Grrr! (Rant)

Thread: Grrr! (Rant)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Angry Grrr! (Rant)

Okay, there's a wooden mat I have been considering as a front door mat at Improvements. The clearance I have is limited, so I emailed them about how thick it is? (The length and width were already provided.)

So I get this answer back that is, from the photo, no more than 1"

WTF!

I can look at the stupid photo and determine that myself, thank you.

Sorry this is the type of brain-dead customer service that makes me seriously consider having DH make one and then Emailing the co and telling them 1) how much we spent (didn't spend) and 2) that the reason that we did such a thing was their lousy customer service.

Spending $ is not my favorite thing, but if I'm going to do it, I like not brain dead and/or rude people to deal with!

I guess I've been in retail too long (28 years) and so I know what I should be able to get, reasonably.

JD

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I worked for a major catalog company in the call center. Which was 200 miles from the warehouse. We weren't allowed to call the warehouse and ask questions. All we could tell the customers was what was in the catalog. Which the customers could read for themselves. Not fun.

I would call again and ask for customer service or a supervisor. The catalog really SHOULD have the full dimensions of the product, no matter what it is. The supervisor should be able to find out more.

When I worked at the catalog company, I was an order-taker for about two years before I moved to customer service. I had no idea how much stuff customer service could do because we were never told.

Nancy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Well, I wish I'd read your replies sooner...

What I did say was "If it's the wrong size, can I return it?"

And the answer was "Yes, but there's a $8.95 restocking fee." Which just got me mad all over again.

The really irritating thing about this is that DH can make one for me, I'll just have to make up a cutting list, etc. and put it together myself. No big deal, I'll just trade our time for money, the normal thing.

I've been in customer service too, heck, I've been in retail since 1979.... That's part of the reason that this made me so mad. If the guy had said, the piece is 200 miles away, I would have gotten it, no problem. But as it is, it just really ticked me off.

The "polite lie" that they as a corporation have, that is, that the cust. service person can help you, backfires now and again. And it just did. and they lost a customer and a sale or two or three.

JD

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default service

There is no such thing as "good customer service". No one cares anymore, remember that thread last week, "why is the world so angry"??? It's sad....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

WHOA! And I thought I was cynical! I think that it is hard to get good service from companies where their customer base is so large that the employees never expect to see the same person again (or from call centers where they don't talk to the same ones again), but I have gotten VERY good service from some smaller companies. Puritan's Pride - a catalog of nutrition supplements - is currently at the top of my "Good!" list, but it si not the only member by far. I have even gotten good service from a computer company on a tech support call (Sun), which is so unusal that they have become a source of humor!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've gotten some great customer service too and what I asked wasn't unreasonable.

Right after I sent them the last email I went to see if L.L. Bean had it. I would buy it from them. There are people who really do know what customer service meant.

Their attitude is part of the mentality that always has gotten my goat. "The purpose of a retail store is only to take your money. And if you don't like us, well, the next one will."

This means two or three things: they can hire bodies who know nothing about the products they sell or the company they work for and the consumer is treated as sheep.There's no loyalty there at all, either way, of course.

I have 29 customers who still subscribe to my business news group. I do 1-2 shows a year and sell maybe 12 books mail order a year to them. But they stay and keep asking me for books, info, contact, etc. because they know i'll go out of my way for them.

Maybe that's why this upset me so much. I wasn't nasty, unreasonable, or rude, I just needed more data.

Ah well, I have a picture from their website I downloaded. There's 18 trianglar shaped pieces to the mat and 2 rectangular pieces. Tomorrow I'll get the dimensions that are on their website and figure out what size things have to be, then I'll get the wood and get DH to cut it for me. After that, it's basically making a necklace, and I've done beadwork for years....

JD

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There's nothing worse than receiving poor customer service. I don't know if it's worse because you ask something reasonable and feel like you get treated like crap or what. When that happens I stop buying stuff from those companies. I get excellent customer service from Williams-Sonoma.com, L.L. Bean, Pottery Barn, Backcountry.com, Target.com, Plow and Hearth and a few others. I know some od these are higher $ places but knowing you are getting good customer service matters.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You did recieve poor customer service, I would have asked to speak to a supervisor. A supervisor could have got you the information you needed. Also basic information about the size of a product should be available in the catalog.
    In defense of call center employees I have worked at a call center. At the call center we were told only to relay information that was in front of us on the computer screen. Our calls were monitored randomly so we never knew when we were being listened to. We had a script to we were supposed to follow, with possible customer questions and answers to give them.
    Records for each employee were posted. this included.
    Average length of call,
    amount of calls taken per hour,
    average purchase,
    credit card applications taken.
    Incentives like paid days off, gift cards, free meals, and cash awards were given to employees with the best records. Pay raises were also based on the same criteria.
    If an employee had more than a specific number of callers asking to speak to a supervisor they would be subject to a talking too, get written up, retraining, or if was considered a problem, let go, This was also true of those who took to long with customers, or did not have the right "numbers" Going above and beyond for the customer can be time consuming and that means the workers cant service as many customers, so that will cut the bottom line. Which is how much product a company sells and that affects profits and so on and so forth. That is how many companies think.
    Good customer service is not dead, it is just getting harder to find. Especially since for most companies profit is more important than it's customers.