the bedspread. I also had pieces of batting that I put together to make the quilt gut. I cheated and tied the quilt instead of actually quilting it. I used various shades of pink embroidery floss- also from my craft stash. I had enough fabric for curtains and found some pretty ribbon bows that I put on each end of the valance. Now after all of that, I just had scraps left, so I pieced together some throw pillows & added trim that I also had on hand - I had to buy a bag of fiberfill ($8.47) to complete the task. The last thing that we did, was that we bought 2 rose shaped knobs for DD's bookcase doors( $4.80 for both). DD's older artist sister will paint a unicorn pegasus with rose petals in a whirlwind canvas picture for her room & I am thinking about getting some pretty contact paper w/rosebuds to line her bookcase shelves/walk-in closet shelves and the inside of her dresser drawers.
    I will try to post pictures

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Name:  toybox 2.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  101.7 KBAdventures in Decorating Part 1-headboard.jpgAdventures in Decorating Part 1-bed.jpgAdventures in Decorating Part 1-bed-drawers.jpgAdventures in Decorating Part 1-bed-pillows.jpgAdventures in Decorating Part 1-curtains.jpgAdventures in Decorating Part 1-bows-curtain.jpgAdventures in Decorating Part 1-stenciled-bookcase.jpgAdventures in Decorating Part 1-rose-knobs.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That turned out so pretty! I bet your daughter loves it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    That turned out so pretty! I bet your daughter loves it.
    Thank you She truly does

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am very impressed! You did a great job!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, it all looks great! It sounds like you have maybe about $50 into it. Great bargain!

Nice repurpose of the toybox, too. It says "storage chest" to anyone who would look at it and doesn't scream "toybox". Well done!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What a lovely room!! I am very impressed!

Halfway between the Wolverines and the Spartans
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Beautiful!! I love how it all came together. Gorgeous bedding!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You did an absolutely wonderful job on her room!!!! Everything looks awesome!