redecorating the living room (with no $$$)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cool redecorating the living room (with no $$$)

Well, I'm tired of the living room. I haven't really done anything to it in a while. I have no money to buy anything new, so it's going to be a challenge. I should have posted before pictures but I have already started painting furniture. I will try to take some pictures tonight. I'm going for the shabby chic look. Comfy and inviting. I have a few things that are going to work for me. My rocking chair and couch are slipcovered in a medium grey and my walls are painted a light yellow. My mom is giving me 3 lamps that will fit the style.

Everything else might get changed. I have already painted the coffee table and rocking chair (both medium dark wood) white. It's amazing how just doing that really lights up the room. I have a dark colored wood dresser and a wooden shelf on the wall that might get painted white as well. I will take pictures and you girls can tell me what you think.

I need new curtains. I can sew so I might just try to find some cheap fabric. I can paint the metal rod I have then sand it down in a few places to expose the metal.

I will update on my progress in case anyone is interested.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oooh I love decorating pics, I'm very interested. Did you do before pics? Do share as you go along!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thats what I did. My family room was all dark wood, so I painted them white and sanded them in little spots. I changed all the knobs to glass ones. My walls are pained in a soft buttery yellow, I found some braided rugs at a yard sale in a soft yellow and pailgreen tone. I used old wooden crates and an old wooden tool box as shelve on the wall. I also repainted all my picture frames in white and scrathed them up. oh, for curtains I like to use antique table clothes. My total spent was less then 50 bucks! Good luck and please show us pictures.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ooooh, I love the shabby chick look! Can't wait for the pics!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will take before pictures when I get home and post them. My mom and I were talking about using worn old floral sheets as curtains. I would love to find some so I'm going to start looking around at some flea markets.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

old worn sheets will be perfect, and if they are too bright just wash in a little bleach.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I want to see pictures too!

I have been working slowly but surely on my living room as well. I have been picking up bits and pieces at the 1/2 off day at the thrift store. I filled up my Mom's armoire that she passed down to me with little inexpensive antiques. A few of them were my grandmother's and we have one piece from my husband's relative.

I covered my couch w/ a quilt in colors of green, blue and white and found coordinating pillows at the thrift as well.

I still have a ways to go, however. I have paneling on one wall that I want to paint, 2 tables, and MAYBE a smaller armoire. I'm afraid of messing that up though!

Thrift sheets are great for curtains, couch covers, table cloths, and cut and sewn into throw pillows.

Now I just need to get rid of the huge tv and we'll be all set! lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I want to see pictures, pretty please

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finally pictures! These pictures are after the new lamps and after painting the coffee table and rocking chair. I still have to figure out what I'm going to do with the windows. I will post my next question after this post.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Now, here's where I need opinions. I will attach a picture of my entertainment area. It's an old wooden dresser with matching mirror. It's so dark it's like the black hole of the living room. Should I paint it white to match the other furniture? What would you do?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

BTW, my camera isn't the greatest. It makes all artifical light look extremely yellow. The walls are a buttery yellow, and the furniture is white. The slipcovers are gray. I think I'm going to do a stripe on the windows (if I can find something.) and the armchair will need a new slipcover.

You'll notice the animals wouldn't get out of the way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My animals always come out for the camera too

It looks good! I probably wouldn't paint the dresser white. It breaks up the whiteness of the rest of the furniture, plus it matches the frames of the mirrors in the room.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would paint the dressor but I wouldnt use the mirror. I also wonder if you could change the drawer pulls? I love the iron board as a end table.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
    I would paint the dressor but I wouldnt use the mirror. I also wonder if you could change the drawer pulls? I love the iron board as a end table.
    I would love to be able to change the drawer pulls but they are bolted on. I will take the mirror down and see how that changes things. The ironing board belonged to my great grandma. It was in storage forever and I LOVE it.

If I don't paint the dresser, what can I do to pull it into the rest of the room? It's so dark in that area and I need to add some white or a pattern that has white to blend it into the room. I also really like my plants there, but it just looks wrong.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with taking the mirror down. Then try putting your other 2 plants in white planters and putting down a substantial white lace runner or cloth over the top of the dresser to pull it in with the white furniture.

Or if you really want to paint it white, I say go for it! I think it would look good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast