Frugal Village Forums banner

Post your pics

Tags
pics post
2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Debbie-cat 
#1 ·
I was just reading another thread about what you like to clean and it seems that we have a few organizers here. If you read my comment then you know I am not an organizer of any kind. Take a few pics to give me some ideas of your best organizational skills and hopefully you can motivate me and a few others.

Reactions: mauimagic
#2 ·
What do you want to organize?

I wuv organizing. Here's a link to my latest project, a dog room. I organized all their belongings: http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/pets/140171-my-new-dog-room-recent-project.html

Um, I have filing cabinets with just plain hanging files and folders to keep a hold of the Paper Tiger of life. All are labeled: House, Insurance, Medical, Auto, School Work, (sigh, no more school work, I am an empty nester in a couple of months) Travel (for brochures of places I want to go) Home Ideas (I cut out pictures from magazines of things I want to do or purchase for the house)

Nothing fancy with my files, just resist the urge to create piles. Stick to your categories and put it in its file immediately.

Hope this helps and I'd be happy to help further if there's a particular area you need help getting started on.

#4 ·
Very cute room. I have a filing box but stuff, when it does make it in just seems to get shoved in the front lol. I will go through it periodically and organize but most of the time...no!

I need to organize absolutely everything to be completely honest. Things just seem to overwhelm me, such as the detail to things oheoh's momma just exhibited.:yikes:

#3 ·
I am sorry but i do not know how to post pics. but I will explain how I organize our paper mess. Ok down stairs kitchen has a message board for new messages and appointments. We have 3 different calanders, 1 me and hubby work projects and dr. appointments and grandmas and we coordinate the 3 but always double check the other 2. The date bill are due is posted on my calander with the amount. So not late.
we also have 3 pretty boxes the biggest is mine and hubbys, the next smallest is Grandmas, and the smallest is the 2 kids who still get their mail here. Everyone knows to check box. A list of all phone # are on the fridge door. friends, family neighbors, employers, and drs. last not least our utility companies with account numbers this is lamonated so it won't get dirty.
My desk upstairs has my coupons in one drawer. The second drawer is writing supplies and a calander with b-days and anniversaries .also sizes of family. 3 rd drawer has a large freezer bag full of labeled envelopes with receipts and warranties for tvs car repairs ect. the 4th drawer is for finances taxes, student loans, social security reports, insurance. Bills pd in full. checks statements works for us

#5 ·
maw-p; said:
Very cute room. I have a filing box but stuff, when it does make it in just seems to get shoved in the front lol. I will go through it periodically and organize but most of the time...no!

I need to organize absolutely everything to be completely honest. Things just seem to overwhelm me, such as the detail to things oheoh's momma just exhibited.:yikes:
Ok so you have a filing box and stuff gets shoved in the front. How about breaking it down to a box for each topic? Then you can just shove it in the box. I used to make these:How to Make a Magazine Holder for Kids - Recycled Magazine Holder Craft for Kids - Kaboose.com for the kids school work out of cereal boxes. I was not as creative as these people, I just left their design as cereal boxes, ha! But you could label the front:

Bills, Medical, Insurance, Pets...and just drop in the papers.

#6 ·
I wish I actually was organized. I sort of 'micro-organize'. Consequently, I end up with pockets of organization scattered throughout the chaos.

I do a lot of Dutch oven cooking and have a small collection of cast iron cookware. It got to the point I could barely lift the stack of iron frying pans from the shelf in the cabinet, and the Dutch ovens were a cluttered mess on top the buffet in the kitchen. I also had frying pans that had no home and lived on the kitchen table full-time. So I built a rack for my cast iron and I have to say, even though it's not a very professional job, it's one of the best home improvement organizational projects I've ever done:

The main thing for me about organizing is putting like things together, and making things as convenient to use as possible. Then I can go to one place and get what I need. And for me, if something is inconvenient to use, it doesn't get used, and then why have it?

I had a large drawer in the buffet that drove me crazy because it was full of small plastic Tupperware-style containers, plus all the lids for all but the largest plastic bowls. It was impossible to find anything and took forever, which was frustrating. I finally wised up and found two empty plastic containers that would fit end to end across the middle of the drawer, front to back. I cut the containers down to match the depth of the drawer. Into one of them, I put the dozens of identical lids for the square Tupperware dishes I have. Into the other one, I put the tiniest lids. To the right of the dividers, I placed all the small containers. To the left are all the lids for everything else. Now it's easy to find things. Searches are few and far between, and when they have to happen, they don't last long. That one little thing has made such a huge difference in helping the whole kitchen function better.

I added three of those mini-milk crates from the dollar store to a top shelf in a kitchen cabinet. I can't reach or see the back of the shelf, and stuff was always getting lost up there. I sorted all the Jell-O, pectin, pudding, etc into one, stuff like honey and molasses into another, etc. Now, I can easily take down a crate and know I have everything from the back of the shelf, take out what I need, and set the crate back up on the shelf. That's another one of those forehead-slappers that make me wonder how I got to be so old without thinking of it years earlier.

#7 ·
Beautiful display of your iron. We also have alot and it sits on my counter or shoved in the oven, which is a big pain in the rear when you want to cook. I bought a big pot rack that matches my rooster decor in my kitchen about a year ago but it is still not hung lol. Maybe I will nag this weekend until it gets done (hehehe)

Reactions: Spirit Deer
#8 ·
I don't dare hang that much weight from either the ceiling or the wall. The rack I built transfers all the weight to the floor, and the rack is attached securely to wall studs so it won't tip.

I've never stored anything in the oven. Then it's a bother. Besides, there's always the risk of pre-heating the oven and forgetting something's in there. A friend of ours set fire to a box of potato chips that way once. LOL.

I do have a rack over my sink where I hang aluminum pans with their lids and also my strainers, but that stuff is pretty lightweight.

I really need to quit acquiring cast iron...

#10 ·
DH told me that as long as I am satisfied with it hanging where a stud is located he could hang it from the ceiling, so now I am just waiting. It is a beautiful pot rack and I am excited about being a nag until I get it up now lol.

#12 ·
Mahalo for the great ideas - and pictures!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.