Starting to renovate my kitchen...
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Starting to renovate my kitchen...

My kitchen is original 1978. Very classy..lol. Actually, I have oak cabinets, so they aren't dated. However, a few doors are cracked, some facings are scratched, a few interiors are peeling.

I'd love a new modern kitchen, but that's a good 10 years away. Because when I renovate my kitchen truly... there are walls coming down, plumbing moved..lol. BIG project. Need tos ave some denero for that. Ceramic tiles, new lighting, french doors, bay window.... so when the kids move out..lol. we'll do it.

So, in the mean time... I started fixing the interiors. Under the sink, I pulled out the old paper, it was gross. scraped it up, primed and painted it. Looks good. Cost 1/20 of $16(new quart of paint, had the primer and brush already). I haven't put paper down, but I have paper already.

The next cabinet, the lazy susan was broken, has been for a few years, so I bought a new one, $65. Dh cringed. I told him it was $65 of a new kitchen, smart man, took the $65. I washed it all out, laid down some contact paper, installed it,a nd it looks spiffy in there.

Now I'm doing the broom closet. It's being converted to another pantry. We're losing some storage tomorrow when the new appliances arrive, double oven no drawer, SO, dh is going to put a clasp thing bhind the back door for the broom, swiffer and dust pan, and the broom closet converts to a pantry. It will hold the dish cloths, flour, sugar, etc. The cabinet where those are will now house my pans. Cost... contact paper(1 roll $9, using on all lower cabinets), paint in the broom closet. Shelves will be of plywood, given to us by the neighbor. Dividers for the old cabinet I have from a bookshelf with file dividers we aren't using. Just need to drill holes in the base to support, or lay a layer of plywood, and drill the plywood. Either way. FREE.

That leaves only 2 lower cabinets untouched. Where the pots are and the other corner cabinet. Both need new contact paper, but are otherwise fine.

Then I'm going to paint na dput new paer in the upper cabinets. That'll take care of all the interiors.

The exteriors are another story. I might look into sanding and restaining them. A previous owner used a varnish on them, and did a poor job. These should have been re-oiled not varnished. So might take a drawer and try my hand at it. I'd love to get away from the yellowed oak we have now. BUT, I'm also contemplating re0doing the facing altogether. If I dropped the doors off with FIL, he could cut new ones, smooth, no groves(dirt collectors) and then I could paint them. Then he could do new facings for m. There's be only one full side to replace where the dishwasher is. And only 3 drawers. so simple. That would be easy. I jus twant a smooth door with routered edges. It would take time, but would be so worth it.

But one step at a time.

Cleaning up the interiors alone make such an improvement.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't wait to see it finished, please show us some before and after pics

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like some big projects in your future! What a huge payoff, though. Definitely get some before and afters, we would love to see them!
    Miranda
    Spending less is easier than saving more.
    Goals
    ~Spend less $$
    ~Menu Plan

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ok, first small projects complete!!!

We redid the pantry and the one cabinet for pans. That cabinet will still get a shelf. The pantry, dh decided it would make more sense to get a strip of finished shelving, than paint plywood(paint would cost more and we needed it to paint trim that's been waiting for months.)

Here's the befores:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh, we had some brackets and tracks that we used in the pantry, that way I can adjust as needed. This was from a previous home.

And the after pics:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nice Job. Amazing what a little paint can do, And, you saved a bunch of money! WTG!!

toile
    Tourist

You may love it so much that you wont need a redo when your empty nesters

Your ideas sound great!!!

Do you like those shows on HGTV where they redo kitchens and other rooms on a budget?
    I love them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great job. You have to love a bargain too. It looks great.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks!

The reason I want to do a major overhaul, is that the space is all separate little rooms. We're a family of 6, and they are only getting bigger. My table is 4x8, so it takes ALL the room(free table..lol... gotta love freecycle). there is just narrow space to walk plus the back entrance is a narrow hall. no room for more than 1 person. It's more than a kitchen reno, it's a whole floor. We're ina 4 level split, and when it was built, they really closed in the space. Move or lose a wall, and it'll be spectacular. BUT, we'll do what we can for now. I'm watching for tile this summer. I have found it at garage sales, for really cheap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Looks great

You might check into salvage stores like Habitat for Humanity Re-Store. I dunno if you have them in your area or not but they handle surplus items from builders and remodelers.