Looking for some DIY headboard ideas!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Looking for some DIY headboard ideas!

Does anyone have any DIY headboard ideas? We currently have a kingsize bed and have never owned a headboard, I'm looking for something that doesn't involve alot of sewing and is relatively easy to make and of course budget friendly as well.
    I'm pretty handy with small hand tools, and my hubby has access to about anything larger such as a bandsaw, so I wouldn't mind something that has to be measured, cut and put together.

I've watched alot of those house selling homes and while I like the idea of the cloth headboards, I would love something a bit easier to keep clean, if at all possible.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated!
    I'm so tired of my bed looking so blah and want to give it a more finished look, at least until I'm able to save for a new bedroom suite, including a headboard and footboard!
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Ever so slowly rebuilding my stockpile...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

well, I've seen headboards made out of a lot of things, including a fence it worked for that room... not so sure it would work for 'me' though.

To make a cloth covered headboard, get a piece of cheap MDF (3/4X48X96 press-board -- less than $20) a piece of thin foam the same size as the board, a piece of material bigger than the board. A few eye-like hangers to hang it on the wall. Some glue and a heavy-duty stapler.

No sewing required (unless the material is too small). Glue the foam on the board. Let dry. Lay the fabric right side down on the floor or large table. Lay the headboard foamside down on the fabric. Pull the fabric up one side, staple. Pull the opposite side tight and staple. Same with the top/bottom.

You can leave it as is, or add ribbon, buttons, etc. Add the rigging you chose to hang it with, measure, mark the wall and hang.

I have also seen headboards made out of just thick foam and they used velcro to put it on the wall since it was so much lighter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

http://tipnut.com/13-budget-friendly-headboard-ideas/

there are some neat ideas here. Depending on the feel of your room I like the picket fence style, you could add window boxes for additional bedside storage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I saw a panelled door used as a headboard on Trading Spaces. I thought it looked fantrastic! It'd be pricey though. I've also seen French doors and panelled windows used. The decorators put pictures behind the panels in one project and used stained glass paint on the other project. If you like a modern/industrial look you can use corrugated roofing tin.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Im not sure what your budget is, but I have seen them use wrought iron wall decor as head boards, they come in all shapes and sizes. If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, they always have those 50% off sales on their wall decor.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Martha Stewart has directions for making a headboard out of a door on her website.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow! Thanks so much, ladies! You all have given me some great ideas to look at and think on. I like the idea of using some type of door or the wrought iron sounds like it would be really pretty.

I knew I'd get some wonderful suggestions here, you all are so much help!

Thanks again!
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Ever so slowly rebuilding my stockpile...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have decorated with flowers the sides of wooden bed crib and used it as a headboard. I wanted my room to look like a country cottage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I saw a blog today that had one made from branches that were weaved at the botoom to stay together. It looked really pretty.

Dh and I made one of the cloth ones a few months ago and total cost was about $25. It was part of a side job he did and the lady paid $125 for it! It only took us 15 minutes to make.