Fix For a Low Couch

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Fix For a Low Couch

I bought my couch 6 yrs. ago (one of the few things I have ever bought new). The cushions are filled with what looks like layers of batting. Over the years, the cushions seem lower, and not as comfy. My tush has been complaining for quite some time!! I even added a board underneath the cushions to support them. (springs in couch are fine) I watch TV, work on laptop, and read on this couch. I felt like I was climbing out of it, when getting up.

Well I fixed it today. I went and bought 4" deep density foam at fabric shop. I had a remnant of upohlstery fabric that I had bought a couple years ago. Couch is olice green, and remnant is olive green paisley. It looks perfect.

I cut foam to correct size (using electric knife) and upolhstered it with fabric. I simply pulled material tightly and used "ginormous" safety pins to fastened in several places on underneath side. I placed this under the cushions, and it is oh so comfy!!!!!!! My tush is happy again. We also have many elderly and handicapped people come by the house, and this will be so much better for them.

It looks as if the couch was made this way. It did cost about $60 for the foam, but that beats $800 for a new couch - which I was contemplating like a fool.
    A great fix and a no sew fix as well.
    Hope this helps someone else with the same problem.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

you could go to a mattress shop where they make them and buy a peice of foam... they have machines to cut it to any size you want and there are several thicknesses of foam.
    I bought some to put in a bay window for seating... costs 40 dollars. Then I had to cover them which I did myself.

Or

you could go buy some of those bed lifters ( the kind people buy to elevate the bed frame) and drill a hole in the center, then screw them on the legs of your couch, so they couch doesn't slip off.
    ( for those who also may have this problem and want to just get the legs lengthened)

I had a nice couch that was perfect except I hated the cushions as they were, so I bought some foam from the mattress shop and had them cut it to fit the couch cushion so there is one long cushion ( costs 40 dollars) and I covered it myself.
    Was worth every bit of the 40 dollars.
    Its 8 inches thick...
    and wow is it ever nice to lay on... super cozy and no cracks between cushions to fall into
    Last edited by M55FF; 03-16-2008 at 05:07 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I almost forgot. I also have a recliner/rocker in the same room, which sits extremely low. It's comfy when your sitting in it, but again, you feel like you are climbing out of it.
    I had a large pillow someone gave me (you guessed it - it's olive green and about 3" deep). I simply placed this on the seat of chair, and walah, my chair is easier to get out of!!!

My DH asked if this was pillow day! LOL
    I guess the older I get - I want my furniture higher and more comfy. I know I'm not getting any taller!!!!!!!! or shorter for that matter!!!!!!
    It all looks great together.