bathroom remodeling on the cheap?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default bathroom remodeling on the cheap?

We have the vanity from hell at our house- it is HUGE. And it has a light pink top. We have a matching 3-mirror medicine cabinet, also huge, and an over-the-toilet cabinet. They are all darkish wood- the cheap stuff with the wood-looking contact paper on it and particle board underneath. We have no windows in the bathroom and our walls are currently primered with Kilz.

So, I want to do a cute bathroom theme and paint the vanity, medicine cabinet frame, and over-the-toilet cabinet. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Maisie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Maisie we've painted the type of wood look pieces that you're talking about before. You need to buy an oil based primer like Kilz (it comes in water and oil based, the oil base will help the paint "stick" better since it's such a slick surface). Firstly I'd lightly sand with a rough paper, just to knock off the slickest part of the surface and then wipe it down good to get the sawdust type stuff off. Then apply the kilz, 2 coats, letting it completely dry in between. Let dry for 24 hours and then put at least 2, maybe 3 coats of your choice of paint (but I'd use a bathroom paint, it will stick better and Kilz also makes some you can get it at walmart and have it tinted to choice). Let each coat dry completely before applying the next.

As for the vanity...is it laminate or or a marble top or what? If it's laminate you can paint that as well using enamel paints (i.e. oil based). You have to do just about what I've spoken about above to do that, topping it off with several coats of varathane or varnish to protect it. I'm about to do this in my kitchen on my laminate countertops doing a faux granite design.

Anymore questions? Do ask.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We painted our vanity with enamel and it worked great. We painted our sink with specialty paint which was tricky but also worked very well. We decided to wallpaper our walls because to cover some things and since it was such a tiny space it didn't take much. We also ripped out our old, yucky medicine cabinet and hung a new mirror and two shelving units from Target. We completely redid our bathroom (not changing anything big like tub, toilet or sink) for about $250 (probably less, but I'm estimating).

I highly recommend all different kinds of paint! We did our bathroom (tiny, our only one, no natural light or windows) in white with silver accents and I'm really happy with the results.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I first bought my house we had that dark pressed wood for a vanity. The first thing I did was to paint it and buy a new medicine cabinet. It felt like a whole new bathroom. I had that 70's green tile on the floor but was fortunate enough to have a white sink. I also had those old swan glass doors on my tub which I removed.
    It was just amazing the transformation from the dark to the light with nothing but some paint, a pretty shower curtain and accesories. I just made sure the print I put in, picked up some of the floor color. So if you can't replace it just fit it in to the new theme.
    I had the entire bathroom remodled a few years ago but the wall in the tub area needed to be repaced so we did the whole bathroom. When I told my sister that I was going to have it done, she asked me "Why? I like your bathroom".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So may great ideas! Thank you all so much. It will definately be the pick-me-up I need!

Maisie