Home improvement-ish question
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Home improvement-ish question

We're going to take up our carpet (which was never intended to be permanent and is quite yucky) and, for now, paint and seal the sub-floor. Has anybody else attempted this? We will eventually put in wood floors (not from a box, but the old-fashioned wood planks) but that will take time and money, so we're going to give this a go. We saw this treatment in a restaurant and it looked great and the owner said it's been durable. The flooring is like a luan or pressed wood. We'll see how it goes.

guest7
    Tourist

I think as long as the wood is sealed- you should be okay.

When I was 8- I was sliding under the bed- when a huge splinter stabbed me in the back. Parents did'nt know about finishing wood floors- so the floor was never polyurethaned.

to the hospital to have removed. 5 inches long!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We took up our yucko carpet last year, started redoing floors (hardwood) Our bedroom is cement slab for now, until DH feels like lying down some Trec floor covering. We lived on plain old slab floors for 9 months, not a pretty sight, but just us the 2 dogs and a cat, no one ever really visits us, and even if they did, we save alot not hiring others, so I really could care less!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My sister did this. Both the kids bedrooms are just plywood subfloor painted, which seals in any slivery splintery bits fairly well if you use that thick paint for floors.

Looks nice too.

My friend the bank manager's wife put polyurethane floor sealer, the clear gloss to go on wood kind down on plywood subfloor in her main floor laundry room and garage entry door.

It stood up to what was basically back door traffic and use, and also daily laundry use.

She was the one who used a sharpie and a yardstick to draw "planks" on the floor and she even dotted the nail holes with the brown sharpie.

She covered it with a couple of good shiny coats of polyurethane.

You had to look REALLY closely to see that no, it wasn't a plank wood floor.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh and I should mention that those bedrooms at my sisters have 3 kids each room. One is the boy room, the other is the girl room and they get plenty of traffic with the 6 kids.

The paint is working great, and her dh used a very light colour to brighten the rooms up. Looks fine, wears fine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's a great stopgap measure that we once did until we could afford our wood floors. The carpet we had smelled of the former owner's pets (urine) and was just dreadful. It was a huge improvement just ripping that stuff out. Believe me, the plywood floors were a lot better than that ratty carpet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I actually can't wait to get the carpet out of there. When we moved in, we had no grass in the yard and our area of N.C. is mostly red clay, so needless to say, that red clay has been tracked in by humans and animals alike for 4 years. Plus there's dog and cat hair, stains froms spills, burns from the fireplace (and from dh scooping still warn ashes into a plastic bag on the floor. Oh yeah, that left a mark) and various other icky sources.
    I'm just a little scared of making it worse or winding up with a sticky floor.

And I'm torn about what color to use. A light color would keep the room bright, but a dark color might hide dirt or imperfections better.

Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Go to your local paint store, and pick out something in the mid to light range. Taupe, warm grey, beige, tan, stone,

Basically the same colour as a carpet.

You can have fun. Suppose you want to try a colour that you'd NEVER buy a carpet in. Lime green, Rasberry pink.

Just pure white or off white will show specks, but funny enough it still looks clean when it isn't. My sister has white on the kid room floors.

Dark colours might show spots.

It won't be sticky, it will clean up easily using a sponge mop or a swiffer or a broom.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it will work great! I saw the cutiest idea in a magazine about 10 years ago.

A women had painted the floor and then taken large grocery bags and tore them in rectangluar shapes to resemble limestones. She then laid them out and polyed over them...it looked wonderful!

I thought it was a stone floor until I read more carefully...

Very cute and very inexpensive!

Good Luck ~ let us know how it turns out...