Need Advice/Tips Please..Basement

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Need Advice/Tips Please..Basement

Ok, There are 8 people living in our house. Our house is not very big. We have a basement that is not finished. Our kids like to hang out down there and especially when their friends come over. I would like the kids to be down there a lot more or all of us just be down there more. I want to by a futon and a couple of chairs. The floors are tiled and right now I have those big colored foam squares down. I am getting ready to replace area rugs in my living room so I thought I could put the old ones down there.

I just need some more ideas. Storage ideas for books/toys, lighting, the celing isn't finished. There is lighting on the ceiling but it is like a big workshop light so I would like to unplug to not draw attention to the celing.

I don't know if any of you have any tips for me but if you do I would really appreciate it. I am trying to give my kids a place to hang out and feel comfortable but of course on a very limited budget. I am looking at this as a true challenge

Take Care

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Without knowing the construction of the rest of the basement (concrete walls?..unfinished?) the first thing I would suggest is to paint the ceiling. Whether it's finished or not, this will brighten it up down there a lot. Think about all the loft types spaces you see on decorating shows...they just paint out the ceilings (white) You can also paint concrete walls and even the floor! (checkerboard, faux stone look, etc)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Check out some local thrift stores for standing floor lamps that you could paint in some funky colors, the black and white walls would look really great with some cool lamps, misc. sitting arrangements (like old chairs slipcovered or as is with homemade pillows/throws), find an old table and paint it to coordinate for a place to sit drinks if you allow them down there and just have fun with it. Sounds pretty much like a blank slate and I can't think of anything more fun to work with

You might check out DIY.com (I think is the web address if not you may need to google it).

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks so much for the ideas...I will keep you all updated..It is going to be a project, that is for sure.

Take Care,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking one word--- PAINT --- it is your best frugal friend!

Look for warmer colours in paint. Off tints are really cheap and sometimes those are the darker warmer colours you could use for walls or floors.

I picked up some floor paint good to paint cement floors or patios last summer for 5$ a gallon. It was in a pinky beige tone that someone didn't like the look of.

I did my deck 3 coats (needed it) and also bought wall paint for the first room that we painted downstairs, in a warm deep taupe shade.

It has warmed it up. Chances are you won't find enough in off tints to do a whole basement so the other thing I've done, is get a 5 gallon pail which is a LOT cheaper than by the gallon, and you get it all tinted at once.

Look for golden undertones in paint, and get even the ceiling white tinted with just a drop of golden yellow for a "sunny" look. It will read as white, but have a sunshiny look to it.

Use a rental spray painter (electric pump) to do a basement unfinished ceiling to get into all the cracks and crannies quickly and easily.

-- be aware that if you do that, you need a partner with a roller coming behind you to roll out any drips, sags and runs in the paint, as the sprayer has a tendency to be thick and thin in spots due to beginner's technique. The roller will even it all out, even as the sprayer speeds you thru applying the paint. Works like a charm.

Dh and I did our rental units fast that way.

You can use it to do the whole place, ceilings, walls etc in a matter of a few hours, using the same white paint, then go back later and roller paint the walls and floors to what shade you want.

Tape off door handles, light switches, light fixtures, windows and things like laundry equipment and so forth.

Avoid painting the furnace or hot water heater, and don't spray near them. Use a roller to paint near those two as you don't want a mist of sprayed on paint to gunk up any sensitive parts.

Use Latex paint. You might need a thinned out coat of primer first thru the sprayer to coat it, but chances are you can manage with a good coat or two of ordinary latex. I've done it, and it works.

I've figured that if I need primer, to stop bleed thru, I can get a spray can of KILZ and spot prime anything that bleeds thru like kids markers or ink etc that got onto the basement walls for whatever reason. Then when the kilz dries in an hour or two, come along and hit it with the top coats of latex in the wall colour.

Once you have a basic coat or two of the warm white on everything, you can make an accent wall or two of some warm brick red or one of the tuscany sort of colours, a warm gold or terracotta shade.

The floors you can sponge on fake tiles. Benjamin Moore has instructions, although for me I prefer just plain taupe in a golden shade which is what I'm repainting my laundry room/furnace room area. It should blend with the laminate we put down there this summer which is in an oak shade.

You can also paint on a fake wood grain if you prefer. Graining tools are there in the roller section of the paint store, with instructions.

Friend of mine used varathane on raw plywood in one house, and she drew the outline of the planks with a yardstick and a sharpie felt pen, and then varathaned over that. she dotted on "nails" using the same sharpie in the places where you would expect nail holes.

It looked fantastic and it was in her laundry room, and back entry to the garage and it stood up to that kind of hard wear beautifully.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh and don't be afraid of painting pipes and wires and tubes etc that basements are decorated with. ICKY looking stuff. 2 good coats of sprayed on latex, and you won't even notice it's there.

You can still access all the pipes and so forth, and follow all wires, the paint won't make a hazard, it just cleans it up. And yes it sticks to pipes, wiring, undersides of floor joists, nails sticking out etc and makes it all fade away.

Later you can do a suspended ceiling if you like but one thing I wouldn't do, is to make a solid ceiling. If you do, you can't get into the joist area to fix wires, pipes etc easily without ripping a ceiling out.

with a suspended ceiling system you can. But that is for later, when you have more money.

Look for WARM white in flourescent tubes if that is your lighting system, otherwise, put in lots of good halogen and regular light fixtures to brighten up the space.

Halogens are wonderful, they shed a clear light that is a lot like sunlight, it's true colour, so it doesn't shade stuff to blue or green like the flourescents do, or to gold like a regular incandescent bulb.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for all of the advice. I am working on cleaning it out. I am donating and throwing out so much stuff down there first and then I am getting to work. It will be fun, I am sure..LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good luck with it! I have an unfinished room (not a basement), with no insulation in the walls and just beams for the ceiling. Right now, it is the dogs' room (has a couch, an old king-size mattress, and a dog-door cut into the wall with access to their run), with about 1/3 of it fenced off for storage purposes. But no you've got me thinking about sprucing it up!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug