Things to get rid of right now - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a method for cleaning out unused stuff. I put it all in a box during spring cleaning, then date the box and put it in the garage. 3 years later whatever is left in the box goes to the dumpster. Tried leaving them in the garage for a year, then throwing it out but then i found i needed some of that stuff. so then i did 2 years and found i needed something again. So far 3 years has been a good time frame. I haven't found anything yet that i need that i threw out, and I've been doing this for about 9 years now with the 3 year wait.

Quote Originally Posted by josantoro View Post
    but I don't think dish soap goes bad.
    Yes any liquid soap will go bad. It separates basically, but you can't really see it separated. It will turn really runny and not create the suds like it used too. I had a refill bottle under my sink that was about 5 months expired and it did that.

Quote Originally Posted by RABBIT View Post
    The only thing I have on that list is old cell phones. What do you do with them?
    Most of your cell phone repair stores will recycle old phones, Best Buy has a recycle program if there's one near you, some Walmart stores have a recycle program, and I know Verizon has one, they'll send you the packaging to ship it to them, or did the last time i recycled one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had no idea that dish soap went bad either and am happy that I read this!

Also, I love the 3 year idea of keeping things in a box but if not used in 3 years, out it goes. At the end of the 3 years, do you just toss the box or do you look in it first? I can so see me having to look in the box and then be torn about having to toss some little thing (big things I can get rid of with no problem at all though - go figure, huh?! lol)

Thanks so much for sharing!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett_Kaye View Post
    Erma, I know what you mean about those papers that get hidden away and could've been thrown out a long time ago ... also I think that while in hiding, they multiply as well. LOL

I haven't been on here much lately - how is your daughter doing? I'm anxious to hear and pray that it's good news!
    She is doing some better is home right now was in hospital and rehab for for over a month she has gain a little weight back weigh 70 some lb got down to 60 some lbs, on a walker was so weak was in a wheel chair physical therapist come out give her therapy.Thanks for asking

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thew away some more papers today had quit go pay bills and run to walmart.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will keep praying for her. Also if you think she would like it - if you'd message me her name and address, I'd be happy to send her a card. (Hugs for the both of you!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett_Kaye View Post
    I had no idea that dish soap went bad either and am happy that I read this!

Also, I love the 3 year idea of keeping things in a box but if not used in 3 years, out it goes. At the end of the 3 years, do you just toss the box or do you look in it first? I can so see me having to look in the box and then be torn about having to toss some little thing (big things I can get rid of with no problem at all though - go figure, huh?! lol)

Thanks so much for sharing!
    at 3 years the whole box goes into the dumpster. If i haven't pulled out what i needed by then it's not needed anymore. I don't look inside or i'll want to save stuff i don't need So at 3 years i tape up the box(es) and toss them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This morning I found something else that could go on the list to get rid of.

Pens! Pens that still work but that I have found out I hated writing with them after buying. That has to have at least been 2-3 years ago and every time I open my desk, they're right there in a container that holds them and I think that oh, maybe I'll use them someday.

Well this morning when I opened the desk I decided that today was the day they're going out the door!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had a bottle of bleach in a laundry room cabinet. The bleach ended up eating through the plastic container after a few years. Called the manufacturer and they told us bleach has a two year shelf life. I had no idea. So I don't store mass quantities of bleach unless I can rotate it well. Haven't had that happen with another bottle, but it was a big mess.

Some products change consistency over time. We had some big quantities of shampoo/conditioner and some of them became thick and sludgy over time and others evaporated half out of the bottle.

Oils have become rancid (oil in bottles, crackers, brown rice) if not stored properly.

Marshmallow dehydrate themselves or become a sticky blob.

I have definitely become more discerning in what I store larger quantities of, over time.
    2020 Pay Off Debt Challenge: $25,675.45/$25,676.45 (Goal COMPLETED: Pay Off By 12/30/2020)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

evaporated milk tends to solidify past the sell by date. Really gross.
    Make America Kind Again.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by josantoro View Post
    evaporated milk tends to solidify past the sell by date. Really gross.
    That's good to know. I have some in my pantry and it is past the use date. I was going to use it in a recipe, realized I needed condensed milk instead and have just been hanging on to it in case of an emergency....
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

gross good to know! I tend to buy canned milk for just in case and then not use it. bleach I just use small bottles and found bleach tablets in the states which was great. no accidents w liquids.

some of those don't have problems with but stuff hidden in closets. had to go in the buffet drawer that doubles as a junk drawer..some ancient rubber bands..really need to go though it again but then you have stuff you may need like shoelaces but then who has worn shoes here with them. so project but you close the drawer lol. the reno has gotten rid of stuff. the guys also used rags too which were hanging around. have been going though stuff and filling thrift store bags. realized value village takes pictures ..leftovers from painting parties etc. so gone, going though mugs and decor stuff as I put things back. tins etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123