Redecorating with what you have
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Redecorating with what you have

Does anyone watch the last segment of that HGTV show where they take what you have and re-arrange it to redecorate your house? Has anyone done that? I just figured, I have all this "stuff", so why not try to use as much of it as I can before giving it away....not that I'll be able to make it look decent, but it's worth a try!'

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's not quite the same, but I sort of had to do this when I moved from a 3 bedroom townhouse I shared with 2 others to my own studio. One of my end tables became my corner coffee table, the other became my TV stand, my old bedroom drapes were sewn together and hung over the kitchen entrance as a divider at night (my bed is by the kitchen), the stand I used for my printer before is now my night stand...

It takes being able to see a piece outside of what it's "meant for." Right now I'm trying to find a simple rectangular dining table that will serve as my desk because a real computer desk is too much for where I have my computer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One of the best ways to reuse things that just dont seam to fit in is spray paint. You can make all sorts of mismatched items match by painting them all one color. I have done it a million times and it works wonders.

I have made all my pictures and old frames and mirrors match by paining them all black. In another room I painted old lamps and an endtable in green.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I DESPERATELY need a new computer desk, so I've been planning to get rid of the one I have, and use my dining room table as my new desk. More room to spread out, etc.

I also DESPERATELY need a pantry, so I was thinking of my metal cabinet that now holds office supplies. Don't know right now what I'd do with them, but if I painted it inside and out with some nice appliance paint, and added some stenciling, I think it would be the perfect pantry in my kitchen! Of course, that would mean moving the microwave and getting rid of that GHASTLY cabinet it's on (we were desperate...$20 at Goodwill), but maybe I can find a use for it somewhere, or it's out to the curb!

I was thinking of making one room a black and white room, because I have a lot of black and white pictures I bought a long time ago, and some b&w photos as well. I have yards of heavy black duck cloth that I used for table covers when I had my own karaoke show, that I could make terrific curtains out of, with some white striping added, of course. I have some old furniture I could paint black and white, and add some tiles or something. I'd pull up the carpet in that room and paint the floor with black and white diamond designs.

Whadya think so far?

OH! Just remembered the bookcases in my room! I don't need them both in there, and I could use one of them for the office supplies. Put a little cafe rod across the front with an old sheet for a curtain to keep out the dust....perfect!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by acidcookie View Post
    It's not quite the same, but I sort of had to do this when I moved from a 3 bedroom townhouse I shared with 2 others to my own studio. One of my end tables became my corner coffee table, the other became my TV stand, my old bedroom drapes were sewn together and hung over the kitchen entrance as a divider at night (my bed is by the kitchen), the stand I used for my printer before is now my night stand...

It takes being able to see a piece outside of what it's "meant for." Right now I'm trying to find a simple rectangular dining table that will serve as my desk because a real computer desk is too much for where I have my computer.
    We had to do a little of that when we moved into a one-bedroom apartment. What were our nightstands on either side of the bed, became (stacked on top o each other) a tall stand for the printer, with cabinets to store paper, big envelopes, and other computer accessories. We like a lot of open space, which is hard to do in a small apartment. We just keep all the furniture against walls, and in some cases stacked on top of other pieces to save space. And it doesn't look bad, either!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think black and white it a perfect way to reuse stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh , but if you do do a black and white pick one color to add a littel splash to it. Like a red throw pillow or a yellow blanket. SOmething you already have in a primary color that you make have two or three things of.

How about a green plant with some green throw pillows. I am affraid that if you go 100% black and white you might not like it for long.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
    Oh , but if you do do a black and white pick one color to add a littel splash to it. Like a red throw pillow or a yellow blanket. SOmething you already have in a primary color that you make have two or three things of.

How about a green plant with some green throw pillows. I am affraid that if you go 100% black and white you might not like it for long.
    I have a picture that has some very vivid colors in it, with a black and gold frame. I was thinking of putting that in the room, and adding splashes to match the colors in the picture.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, I love that segment when they do the "redesign". It is funny how sometimes you just need a fresh set of eyes or rearranging what you have and pieces of furniture fall into place. Sometimes just rearranging things or sprucing them up works wonders and makes you like the stuff you have already!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love that show called freestyle,(HGTV) where they take things from other rooms and redo the problem room. It's always amazing how something that looks awful in one room can look great in another, or just a little paint can make something look so much better. Since I've been on my no buy kick for the last 2 years I've come up with a few ideas for my home that have really worked out well. I think almost everything has at least 2 uses if we just look at them as an object, and not as something with one use. Does that make any sense? LOL, it is getting late. Of course when it comes down to you really needing something, I think we're more apt to find the solution a lot quicker. and isn't it nice to find that solution right in your basement?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by itsahumanzoo View Post
    We like a lot of open space, which is hard to do in a small apartment. We just keep all the furniture against walls, and in some cases stacked on top of other pieces to save space. And it doesn't look bad, either!
    I definitely understand this! My place just hits the 400 sq. ft. mark and I work hard to keep it feeling fresh and open. I hate clutter so I try to only have what I need and a bit more to make it home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Anna, you are so right! For instance, I have a sort of rolling island thingy in my kitchen with a drop-down side, but I took the rollers off so it would be the same height as the counter. I also have four bar stools (and no bar), which would be the perfect height if I put the rollers back on. So I'm thinking I'll use the dining room table as my new computer desk (sell the chairs), put the metal cabinet where the island thingy was, and use the island thingy as a dining room bar-table with the stools.

Of course, they won't match unless I paint the stools and recover them, but what the heck? Can't hurt! I don't want to paint the island, because it's really pretty light colored wood.

I'm using a stereo cabinet in my room to hold collectibles. I bought it for something else, but that didn't work out, so now it holds other stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am obsessed with moving stuff around. Every time I clean I change things around. My kids think I'm weird, but I see I'm not alone!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm a furniture mover as well, My DH says he always has to turn on the light went he enters a room because he never knows where the furniture might be. LOL, once he went to jump on the bed, and almost landed on the dresser. Serves him right for trying to surprise me!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mikandmari View Post
    I am obsessed with moving stuff around. Every time I clean I change things around. My kids think I'm weird, but I see I'm not alone!
    I thought I was the only one who did this. I change the furniture around like I change my underwear. LOL My dh doesnt mind he thinks I keep a comfortable house that he never gets tired of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast