How to get organized...
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How to get organized...

and to simplify my kitchen cupboards?

I need ideas! I keep moving things around in my cupboards, and I still don't like how I have them!

Like, right now, my plates are in the cupboard over my dishwasher, along with my glasses. Seems logical, right? Well, with the dishwasher open, it's hard to reach to put them away!

So, where do you store things in your kitchen? Where do you keep your spices? Ideas that will make my kitchen run more smoothly.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a "U-Shaped" kitchen. Don't know if this will help you or not but here goes:
    Left side upper cupboards are dishware that can go in the microwave and very commonly used baking dishes.
    Below that, the silverware drawer, then bottom cupboard is pots & pans. Stove next, with muffin and cake pans in its storage drawer. Nothing in over-stove cupboards 'cause I'm short and hate dragging out the step stool. Utensil things like spatulas are in a decorative metal basket near stove.

After stove we have more dishes that are decorative, or holiday, but can't be microwaved. Next upper cupboard is baking bowls, and lower cupboard is that spinning corner thing. I keep tupperware in that with lids in a decorative basket.

Sink. Under sink stuff has cookbooks, soap stuff, and vases.
    After sink, beverages and cups/glassware. Dishwasher does get in the way a bit when putting away glassware so I set them all on the counter as they are the last thing I empty from the dishwasher so I just close the door and then pop the glasses up into their shelf.

After dishwasher, upper cupboards are all food all the way to the fridge. Lower corner cupboard is baking stuff, lower cupboard next to fridge is "where the heck do I put this giant stuff" stuff. Like that party tray I refuse to get rid of but rarely use. That big ol' travel mug that I just can't bear to part with. Drawer is spices and saran wrap stuff. (I only have two drawers)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks! I think I'll take pictures tomorrow of my kitchen and post them, so you can see it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a galley kitchen. My plates and cups are above the DW but that is reachable even when the DW is open. I have the coffee cups, coffee, grinder and filters in a small overhead cupboard right above the coffee maker that sits on the counter.

Spices are stored in a pull out drawer right beside the stove - I found an AWESOME plastic thingy that tilts all the small spice jars at just the right angle so you know what spices are in there and my sis (God bless her - she was / is a WAY better cook than me alphabetized them. I've kept that habit and it's a cinch to see what I have or don't have and to use.

SO took a floor shelf and mounted it on the wall w/ heavy 'L" brackets. We painted it the same color as the wall and that is where I store my 'not heavy' foods - boxed and bagged foods.

My really nice cutlery (Thank you Robbie) I have on a magnetic board above my stove and it works great! I keep the utensils that I use a lot in a huge glass pottery jar in the center of the stove (spatulas, spoons, tongs, etc). I bought it a garage sale many years ago for five cents and the wording on it says 'I drank the WHOLE margarita'. It's pretty big. All the utensils and the jar get put in the DW on a regular basis. My cutting boards are behind a non-working burner on the stove as well. They're tilted against the back splash from biggest to smallest. God help me when I get a stove with four working burners! Ha!

I've kept the habit from when DS was a wee one and all cleaning products are in the cupboard above the sink and all cooking pans, metal tins, plastic stuffs are closer to the floor.

It's been a work in progress, but I think that finding out WHERE you use stuff and placing it there is key.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thats a great tip - to keep cleaning supplies not under the sink if you have lil ones.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like my spices in a shallow drawer too. I actually have one drawer with "cooking" spices, and one with "baking" spices, along wth my measuring cups and spoons...cake decorating stuff, etc.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have similar problems with the dishwasher. I ran out of space and had to put the mugs in the cupboard above it. It is a pain to put them away. I also can't open the cupboard with the garbage can in it when the dishwasher is open, so I am constantly opening and closing it while cleaning up (no choice here, it is the only lower cupboard I have). I keep the rest of the dishes in the cupboards that are behind me when facing the dishwasher, I find that ideal for putting dishes away.

What do you currently have in the cupboards that are most easily accessible with the dishwasher open? I would start by putting the dishes there. Putting dishes away is the task that is most 'cupboard intensive', so it should be the first consideration. It's great to have cooking supplies conveniently located in cooking areas, but the fact is, most people spend more time cleaning up than cooking. It is far less inconvenient to go out of your way for spices than it is to put armloads of dishes away.

So start by organizing for easy clean up, then use the remaining spaces to organize for the tasks that are most time consuming and/or frequent for you. For example, if you drink 15 cups of coffee a day, put your coffee supplies in the most convenient remaining location. Put little used items on hard to reach shelves, or even somewhere else in the house.

I keep my spices on a spice rack, but I would love one of those drawers for them. One thing I do to make it easier is keep them all in the same size jars, with labels facing out, in alphabetical order. I can easily grab the one I need without having to search through them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Now I'm thinking that I need to clean out my spice cupboard. I don't think all of mine would fit in a drawer.